Sign in to follow this  
jediknightbob

Rivatune for nVidia cards

Ok, first off, I don't know a whole bunch about OCing and cooling. If something overheats I'll install another fan, or point my pedstal fan at the case. Yeah, I know.

Anyway, my last card (Asus 7900GTX) cooked itself inside my Antec P180. I found a program called Rivatune, which seems to change the built-in settings for the card, and upped the fan speed from factory-spec (somewhere around 40%) up to 100%. Yeah, it was noisy, but my speakers are way noisier, so... meh. It helped a bit, but the card was already pooched, so I've replaced it with an XFX GTX260. We're just heading into this cards first summer now, so I'm wondering if I should do the same thing to this one. Or will that kill the bearings before their time? I assume there's a reason nVidia don't run their fans at maximum speed, but I'm thinking that might just be a noise-management deal, which as mentioned, IDC about.

Thanks to you, Atomixperts!

100% usage should be fine, as long as the noise doesnt annoy you.

The cards are supposed to up their fan speed as it gets hotter, I'd leave it and just regularly check temps on it (google GPU-Z for an easy to use program for monitoring the card)

If/When it starts getting too hot and isn't upping its fan speed, then feel free to do it manually. 60-70% should probably be enough though.

tbh i've tried my own settings against auto settings, which i thought were pretty agressive, but auto is pretty agressive and not far behind what i had, which was basically once gpu goes over 80c have fan at 100%, 70c/90%, 60c/80% etc.

Can i suggest you use MSI Afterburner instead of Rivatuner? the guy who made Rivatuner was hired by MSI to develop afterburner, and since then, Riva no longer gets updated (as far as i know). I miss riva cause it also monitored my cpu speed in real time (i worry intel speedstep stops cpu from running at max speed in games :)), but afterburner is very user friendly and keeps up with latest driver releases to avoid any compatability issues. and yeh i just use "cpu temp" now for cpu monitoring.

as for sound, yeh i just wear headphones :)