WORKLOG QUICK LINKS:
Oct 17 2010: Stop Motion Motherboard/CPU/heatsink assembly
Oct 17 2010: MDPC Sleeve arrives
Oct 19 2010: PSU sleeving length calculations
Oct 28 2010: Corsair Dominator Airflow 2 GTL dampening mod
Nov 2 2010: System lives for the first time(!) on air
Nov 3 2010: Stop Motion #2 Final build process
Nov 7 2010: First overclocking on air, blu-ray, waterblock arrive
Nov 21 2010: Blu-Ray Optical Disc Drive, Internal LED Lighting, and Stealthing mod
Nov 27 2010: Fan vinyl dye colour-changing painting modding guide
Dec 12 2010: HDD cage pump planning, case feet arrive.
July 3 2012: Cable Routing Holes, Reservoir mounting brackets.
July 5 2012: Radiator Mounted
July 6 2012: Custom XSPC Front Panel LCD Temp Monitoring tutorial
July 8 2012: Timewarp update (Radiator grille mounting/cutting and mobo paste change)
July 15 2012: Extending and Sleeving the ATX EPS 8-pin 12V Cable
July 16 2012: MSI Lighting 7970 Got!
July 21 2012: Front Panel Power and Lighting Buttons Tutorial
July 23 2012: CPU Waterblock LED Fitting
July 26 2012: Individually Sleeving the Seasonic 24-pin ATX Power Connector Cable
July 27 2012: Fan Extension Cables and Res LED Lighting
July 30 2012: Mounting a HDD Cage at the Bottom of the Case
August 05 2012: Custom SATA Power Y Cable
August 07 2012: SSD Mounting and Cable Baffles & LED Rope PCB Mount
August 10 2012: Finishing the Pump Mounting HDD Cage
August 13 2012: Frankenstein's Monster (SATA Power Cable)
August 13 2012: GPU Power Cable Sleeving & Custom Molex power cable for Lighting Circuit
August 16 2012: My big mistake...
August 21 2012: Soundcard Power! & Silver Antimicrobial Reservoir Treatment
August 23 2012: Cutting and Fitting the Tubing
September 06 2012: LED Rope Setup & Yet another WD Velociraptor breakage
September 21 2012: Attempting to solder a SATA data cable to the dead HDD & Graphics card unstable OMG WTF
July 13 2015: Back in Green

July 14 2015: Mini-Update: EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0+ SSC Memory Cooling

July 18 2015: Mounting the Swiftech MCW80 Universal GPU block on a GTX970

July 20 2015: Final cooling tweaks and stats

ORIGINAL OP:
I've had my current desktop rig for about 20 months now. It's been upgraded and upgraded, but there's still something lacking about it - it just doesn't feel 'mine' enough. Though it's not really a slouch in performance (lapped i7 920, 5870+5850 CF) I'm quite bored with it. I decided to do something about that.

Rather than wait for Sandy Bridge, which won't really be much of an enthusiast platform anyway, I decided to spend a little and grab the Gulftown. I benched it a while ago and fell in love, and I've saved up enough to grab it and a few other choice pickings. Take a look at my new-build list:

Intel Core i7 980X
ASUS Rampage III Extreme
Corsair Dominator GT 6GB 2250MHz
2x 5870 Crossfire (using old card)
Seasonic X-750
Corsair 120GB SSD
ASUS Xonar D2X (from current system)
WD Velociraptor 300GB (from current system)
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB (from current system)
Some DVD Drive (does it really matter? XD)
Lian Li PC-A77F

th_ProjectRED_1-Tech.jpg th_ProjectRED_2-tech.jpg

Shiny shiny tech. But I'm not planning on just running it stock (though I will wind up assembling it that way temporarily); watercooling was an itch that I just couldn't wait to scratch (I blame Dasa and nukejockey's excellent watercooling guide in KitLog #3 :P), and what better time to get into it - summer's rolling around soon! Watercooling parts are:

EK Supreme HF Nickel (it's got a plexi cover to see inside :D)
Laing D5 Vario pump (I wanted the flexibility to decide what speed the water goes at)
EK-Multioption X2 Res 250 ('cos it's huge and awesome)
Tygon tube
XPSC RX480 rad (got some interesting plans in mind for this ;D)
2x Swiftech MCW80 (waiting on these to turn up, apparently there's a shortage in Aus...)
4x Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm (for the rad, they've got nice pressure and should be quiet...ish)
3x Scythe Slipstream 1200rpm (case intake replacements)
EK compression fittings (for the res, rad, cpu)
Worm drive clamps (for the pump and MCW80's)

Oh, and a big thank-you to Greig at GamMods - I'd picked the wrong clamps when ordering and he called to correct it. Definitely appreciated! :)

th_ProjectRED_3-WC_gear.jpg

I'm basically planning on watercooling everything bar the hdds (which I think is silly) and the chipset (which I'd like to, but chipset waterblocks are mega expensive!). The rough plan at this stage is to cut a 480mm mount for the rad at the top of the case, and a custom sidepanel window to show it all off. Still wondering what design to cut into the panel; but I've got a little time to think about it - left the dremel at work anyway >.<

One last thing, for those who might know what it is...any guesses? ;)

th_ProjectRED_4-packagefront.jpg th_ProjectRED_5-package.jpg

Stay tuned for updates, and definitely leave comments/suggestions to improve!

