Khirareq

Atomic Games Workshop Crew

An amusing battle report (penned by the winner) on a game of Dystopian Wars at our club last weekend.

------------------------------------------

Holy flying calamari Admiral

This weeks battle report WILL definitely result in some colourful French phrases being posted on the forums. Young people are cautioned against using Google Translator to see exactly what they mean.

In this weeks battle, my EotBS took on Pete's French in an 800 point battle. Pete having spent the week house-bound with the lurgy was looking for something to kill so fielded the massive French Vauban Class HQ Sky Fortress (aka Le Death Star) to put some hurt on the EotBS. In the first two rounds the hurt was definitely was applied to the EotBS. Most of the ships and tiny fliers formed a wedge around the Ika to help protect them while the gunships provided a distraction on the port flank.

Five Frigates, one gunship and 6 tiny fliers were destroyed performing their glorious service to the Empress with two further gunships suffering serious damage. The frigates did manage to put the hurt on Le Death Star, causing a critical hit. The Battleship also managed to land a crit on that behemoth. All the time the Ika were submerged and working their way ever closer.

At the beginning of turn 3 Le Death Star unleashed again further causing damage to gunship and a point of damage on the battleship. Then the Ika struck. Launching themselves out of the water they grabbed the sky fortress in their robotic tentacles and tore its defences to shreds. There was brie and croissants scattered everywhere as the French marines were ripped apart and the sky fortress was made derelict in under a minute. The look on Pete’s face was priceless – he was as shocked as his French Admiral…but more alive.......and with less brie involved.

Some photos of the action are below. Pete was last seen heading home mumbling something about wanting to eat calamari...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Been a while since I've checked in here (let alone the forums themselves).

Getting myself out of Warhammer though. Just decided that I am sick of Games Workshop, the rules, and the cost (which is even worse than it used to be).

So I'm selling off most of my stuff (have a thread in trademart, check it), and am just going to keep some of my favourite models and conversion pieces.

On the flip-side, I have gotten myself into MTG, and I'm really enjoying it. A lot cheaper than Warhammer, and easier to take with me to friends places etc. Got most of the gaming club I go to into it as well which is sick. 8 player games are rad.

I hear ya loud and clear G-relk! The prices GW are charging now have moved beyond idiotic.

You should try your hand at Malifaux. Fantastic steampunk setting, a deck of cards used instead of dice, and only a handful pf minis to carry with you.

This weekend I'm pitting my Ramos crew against my gaming nemesis and his crew of tricksy showgirls. I'll try and get a writeup of the game done and will try and remember to get some photos as well.

I'm looking at getting back into 6th edition.

The new chaos/dark angels box set means a new chaos codex is coming out in the next few months.

Assuming there are legion rules, so chaos isn't a force of "more vanilla than vanilla" marines I'll learn the new rules.

I think they WAY over corrected in the last chaos codex. They removed any rules that supported serious themes, so every chaos army may as well be a min-maxed mash-up of units and gods.

Originally, I was thinking in getting back into WH40K due to the new rules. But seriously, it'll cost me an arm and a leg and perhaps a kidney to actually get what I needed. If that's the case, Pokemon cards are much cheaper and more fun alternative...

You can get the Dark Vengeance box from a local, Canberran outfit called Black Cultist for $140, which is a pretty good saving, and good value for what you're getting, I think. Those minis are beautiful.

As to the Chaos 'dex, all reports are that it will be much more flavoursome. There'll be cultists, for cheap troops, funky mutation tables, and possibly even rules for characters rolling on a table every time they get a kill, with the chance to mutate into a deamon prince on the spot... or devolve into a chaos spawn! I think it's going to be a real winner.

The minis are lovely, but single pose. The rule booklet will save you buying the full book as all game rules are included. The SM minis are branded with DA sigils so they are not easily re-purposed. Given the popularity of the Hell Brute, I expect a separate release for it, perhaps with the new codex. I've seen the box for $132 from The Combat Company.

So, race in now or wait a couple of months and buy only what you want in a more flexible form.

Still yet to play a full game in 6th Ed, just gradually getting through assembling and then painting my various Necrons. Decided on a bone white colour scheme, with a slightly darker shade of white/brown for the parts underneath armour plates. I shall post pictures when I have something finished I think.

Decided on a bone white colour scheme, with a slightly darker shade of white/brown for the parts underneath armour plates.

But they're metalmen, man. 8{O

Actually if I had them I'd be tempted by a reddish brass underlay and bright greenish-gold highlights. (Not a chaos like verdigris)

So I'm interested in playing Warhammer with my friend over something like Skype. We live in different countries. I figured there must be various resources out there by now to help with this, and thought about asking you guys first. I figure we'll need things like drawable maps we can digitally pass back and forth, as we cant use minis; dice; etc. Anyone got any ideas where to look? I could spend hours looking through google searches, but figured you guys might know of such stuff, and be able to help better, hence asking here first.

Cheers

Thanks David. That looks really good, but we're wanting to play the normal one, not 40k. I'll look into it though; maybe it can be modded to use for normal.

Thanks David. That looks really good, but we're wanting to play the normal one, not 40k. I'll look into it though; maybe it can be modded to use for normal.

"Normal"??? You mean Fantasy. Try Warhammer: Mark of Chaos, may be the easiest way to get your international gaming fix with the multiplayer side.

Yes, sorry, I meant Fantasy Battle. I didnt mean to insult you 40k guys :P

I own Mark of Chaos and it is terrible. Truly terrible.

Something a little different. Here are the Malifaux crews owned by one of our club regulars. His painting is fantastic and he paints very quickly knocking over roughly a crew each week (bastard!!!)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by physt

Don't forget mate that you don't need to choose between Warmachine and Hordes as the systems are compatible.

Circle have some great minis Hector. Some of the new stuff from PP across the whole range of WM/H looks amazing. The only disappointment so far for me is the new Colossal model for Cryx. I'm a Cryx player and the new Leviathan looks ghastly imho.

Is that still valid, though? The dates mentioned were around launch...

Assuming you were replying to me - yes, have been in regular contact and he's hoping to further slice prices as his trade improves.

There is a USA trader on ebay with excellent prices for bulk orders - Discount Warhammer 40K

Oh, and Kings Comics sent a wonderful selection of TP graphic novels as a gift to my lovely son, with a card from the staff. Very generous and kind.

Edited by mykl_c

Pleased to share better prices for my plastic-addicted comrades!

Holy snapping-duckshit! $83 for the new CSM codex. I don't want a hardback - they're harder to carry/pack and more easily damaged.

The one-click pack - $333 - did they pick that price because it was easy to type?

That ebay seller has the codex at $54 and the 1 click pack at $220 inc postage. Also the Army Painter Warpaints Mega set for $100.

I know where my cash is going. Still to GW, just not to their stores.