Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kablez

So I'm probably bi-polar...

Having being diagnosed as Manic Depressive there are three things that help me, and many other people I am in contact with...

No Drugs

Eat Healthy - lots of fruit, water and correct portions etc

Exercise.

All of which will release endorphins and allow you to have a healthy body, which will help you have a healthy mind. Also, trust the doctor, if you don't feel that a particular medication is working for you speak up - medicine has come a long way in this field since your dad started being treated 20 years ago so talk it over with your Doc, I also recommend speaking to some sort of therapist.

Don't use it as a crutch, lay off the drugs, eat healthy.

You are in control not your condition.

::EDIT::

Also, I became dependant on the medications I was taking for sleep, so watch out for that, you want healthy sleep, not just sleep.

Edited by matteh

It actually sounds like..

1: You don't really trust your present medical advisor/s.

2: You're being particularly defeatist, because of your dad and Grand dad. Understandable, but ...

Do some up to date research (if you haven't already ).

See about finding someone you can relate these thoughts you have, to.

I don't know that doing anything - without an objective party to talk things through with - is a great idea for the long term.

Am not sure that using an Atomican as an " objective party " is the right thing either :)

Secondly I really hope by doctor your mean psychiatrist or at least please tell me that you have had a second opinion from a psychologist. (I don't trust medical gp's making psychological diagnoses)

At least that way you have judgement based on people who know the conditions rather than someone playing match the disease with a diagnostic manual.

Umm, isn't that what psychiatrists do anyway?

Pretty sure I saw a doco on the whole process..might have been by the scientologists so who knows? But yeah psychologists are usually better and getting to the real issues.

Wow, cheers for that reply :) I was hoping someone would actually share their story.

You're right, the name and my, self imposed, identity crisis aren't important... I just need to work out what works and what doesn't.

I'm taking a break from pot (and all fun drugs) at the moment... especially as I'm still settling into the seroquel.

And yep, I know not to mess with the dosages of the prescription drugs. The seroquel I'm being given initially is small though... it's mainly to observe any adverse reactions for a few weeks. If the drowsiness persists I might go back and ask for options though... I was hoping to hear from someone else that takes it though, to see if it's more than just drowsiness... I actually feel stoned without the euphoria... kinda like being sleepy except all the lights are on upstairs.

Yeah, the 'stoned' affect sounds about right...pity about the lack of 'buzz' or enjoyment that comes with it, though, hey :(

But it should certainly decrease quickly- how long have you been on it? Again, the doctor is the person to talk to if you need advice in that regard.

Someone else asked- do you have a psychiatrist (or at least psychologist)? That other side of therapy- the non medication side- is crucial, too

@drago13666

I know myself well enough not to go without drugs. I'm not excusing my 'behaviour', I'm explaining why I do it.

And the GP is the second opinion :) The first opinion was actually 'major depression' by a psychologist. I was given zoloft which made me violent and unpredictable (I ran away from home a lot during that period). At the moment... I'm looking to line up a psychologist for long term - just 1 contact I can have that I trust to talk to and help me manage my moods.

"If I stop medicating outright I could become suicidal and/or uncontrollably aggressive" - that's my talking from experience. Until I was told and explained what "bi polar disorder" actually is, I've always just thought I was depressed because I often have feelings of sadness and depression, often when there was no reason to be sad.

I've had times where I've said awful things and destroyed objects/relationships/jobs to get attention and then wondered why I was so out of control... which is what it all comes down to for me. I don't mind having to deal with myself (we all have to at some point) but I refuse to risk any harm to people around me... and when I'm not on drugs I can't control myself... maybe after a bit of coaching and self-learning I could wean myself towards only needing it prior to an episode... but who knows how long that will take, I'm keeping an open mind :)

@matteh

Cheers :) Yeah, I'm working on the healthy thing at the moment as well. What sleep medications? At this rate I'm going to need narcoleptic medication lol.

@eveln

I don't really trust anyone to be honest... especially not myself. But yes, I'm going to sort out a proper psychologist I can talk to. "Defeatist" is probably the wrong word... exhausted? I'm not giving up, I'm just over it :P

@Director

Maybe it's an American thing? I think psychologists/psychiatrists here don't have the cash motivation?

I'm looking to line up a psychologist for long term - just 1 contact I can have that I trust to talk to and help me manage my moods.

This is good, what I had in mind.

Keep an open mind, and a healthy body....

I am a manic depressive.

I am suicidal 24 hours a day 7 days a week, Have been for the past 2 months... It was easier before hand.

I plan on fighting it.

The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem :)

Good luck with it dude.

Edited by daft_punk

@matteh

Cheers :) Yeah, I'm working on the healthy thing at the moment as well. What sleep medications? At this rate I'm going to need narcoleptic medication lol.

Sorry I Should clarify, my anti-depressants helped with sleep that I usually didn't get due to anxiety. I became dependant on the medication instead of getting over the anxiety.

2 years on an I don't suffer anxiety as much [everyone does a little I think...?] but I do have episodes of depression still but I'm improving thanks to a psych and a good support network.

Edited by matteh

good to know you have done your research, I studied psyc and i know that there are alot of misdiagnoses out there.

Alot of doctors lean towards diagnoses that there are drug they can prescibe for it. Other things like personality disorders and rarer conditions don't get identified readily

Doesn't surprise me that anti-depressants had that effect on you, alot of antidepressants don't play nice with people with bi-polar and alot of people with bi-polar get mis-diagnosed first as having depression as it can be very hard to identify manic epiisodes.

I am a manic depressive.

