Khirareq

Atomic Games Workshop Crew

Played a 750 (I think) pt battle the other week, Marines on Marines (vanilla, though my mate had one of the new special characters) - extermination (or whatever it's called these days).

Rhino rushed his fortified position (in ruins, unfortunately) with two Tacs. One pretty much wiped itself out on another Tac before defeating it and the accompanying special character (with the help of venerable dreadnaught); the other took on that new special elite squad. Helps to have a Captain with power- and digi-weapons here. Dred took out Thundercannon and Techmarine, getting to rear of fortifications with heavy flamer and assault cannon. By this time the Captain and Sergeant were inside and scaling the building, finally dispatching the last of his men in the last turn whilst the Rhinos did doughnuts.

*sigh* good times. Think I could get back into this. Maybe I should finish painting my d00dz. Might be done by the time the Space Wolves codex comes out ...

Hey, does anyone have a spare set of Land Raider doors?

I picked up what I thought was a complete unassembled Terminus Pattern Land Raider for $40 from Mind Games today.

I asked the guy at the counter if it was OK apart from the missing top half of the box and he assured me it was but I found that the 2 front doors were missing once I got it home.

I could probably get a refund but I'd prefer to keep it now...

Anyway, shoot me a PM if you can help. I know I can probably find the parts online but if anyone is going to Live or lives in Melbourne and wants to help me out, I could probably sling you a few dollars or shout you a few drinks for your trouble...

if your going to use it as a terminus ultra then it wont matter, which i suppose is what the guy at the shop was talking about, that is, its a complete terminus ultra, because the side dorrs arent used on it, so you wont need them.

if your going to use it as a terminus ultra then it wont matter, which i suppose is what the guy at the shop was talking about, that is, its a complete terminus ultra, because the side dorrs arent used on it, so you wont need them.

I mean the front doors, as in the assault doors:

http://www.apocabitznow.com/store/p/2851-L...Front-Door.aspx

http://www.apocabitznow.com/store/p/2841-L...sault-Door.aspx

If I were going to buy replacements I'd be better off buying just the bottom Assault door and a set of these:Posted Image

ah, my bad then. well that sucks. id ask them about it. maybe theyll give you some money toward a new set of doors??

on a side note, those blood angels doors are sechsy. sourcing the bottom half of the front door may be a bit hard tho. the company i get my bits thru dont have any listed on there sight

Thanks to that undead revolutionary Khirareq I think i'll be getting the AT-43 Operation Damocles initiation set when I've got a bit of spare cash to throw at it. I just love the Therian designs

Posted Image

U.N.A. designs are pretty rock solid too

Posted Image

Then you get the Karmans.

Posted Image

The idea of cigar-smoking intelligent gorillas in power armour's just awesome. :P

No it isnt GW but do you see me worrying about that? ;)

Well, if you crack it with trying to find the doors, ill throw you some cash and take the model of your hands ;) Ill pay whatever you paid + postage - Need scrap for my Orks :P

Failing that, if you can get me some dimensions, I may be able to whip something up - Or find some old CD cases and have a crack at it

FAZZ: Still thinking some Karmans done up for either my Orks or Tau (Wouldnt be hard to make those gorillas look like orks) - How come you didnt link that big bitch? :P

Well, if you crack it with trying to find the doors, ill throw you some cash and take the model of your hands ;) Ill pay whatever you paid + postage - Need scrap for my Orks :P

Failing that, if you can get me some dimensions, I may be able to whip something up - Or find some old CD cases and have a crack at it

FAZZ: Still thinking some Karmans done up for either my Orks or Tau (Wouldnt be hard to make those gorillas look like orks) - How come you didnt link that big bitch? :P

Oh alright :P

Posted Image

A Baal Golgoth relative to a Wraith

and the bitch Khir is talking about:

Posted ImageNina Zero

Posted ImageBabylon Zero

The infantry units are all 28mm scale like 40k

ah, my bad then. well that sucks. id ask them about it. maybe theyll give you some money toward a new set of doors??

on a side note, those blood angels doors are sechsy. sourcing the bottom half of the front door may be a bit hard tho. the company i get my bits thru dont have any listed on there sight

I mentioned it to (I assume) the manager (the guy who's almost always there) and he apologised for the guy who sold it to me not being explicit about it being second-hand and an "as-is" purchase. He did look over the parts himself when it was bought but they don't check every sprue for completeness. I can't really complain as I got a $95-odd model for $40 and as he pointed out is worth at least $40 as "bitz" after all...

