I've got lots of photos to sort through and other stuff to work out before I keep going, but another thing I tried to sort out the heat problem was to grab a piece of plastic from a comb binding A4 holder, which was almost exactly the right width for the desk.

qzt6qcil.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

This is what the A4 binder plate looks like in the desk, in the vertical position. I also tried it horizontally.

xVoevuRl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

Matches the case, totally appropriate. Not really classy but took only a few minutes to hack together with scissors.

JNBwOFjl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

It's affixed with the screws that hold the top panel to the case. It also didn't improve temperatures at all in fact it made loop temps worse by almost two degrees, I wound up removing both the things pictured here.

HbM0r19l.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I also decided to isolate the PSU, as I had noticed that the PSU filter NEVER had dust on it, suggesting the PSU was never intaking any air through it. So rather than lose case pressure through it, I plugged it up with some acoustic foam and silicone pot holder.

mzUJ5MSl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

The PSU sits down on the pot holder and separates it pretty decently from the inside of the case. Now I won't lose any air through the PSU vent.

IyQ8BUul.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I've never really been happy with the front mesh filters in this case, so I grabbed some metal flyscreen mesh from Bunnings (very, very cheap) and cut it to size. The bottom six filters were layered metal flyscreen, original plastic mesh, flyscreen. The top filters were only one layer of each as they don't get as dusty.

QPhGUxXl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

Top is the new double flyscreen mesh, the bottom is the old plastic mesh. I measured temps before and after this change, there wasn't anything meaningful and still a decent intake - hopefully with less maintenance, just a quick vacuum whenever I do the room's carpet.

Haha! You are brave cable tying your watercooling block to your new gpu! Interesting read.

MOAR CABLE TIES!!!

Thanks, the hardest part is coming up with new things to try :) There's more cable ties coming, but first some dremeling :D

Secondary Bottom Fan Intake

Finally another post hooray, almost two weeks later because reasons.

K80cUTGl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I wanted to increase the positive air pressure in the case (in the desk) without turning the rear fan around as an exhaust, and had run out of fan mounts. So I made a new one!
I tried using the MNPCtech Radiator Stencil but even with no scaling the printer would shrink it. I made do.

OJPpxOnl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I first duct taped the base, used two fans side by side to get distances correct (roughly 15mm spacing), then lined it up. I drew the square frame, then traced around a fan grille, and joined where they touched to create an octagon to make it easier to dremel out - thick aluminium doesn't lend itself to easy circles.

zprNylJl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

Because I'm totally responsible and not at all lazy, I put a layer of duct tape on the inside of the case, a layer of paper (one of the rad stencils that didn't scale right), then the rest of that A4 folder and rear baffle, in an attempt to keep the metal dust from flying all over the motherboard and other components.
Totally not a good idea but I wanted to use the PC later that day so pulling it all apart wasn't an option I was going to take.
Holes drilled, needed some widening as I wasn't perfectly aligned the first time. These will be mounted with some 50mm M4 bolts and nuts that I had from another project. Could get away with 30mm but didn't have that size.
The fans will ultimately be inside the case as there's no room under it for them, this is just a lot easier than test fitting inside.
Dremel time! Even though I'm lazy about electronic safety I am pretty good with human safety: Class 5 116dB ProChoice Python Earmuffs, some silicon canalphones under that, and safety glasses. Probably should have got a mask too but didn't have any on hand.
I cut the octagon, and used the sanding attachment of the Dremel 3000 to smooth the edges. After that I vacuumed all the metal dust with a thin nozzle kit, and wiped everything down with damp paper towel. Cleaning took a lot longer than the actual cutting, but obviously is very important with sensitive bits inside.
I didn't have any official Dremel cutting wheels left, but I have used the 409 and the 540 discs in the past and they are super fragile and wear quickly on the thick metal. I estimate probably ten of the 409 discs and three of the 540 discs would be needed.
However I found these on eBay for FAR cheaper than the official kind, only seven bucks with a mandrel, and I barely got through half of one of them to do ALL the cutting. Really impressed, I'll have discs forever at the rate I use the Dremel :)
www.ebay.com.au/itm/10X-Fiberglass-Reinforced-Disc-Cut-Off-Wheel-32mm-Rotary-Tool-Mandrel-included-/181831154401
Finally some numbers! Who doesn't like numbers.
Room / GPU Core / CPU / Loop	2x Intake In | Baffle In Desk
Prime95+Furmark Temp   18.8 / 46 / 70 / 39.3 | 19.9 / 53 / 73 / 43.3
Loop to Room delta     27.2G / 51.2C / 20.5L | 33.1G / 53.1C / 23.4L
Power draw	                        499W | 546W
Boost Clock	              1500MHz 72% PL | 1253-1291MHz
SB	                   42.6 / 23.8 Delta | 52.9 / 33 Delta	