I am suicidal 24 hours a day 7 days a week, Have been for the past 2 months... It was easier before hand.

I plan on fighting it.

The first step to getting better is admitting you have a problem :)

Good luck with it dude.

Damn, sorry to hear mate :( Send me a PM if you ever wanna chat, doesn't have to be about anything

Sorry I Should clarify, my anti-depressants helped with sleep that I usually didn't get due to anxiety. I became dependant on the medication instead of getting over the anxiety.

Ahh, I'm the opposite right now - but normally I do have problems getting to sleep... this particular drug seems to just kick me on my arse! :P

good to know you have done your research, I studied psyc and i know that there are alot of misdiagnoses out there.

Alot of doctors lean towards diagnoses that there are drug they can prescibe for it. Other things like personality disorders and rarer conditions don't get identified readily

Doesn't surprise me that anti-depressants had that effect on you, alot of antidepressants don't play nice with people with bi-polar and alot of people with bi-polar get mis-diagnosed first as having depression as it can be very hard to identify manic epiisodes.

Heehee, yep. I'm still not convinced I am definitely "bi-polar"... but, it fits with what I've read and what I know about myself - especially more so than stuff about major depression and ADD/ADHD folks... especially when it comes to some of my erratic and cyclical behaviours... very freaky.

I've started watching this awesome documentary by Stephen Fry called The Secret Life of a Manic Depressive, which has been pretty insightful!

Edited by kablez

Cheers :) I've had a lot of times where I've looked at myself and gone "WTF was I thinking?" for things that seemed completely rational to do... it's led to some good decisions and well played risks, but also a lot of missed opportunities and burned bridges. I guess I'm at that stage where I want to try to gain some more control... The hardest part now is recognizing when I'm experiencing something at all or just going through something 'naturally'... I have an old diary that I sometimes read when I'm really depressed and that has actually been really helpful at waking me up from some of my darker depressive states, so I'm probably going to start a whole new one that I'll update every now and then for myself.

And yeah, I think being mis-diagnosed is one of the reasons that made me find out so late (considering I'm generally well read up on mental health cause of my dad). I always assumed I was just depressed and never looked at the rest of my behavior for a larger problem.

I think most people I know are bipolar to some degree.

Or maybe you should stop hanging out with women...

On a more serious note, I strongly recommend against taking the self medication approach.

While I'm generally for the decriminalisation of pot, there have been links between self medication of it for brain chemistry related issues and going fucking mental. Those links are tenuous, sure. But is it really worth the risk? Going further toward the dark side versus feeling slightly better because you think pyschiatrists are full of shit...

Better off going full sober, if you don't trust The Man.

I think most people I know are bipolar to some degree.

Or maybe you should stop hanging out with women...

I said bipolar......................not psycho!

On a more serious note, I strongly recommend against taking the self medication approach.

While I'm generally for the decriminalisation of pot, there have been links between self medication of it for brain chemistry related issues and going fucking mental. Those links are tenuous, sure. But is it really worth the risk? Going further toward the dark side versus feeling slightly better because you think pyschiatrists are full of shit...

Better off going full sober, if you don't trust The Man.

Yeah, definitely. I have been very open about it to the doctor and I am going to basically say "Tell me why pumping me full of drugs and systematically fucking up my kidneys and liver is better than smoking pot?"

It's quite insane, I've been reading up a bit more and the "dark side" is actually a lot worse than I first thought... When I first mentioned I had a problem, I was hoping for to be told about something I can take or something I can do for times when I think I'm not well... but this is a complete lifestyle change and a whole new world of problems...

I got a second opinion today from another GP who agreed with bipolar, but wants me off the drugs hehe. He also lined me up for a psych appointment later in the week and gave me a lot of insight into the treatment, his own role in my care... it was actually quite scary having a doctor humanize himself, show an interest and take initiative... I must've stepped into a quantum mirror or somethin :)

or stand up and take responsibility for yourself. all i'm hearing is oh no i've got this and that and it's because of this or that wah wah wah.

you do realize that whatever "condition" you may or may not have will become greatly influenced by your approach to it. your jsut running away from having to deal with something the hard way using doctors drugs and blaming things that are supposedly out of your control. if you want to you can control it and the first major, huge, biggest step is eating correctly as has already been mentioned. get good nutrition and you will feel an improvement, tell yourself that your going to be strong and energetic and then do things instead of just wollowing about. take affirmative personal action and be responsible for yourself instead of shifting the blam to other things.

i dont' mean to be negative or bad, think of it more as hard constructive criticism, afterall it's not like you have to listen to me anyway.

Weed is a sometimes drug.

Having it all the time will fuck your mind up, then your cock and eventually your reproductive system.

or stand up and take responsibility for yourself. all i'm hearing is oh no i've got this and that and it's because of this or that wah wah wah.

you do realize that whatever "condition" you may or may not have will become greatly influenced by your approach to it. your jsut running away from having to deal with something the hard way using doctors drugs and blaming things that are supposedly out of your control. if you want to you can control it and the first major, huge, biggest step is eating correctly as has already been mentioned. get good nutrition and you will feel an improvement, tell yourself that your going to be strong and energetic and then do things instead of just wollowing about. take affirmative personal action and be responsible for yourself instead of shifting the blam to other things.

i dont' mean to be negative or bad, think of it more as hard constructive criticism, afterall it's not like you have to listen to me anyway.

Do you tell depressed people to man up too? It's a medical condition, one you obviously don't understand.

You know this is probably a thread you should not have posted in. That is the stupidest response I have ever read on atomic :S