Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Khirareq

Atomic Games Workshop Crew

Hawo and welcome :)

The overall intent and purpose of this thread is to serve as a register of those who play the assorted GW games, and which ones in an effort to try to make it easier to find other players to hang shit on their painting ski... challenge them to battles and organise gaming sessions. It also serves the secondary purpose of providing a place to discuss pretty much all other aspects of the hobby, including painting, resources, debates over paints and other general chat - So feel free to hop in and post pics of your models or armies, or throw up your army list and show off your wins - Lets see whats going on out there

Have changed the profile setup around a bit, so should make things a lot easier - Go nuts and pimp out your post with whatever now, just dont forget to include information ;) If adding yourself for the first time, it may help to look through some of the others and work something out from there, but basically I would like location, games played and what armies are ready, rough guide to when your free for play, plus also what aspects you involve yourself in; whether it be playing, just painting, modelling, making counterfeit models with the slaves in your basement - whatever - It should prove useful to those who are looking for others

So, lets see if we can get a game rolling along this time ;)

Updated: 28th Sep 08

• Like 1

***Work in progress - 6th May, 2011 18:35***

Batemans Bay

G-relk #005 Preferred Game Time Aspects 40k

Brisbane

Dark Maverik #041

Fantasy

es02 #109

Fantasy Bloodbowl Mordheim

Master_Scythe #009

Fantasy

Canberra

Khirareq #010

40k Nec Other

TechHeadFred #006

Kalgoorlie

rainspider #??? Weekends. Gaming

Melbourne

Hector #003 Weekends, possibly a weeknight once in a blue moon. Painting and Collecting. VERY little gaming, but will knock around a game or two. Note I haven't played since 2nd ed. and have no idea about 5th ed. rules yet.

KTS #017

NightOwl #007

Perth

King_Of_The_Mountain #037

Sydney

Hawkeye #019

thesorehead #033

Wollongong

Mykl_c #004

40k Other

Preferred Game Time[/acronym"]

If you want to be added, them shoot me a PM with the following template filled out please

Player name:

Preferred game time:

Aspects:

Game:

Army:

Game:

Army:

Also PM me if you want content modified

Edited by Khirareq

Oh, you!

Player name: Hector

Pref game time: Weekends, possibly a weeknight once in a blue moon.

Aspects: Painting and Collecting. VERY little gaming, but will knock around a game or two. Note I haven't played since 2nd ed. and have no idea about 5th ed. rules yet.

Game: Warhammer 40,000

Army: Space Marines - 2000-ish (aroundabout, waiting on new Codex and some veteran Assault Marines to finalise)

Army: Orks - 450 (Go Black Reach! Will no doubt bring this up to at least 1000 in the coming months)

Player name: Mykl_c

Pref game time: Call me!

Aspects: all

Game: Warhammer 40,000, Warhammmer, Mordheim, ask me

Army: Space Marines - 2000+

Army: Orks - 1500+

Army: 'Nids - 2000+

Army: Guard - 1000

What happened to the old thread???? Don't like only 10 topics on the list!!!! Change?!?! Who approved this?? (Dave, I'm looking at you...)

Black Reach assembled, 15 lootas, 15 burnas, Bustas etc on the way! Ork ork ork ork... ;)

PLayer name: G-relk

Pref game time: Evenings

Aspects: All

Game: 40K

Armies:

Space Marines: about 200pts with current 'dex

Space Mariens: Unknown, waiting for new 'dex

Chaos space marines: NFI, need to calculate again

Player name: TechHeadFred

Pref game time: Weekends - Can do weeknights

Aspects: Painting and Collecting. Some gaming many years ago, would like to get back into it.

Game: 40k, vaguely interested in others.

Army: Marines - Blood Angels - up to around 2500

Army: Orks - Not entirely sure. Probably over 2500 points?

In other words, still not 100% sure many points my armies would be.

Orks are the ones from Black Reach - apparently these are 450 points? New additions: 5 Stormboyz + Boss Zagstruk, Runtherd + 10 Gretchin. Even newer addition is a Trukk.

Marines are the ones from Black Reach, Macragge, Space Marine Battleforce, a Command Squadron and Commander Dante (converted some models to fit my Blood Angels army)

New additions: 1 Drop Pod, 10 Death Company marines, Chief Librarian Mephiston (a.k.a. the Lord of Death), Brother Corbulo (Sanguinary High Priest)

I'm also trying to figure out how my Blood Angels chapter ended up with a Land Raider Terminus. ;)

Amazingly, only 5 models need repairs after being driven halfway down the Eastern side of Australia without adequate protective packaging!

Add to this the fact that I now have a shitload of building to do after getting a Black Reach set and it's minimal hassle :)

Update - Huuge amount of painting to get through, pics soming soon!

Edit: added the following post from page 18 to this post for ease of reference.

After getting a PM asking for tips on how to get started with 40K, I thought I'd share some some general advice for anyone else looking to get started. (*ods please note, this is not posting any content from the PM I received.)