Edited by TheFrunj

It's gonna look sexy Justin! You should change the fans on the case to red ones rather. :P

Edited by raradawg

hmm more build logs seem to be comming up on atomic lately.. FUCKING AWESOME! xD cant wait to see this done! go frunj!

edit: red tubing with some white cathodes would have looked very nice!

Edited by tunksy

I think it just jizzed in my pants, THAT BUILD IS FUCKING AMAZING :)

Edited by unr3strict3d

box looks about the size of a gpu and from germany im guessing a 6### review sample

edit oh nils is on the packet guess we have to wait and see whats been done

Edited by Dasa

Friday hmm my mdcp package was meant to be delivered on friday but it never showed up, so that's where the hell my mdpc-x delivery got to, it got dilvered to the frunj, out of interest how long did your pack take to arrive? My guess is a nice red and black cable scheme to go with the RIIIF and dominators, i'm also guessing there's a depinning tool and crimper, with an assortment of crimps to round it all off. Well i'm looking forward to seeing how you go with the sleeving, I hope you picked up plenty to practice with too. Nice pick on the psu for the mod Frunj, modding 100% modular psu's is a royal shit load easier than a partial or god help you a fully cabled psu. So are you planning on building the cables from scratch or are you simply going to re-sleeve the stock ones?

I notice on your list of water cooling parts you haven't got a mod top for the D5, you planning on getting one to keep all your fittings uniform through out the build? Well i'll be watching this build Frunj, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Oh and if you need anything CAD'ed up to get some custom laser cutting etc done let me know and i'll be happy to help.

Edited by m0zes

Friday hmm my mdcp package was meant to be delivered on friday but it never showed up, so that's where the hell my mdpc-x delivery got to, it got dilvered to the frunj, out of interest how long did your pack take to arrive? My guess is a nice red and black cable scheme to go with the RIIIF and dominators, i'm also guessing there's a depinning tool and crimper, with an assortment of crimps to round it all off. Well i'm looking forward to seeing how you go with the sleeving, I hope you picked up plenty to practice with too. Nice pick on the psu for the mod Frunj, modding 100% modular psu's is a royal shit load easier than a partial or god help you a fully cabled psu. So are you planning on building the cables from scratch or are you simply going to re-sleeve the stock ones?

I notice on your list of water cooling parts you haven't got a mod top for the D5, you planning on getting one to keep all your fittings uniform through out the build? Well i'll be watching this build Frunj, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Oh and if you need anything CAD'ed up to get some custom laser cutting etc done let me know and i'll be happy to help.

It took eight days from the confirmation to it showing up, pretty quick. I'm going red, black and white (pics to come later today) because I felt the two-tone thing was a little plain :) And yeah, that's why I picked that PSU - I've sleeved one or two captive ones before and it's a nightmare I'd rather avoid! Nah, just gonna resleeve the stock ones for simplicity's sake.

I was going to get one, but I ran out of money :P Maybe I'll grab one at a later stage when it's all assembled, but I didn't see enough value in it. I'm already gonna have a huge flowrate in the loop, I think. And thanks for the CAD offer; again laser-cutting perspex and whatnot is pricy, but I'll give it some thought :)

very nice build you got there mate,

looking forward to seeing it when its done.

can i have your old one (lol)?......

Alright, I had planned on getting some shots of the sleeving...but I got seriously distracted. It's ok though - the distraction was an awesome (time-consuming) idea:

Aww yeah. See it in 1080P, too! :D

ha! nice video!

but how did you get them walk? are you majic or something?...

Nothing better then moving a mother board around on the carpet.

Mmm, static *drools*

but how did you get them walk? are you majic or something?...

Yeah, totes :)

also, MDPC SLEEVE!

Posted Image

Bigger res (1980x1320)

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I didn't even draw on that Molex tool - Nils did it for me! Took my username from the account I created and wrote it on there. Didn't actually progress very far today, but I got some cool stuff out of it.

Love the video Frunj, next time add some lego men into it doing the work for the win!

Signing the old molex tool is one of the nice touches that Nils does to his packages, the sleeving looks excellent how much did you buy to do over the 750 watter? By the way are you a saints supporter, bloody well hope so.

Yeah how much was it to get? I was looking to re sleave my Enermax 1050 watt for my g5 ATX mod.