Sign in to follow this  
Frizzl

PAL NES Region Locked Controllers

Hey guys, wanting to post this up here, as I don't currently have a web site or anything, but hopefully someone googling for this solution can find this in the future (I was unable to find anything on it). Basically I found that my US controller doesn't work on a PAL NES. For whatever reason Nintendo decided to region lock the PAL controllers and system (whereas the controllers will work on any other region).

The modification is simply, once you've removed your controller ports from the system, you'll see on each PCB there are 6 diodes in line with the wiring. All that is required is that each diode is replaced with a wire (I used some cut up sections of resistor legs as they're small enough to fit the job).

Shown here is the unmodified controller port. All up there are (6 wires in total) 6 diodes. One diode is behind the assembly.

Posted Image

And, this is the modified port. Once done you can use any controller you'd like.

Posted Image

Anyhow, I doubt this will help anyone directly on atomic, but might interest someone, and like I said, I couldn't find it elsewhere on the web, so hopefully it helps someone :)

Sounds a bit strange to me.

You sure it prevents interchanging of controllers?

Some US market older computers/consoles are slightly different in that regard because of FCC Regs... Atari fucked over their users by putting resistors and caps on the serial port of some NTSC machines... made them unreliable when doing I/O in turbo mode.

That said... I don't think diodes would help with emissions anyway. Likely they're just used to prevent current incoming on lines that are dedicated to output.

Edited by Rybags