Note: For all the GW site links, select Australia when prompted and the site should redirect you automatically.

What I did was go buy some minis and a starter paint set from my local stockist.

If you haven't chosen an army, either buy yourself a copy of Assault on Black Reach. This gives you dice, range measures, templates, an abridged version of the rulebook and enough Orks and Space Marines to start playing.

If the price is an issue, go halves with a friend (or PM one of the active posters in this thread) and see if they are willing to split it with you.

If you decide on Space Marines, get an Assault on Black Reach Paint Set while you're at it, as this gives you 5 more Space Marines and a basic set of paints to get started with.

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend getting yourself a copy of the latest 40K rulebook, How to Paint Citadel Miniatures and/or How to Paint Space Marines and a copy of the relevant Codex* for the force you have decided on.

If you can find them, Armies of The Imperium and Enemies of The Imperium (AoTI and AoTE) are good programs for building army lists and working out approximate points values. To my knowledge, these haven't been updated since 4th Edition rules at this stage.*

*This may involve some Internet research, remember, Google is your friend!

There are Battleforce box sets available that will give you a decent starter army, including at least one or 2 vehicles (or their equivalent)

Often you'll find that alternate stockists are cheaper than official GW stores, especially if you buy stuff online.

Gaming Dragon (formerly just part of Scrap Dragon, now its own site) is apparently quite good.

I've bought bitz (spare parts) from ApocaBITZnow in the US and would highly recommend them.

Mini-reviews of several places I have purchased stuff from in my travels:

(I will add to this list as I purchase from more places and/or details of each come to mind)

Sydney

Battlecraft Games - Rowe St, Eastwood

Good range but not much specialty stuff.

Gaming tables but often full of kids as it's just opposite Eastwood Primary School.

HobbyCo - Rhodes and Sydney CBD

Limited range but some rarities in their stock sometimes.

No gaming tables.

Games Workshop - Sydney CBD

Huge range and they'll happily order ANYTHING not in stock. You pay the RRP for it though!

Gaming tables. Regular Thursday night social gaming, apparently (never attended, so can't comment on what it's like)

The Tin Soldier - Sydney CBD

Good range last time I checked. Some specialty stuff.

Not sure if there are gaming tables, only shopped there once and didn't ask. I think Hawkeye mentioned regular gaming there?

Canberra

Mind Games - Civic

Pricing is usually better than RRP, they also do second-hand stuff.

Gaming tables.

Melbourne

Mind Games - Melbourne CBD

As per Mind Games Canberra.

No gaming tables afaik.

Perth

Games Workshop

As per GW Sydney.

Fremantle, WA

Games Workshop

As per GW Sydney.

Apparently most of the Australian GW mail orders come out of here (according to the staff member I spoke to)

I'm sure there are others near you - try the Store Locator to find one :)

Edit: Quoted this post in my post on Page 1 for ease of reference.

Edited by TechHeadFred

Player name: NightOwl

Pref game time: depends

Aspects: Painting !

Game: not picky

Posse: Necrons - a very... very small, yet elite force :)

seals only hang around in small groups, don't they ?

I'm loving the Black Reach boxset...so glad they ditched the "terrain" in favour of more models!

I've finished putting together the Marines half of the box and begun painting...that dready's pretty damn cool and the Deffcopters on the Ork side are well cool also (so's the plastic Warboss).

And the Terminators (something I've been missing in my army for too damn long).

Can't wait for the Veteran squads to be released next month...they look bloody special.

Player name: Master_Scythe (Paul)

Pref game time: Whenever

Aspects: Gaming.

Game: Fantasy

Army: Wood Elves - 3000-4000pts

seals only hang around in small groups, don't they ?

Khirareq - Canberra

Weekends, maybe weeknights

Modelling and conversion work, Rule and lore discussion, Collecting

Warhammer 40k - 5th Ed

Tau - 2000+

'nids - about 1000

Orks - about 1000

Necromunda

Orlocks

Spyre hunters

Other

Space Hulk

Gorka Morka

40k 2nd Ed

Does anyone have a copy of Dark Heresy?

Reading through my copy last night and discovered a hole on page 211 - Doesnt affect that page, but it destroys some text on page 212 regarding movement rules

Anyone willing to take a photo of the, I think its charging? rules on page 212? Sorta in the middle of the page there

I don't have it or I'd be happy to.

You might be able to find some help on the official Dark Heresy site - http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dark-heresy

Copied from previous post - Needed it for profile:

Does anyone have a copy of Dark Heresy?