Hmmm, I was thinking I could always make some doors myself if I can't find them locally or with reasonable shipping.

I know there's at least one place that has the lower assault doors for sale online, maybe I need a shopping list of other bitz to make an order worthwhile...

The Blood Angels doors above are from Forge World so £10 a set but incredibly schweet!

@ FAZZ: Those are pretty damn cool even if they're not 40K!

Edit: on another note, I got Brother Corbulo today and if anyone is looking for updated (i.e; v5) codices for non-codex chapters, they can be found on the Canadian GW site's Shrine of Knowledge section

today, i picked up a sisters of battle seraphim squad and celestine.

yeah, women in battle. this is turning into my sort of game. resistance is futile :)

melbourne peeps; is anyone going to melbourne central games workshop on saturday? apparently, there's a painting demo by golden demon winners and a questions/tips session afterwards.

today, i picked up a sisters of battle seraphim squad and celestine.

yeah, women in battle. this is turning into my sort of game. resistance is futile :)

melbourne peeps; is anyone going to melbourne central games workshop on saturday? apparently, there's a painting demo by golden demon winners and a questions/tips session afterwards.

Ooh, what time? I might be able to make it...

Bought some Derivan mini paints over the weekend as the craft store had them 50% off - I will say, their black is black, unlike the weak arse GW black Ive been fighting with. Went back and bought a heap and dont mind them. Easier to put onto my mixing plate, plus 3 times as much paint and cheaper than citadel ones - See how they go

Kinda stuck with my tanks though and not sure which direction to take it:

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

Did toy around with the idea of having both and being able to swap over, but too much work for play models and getting the thing sturdy. I also have a hammerhead im looting as well, intended for a boomgun - Thinking the howdah just so I can have a heap of Boyz hanging off of it - Not sure - Advice? :P

And still having issues with my painting looking grainy - Lucky Im doing Orks I guess, but any tips for yellow?

Posted Image

That pipe running along his side did have ridges in it - After 7 coats of thin yellow (To actually get it yellow) all the details filled in. Not sure how to tackle it - Before putting the yellow on I undercoated the pipe greay and had a uniform base coat for it, plus had the yellow watered down as I usually do with other paints - Still "chalked" up on me though (Find it chalks more when I dont thin it) :(

(And havent started on the jaw piece yet - Thats why its just red atm)

the trick with those pipes is not to do more than a coat or 2 on them. your prolem is that you A) want it yellow, a big enough problem in itself, and B) are doin way too many coats of paint. the trick with painting lighter colours is to do a lot of very thin layers combined with an ink wash to give shading, or outer edge highlights to give some kind of deoth.

for me i mainly do darker colours because they are easier to paint. if i do light colours then i try to make them as dark as possible, but with extreme highlighting using a very bright colour. ie scab red highlighted with 50/50 blood red and blazing orange.

to fix your cables, try and strip it down, reboat it with white, then give it a few washes of yellow ink, which is the best way of painting yellow apparently (according to my friend who plays imperial fists)

EDIT: i prefer the look of the second tank, the one with the howdah thing on top looks wierd imo

Yeah - I want some lighter colors to break up how dark the damn thing is starting to look - Once I get the base colors working Ill put the arms on and do the camo bits will help break it up (The darkness) a touch and bring the model to a uniform paint style

"B) are doin way too many coats of paint. the trick with painting lighter colours is to do a lot of very thin layers"

This bit - How many coats would you recommend for yellow? I mention I do 7, and you mention thats too many, then say I need to do a lot of very thin layers - My yellow gets watered down to nearly a wash.

Go a dark yellow, wash it, then highlight with bad moon yellow - Ill try that. May do this for that one - Just put a wash over it and just add yellow lines for highlighting the ridges, and work out how to do yellow right later - Contemplating grabbing a spare model and just painting it yellow to work it out for next time though - I got a heap of black/yellow banding I need to do

The howdah would be tricked out a bit more - Pintel mounted guns, wrecking balls and boarding ramps and so on (Plus big straps to tie it down onto the tank - Think an elephant howdah) - The gun one would be too though, as I need to smooth out the Tau tech and make it look like the gun is intergrated into the tank capola more

Yeah - I want some lighter colors to break up how dark the damn thing is starting to look - Once I get the base colors working Ill put the arms on and do the camo bits will help break it up (The darkness) a touch and bring the model to a uniform paint style

"B) are doin way too many coats of paint. the trick with painting lighter colours is to do a lot of very thin layers"

This bit - How many coats would you recommend for yellow? I mention I do 7, and you mention thats too many, then say I need to do a lot of very thin layers - My yellow gets watered down to nearly a wash.