Reading through my copy last night and discovered a hole on page 211 - Doesnt affect that page, but it destroys some text on page 212 regarding movement rules

Anyone willing to take a photo of the, I think its charging? rules on page 212? Sorta in the middle of the page there

Er, actually:

I had ordered this book months and months ago (Seriously - Ordered it when DH first came out but had already run out), and recieved a call about a month back saying it was finally in. I went upstairs a few weeks back buying some WoW cards and remembered my order, and the guy upstairs grabbed a copy off the shelf and said he would sort it out downstiars for me

Just had a phone call from Mind Games, letting me know my order was still sitting there, and asking if I still wanted it - I filled them in on what happened upstairs and they were cool, but while on the phone I thought I would push my luck and explain the hole (I didnt do this earlier because, afaic, I bought it ages ago and thought they wouldnt be able to help/unfair on my behalf to dump *this* issue on them - Plus its a bit of a trip for a "possibility") - Anyways, manager hops on the phone and tells me that if I dont hear back from Fantasy Flight within the next couple of days, too take it in and he will swap it straight over for me, and send my copy back as DOA

Awesome :D Mind Games A++

Er, actually:

I had ordered this book months and months ago (Seriously - Ordered it when DH first came out but had already run out), and recieved a call about a month back saying it was finally in. I went upstairs a few weeks back buying some WoW cards and remembered my order, and the guy upstairs grabbed a copy off the shelf and said he would sort it out downstiars for me

Just had a phone call from Mind Games, letting me know my order was still sitting there, and asking if I still wanted it - I filled them in on what happened upstairs and they were cool, but while on the phone I thought I would push my luck and explain the hole (I didnt do this earlier because, afaic, I bought it ages ago and thought they wouldnt be able to help/unfair on my behalf to dump *this* issue on them - Plus its a bit of a trip for a "possibility") - Anyways, manager hops on the phone and tells me that if I dont hear back from Fantasy Flight within the next couple of days, too take it in and he will swap it straight over for me, and send my copy back as DOA

Awesome :D Mind Games A++

That's pretty freaking awesome!

Mind Games down here seem pretty good so far too, I'm still stoked that I got Black Reach on the Tuesday after it was released for $75...

And this from Fantasy Flight this morning:

"Hello Matt,

It's not being bitchy to try to find out what the book says! Let me

know your full name and mailing address - we have a few books here

that are ever-so-slightly dinged, that I can send out to you. Most

people would not notice the damage, and they certainly don't have

holes through pages...

Thanks for playing,

Customer Service

Fantasy Flight Games"

The damage Im crying about:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/khi...sy/Damage/a.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/khi...sy/Damage/1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/khi...sy/Damage/2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/khi...sy/Damage/3.jpg

If you ask me, the paper was damaged before printing, but I am getting support I did not expect for this :D

Player name: KTS

Pref game time: Weekends

Aspects: Painting and Collecting. Never played but want to

Game: 40k

Army: Space marines - 1500

Army: Necrons - 750-1000

Not sure if this is the place but the last thread was - finally got all my troops assembled, even my 10 Death Company Marines.

Now to finish painting the suckers...

Also, anyone in Melbourne up for a game with a rank novice this weekend, shoot me a PM! :)

What a lovely thread :)

Player name: Hawkeye

Pref game time: Weekends - Can do some weeknights

Aspects: Painting, collecting, gaming and background.

Game: 40k

Army: Tau - 2000 painted

Army: Guard - few hundred painted, aiming for 2000 eventually

Game: Fantasy

Army: Thinking of Dark Elves or High Elves...

Just had a great weekend just past down in Canberra at a little invitational called BagraToddCon. 16 great guys, five awesome games. Now makes six game total of 5th ed, and I really love it. Definitely want to get some more games under my belt.

Not sure if this is the place but the last thread was - finally got all my troops assembled, even my 10 Death Company Marines.

We can embed picture man - Please, I dont know what anyone else thinks, but I want people to start utilising that function here - Show us your work!

I want to finish off those 'nids and two Raveners I have and i will be doing the same

Bwaaa ha ha ha! I had a feeling that was the case.

Having painted a few more bits and pieces, I've looked back at stuff done only a few months ago, and comparatively they look...shithouse.

I'll post the few bits and pieces I'm happy with though...I reckon I'm going to strip and repaint a fair few of my previous efforts (Command Squad, Librarian, Tactical marines x lots) + the ones I've barely done anything to.

Posted Image

Army en masse...no proper points count as yet. Waiting on new SM Codex to hit.

Still wanting a troop carrier, land speeder and an assault squad to round it out.

Still got a stack of painting to go on the bodies I've got though!

We can embed picture man - Please, I dont know what anyone else thinks, but I want people to start utilising that function here - Show us your work!

I want to finish off those 'nids and two Raveners I have and i will be doing the same

Yeah I'll get some decent pics of my assembled Blood Angels chapter up when I have some painting done.

I actually have an army of sorts now - got the latest issue of White Dwarf so I have an extra Terminator and Ork Nob on top of what's in Black Reach, plus some scenarios to try out.

Incidentally, the "Assault on Black Reach" starter paint set comes with 5 more Marines, making it pretty good value if your paint supplies are running low and you want a couple of "spare" troops to practice on...

Nice work there Hector, your painting is looking pretty good these days!