Go a dark yellow, wash it, then highlight with bad moon yellow - Ill try that. May do this for that one - Just put a wash over it and just add yellow lines for highlighting the ridges, and work out how to do yellow right later - Contemplating grabbing a spare model and just painting it yellow to work it out for next time though - I got a heap of black/yellow banding I need to do

The howdah would be tricked out a bit more - Pintel mounted guns, wrecking balls and boarding ramps and so on (Plus big straps to tie it down onto the tank - Think an elephant howdah) - The gun one would be too though, as I need to smooth out the Tau tech and make it look like the gun is intergrated into the tank capola more

ah, in the case of the yellow cables, i didnt realise that you were watering it down THAT much. in that case i dont know why its still clogging up. i paint mine metal, and most of the time a fairly decent layer of boltgun metal wont obscure the detail. if you want to practice cables then get some old guitar strings, spray undercoat them, and go nuts. keep in mind tho that they usually take a bit more paint than the molded on cables due to being hollow, and having deeper ridges. as stated earlier tho, the best way to paint lighter colours on an area with a lot of fine detail is with inks/washes. your best bet would be a white undercoat, a couple of yelloww (ink) washes, then a highlight with a bright yellow colur.

regards the howdah: yeah, in that case thats prolly the way to go. my main issue with it was that it looked a bit barren just sort of stuck on there. with the straps and everything else you are going to do with it then i think youll eliminate (sp?) that problem.

Washes - Ill pick some up today and have a shot - Gotta run over and buy another kit from somewhere for more scrap anyways - Cheers dude

Yeah, that Pred is going to be quite a bit of work - Planning on having a mast running up from the middle of it with a crows nest on top, and cut out the bottom so I can get a driver in behind the vision slot on the front - Want to make it look like the howdah has been ripped off something else and just strapped on

Sorta aiming to have the Pred as a looted transport, then a looted Hammerhead and Vindicator for looted tanks with boomguns - Could of very easily swapped the Hammerhead for the Pred though, hence me looking for a nudge in which direction to take it (God, now Im thinking a trailer for it too.... >.< )

This is the other bugger I am working on:

Posted Image

(Platform on the tanks left is going to have an Ork sitting down manning a gun - The other side runners are going to get a handrail and a boarding plank - Thinking the Ork Commando Nob trimmed a bit to stand inside the open hatch with one foot out on top of the tank)

Got on a roll then ran out of bits and pieces >.< Need to find an engine block before I start on the HamHead though - Putting it up on wheels with tank tracks on the front for steering, grots in place where the drones were, and the engine block in the rear compartment with the side and rear doors ripped off

Was going to do a looted Carnifex with a Mekboy and Painboy in the cockpit fighting over the controls, but noticed something similar has already been done - Leave this project for a bit

the looted vindiator looks sweet. i spose thats the awesome thing about orks, anything goes as long as it looks bodgey.

cant wait to see them finished

Nice conversions there Khirareq

I'm gonna have get those doors sorted and build my Terminus Land Raider and/or get painting soon...

Hey guys, I know I havent posted here for a bit but I wanted your opinion on something, I wanted to read one of the books but I dont know which one or where to get them, do you have some recommendations? I would like to read about the Tyranids or failing that, the Necrons.

I havent read many of the books as they seem to be mostly centered around the space marines, but I have been told they are worthwhile. I can tell you the Shira Calpurnia trilogy is awesome (Crossfire, Legacy, and Blind) Shes an Arbite so its investigation style writing with a lot of brutal combat and swift, no-fucking-around justice. Blind itself would have to be one of the best books Ive ever read

Also the Necromunda series is pretty good for 40k style writing - Fleshworks is one which sticks out there

Khir: Iyanden Darksun foundation, then Golden or Sunburst yellow

That sounds a bit cleaner - Ill give it a shot