Wow! An amazing improvement just by adding more airflow, bringing the GPU down by 5.9°C, the CPU by 1.9°C, the loop by 2.9°C and the ambient/SB temp by 9.2°C. Even more impressive was that the addition of an extra fan caused a drop in load power consumption due to lowered temperatures - a not insignificant 47W saved! Plus the GPU was able to keep at its maximum overclock boost bin even with the silly Furmark load.

Really worth the time investment, though a modern case will probably have enough ventilation options this ol' Lian Li needed a helping hand. Since I'm invested and would rather not change cases, every little bit I can do helps :)

Edited by TheFrunj

Laing D5 Vario Suspension, Custom LED strips v1

A double post wow bam kapow etc.

vILPskil.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I was never satisfied with the original lighting setup, but hadn't gotten around to fixing it. I bought some Red 5050 LED rope, cut up some various fan connectors, and hooked up some lights to the front of the case - these are what will show anyway.
Two 44cm lengths were cut to go behind the front frame, there was just enough room for them.
I also totally removed all the HDD cages as I didn't really use the remaining Velociraptor, and I wanted max airflow through the system. It was done with the previous temp results so no data for just this change.

ARCE68vl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I mounted a 14cm piece, or three full segments, to the top and middle of the case using cable ties. The top was easy enough, I threaded a tie through some holes Lian Li left, and the middle I looped one through the broken bluray drive.

Oco4GFDl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

General procedure for the strips was to cut the length I wanted, scrape away the adhesive with a knife and expose bare copper, solder on some wires, duct tape and cable tie over them. I didn't have any heatshrink the right size, but they only need to sit there once installed.

fKdKgEel.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I wired it all up through a LED strip controller, a very cheap addition that allows constant brightness dimming through PWM, or a bunch of effects like flashing or breathing. Cheap and very useful. All the strips are connected with fan splitters, wired to the front on/off button.

TJ5vLIol.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

This is what it looks like with the front covers on and off, really neat. I also have a video of it breathing, which is the setting I settled on.

5NkgDfGl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

Since the HDD cages were gone, I had nowhere to mount my fans or pump, so I suspended the Laing D5 Vario pump with cable ties and silicon, and suspended the fans with the same materials. Fiddly but they are quite firmly in place, and I could even turn the pump up from speed 1 (lowest) to 2/5 while remaining totally inaudible. A worthwhile change.

Y85hCN8l.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

An overall view of things, dug out some old Noctuas from my last PC build as I needed them to fill out all the spots.

tfmo3k8l.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

Another view showing the bottom intake fans and the front intakes.

tjxpJ4rl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

I scrounged various projects and got all the Gentle Typhoons for my top rad, they're just barely quiet enough to use as they're 1850RPM models and I've become really sensitive to noise. Using some in-line resistors in addition to the fan controller to get them quiet enough.

ITUJjDXl.jpg

Imgur Full Size

Alt Low Quality

PSU has a bit of cooling from the GPU fan.

And here's a video of the lighting in action:

I don't like how the long 44cm strips are blocked so much by the front frame, the effect is lost somewhat when the 5.25" covers are on.

I've actually reworked things since taking these photos, hence v1 for the LEDs, but for posterity's sake they're here. I'll get around to taking some updated photos and posting those, though the general idea is the same. Looks nice.

Post and let me know what you think so far! :)

What an awesome thread! How have I not seen this before :-(

Incredible work TheFrunj; really going to enjoy going back looking at how your PC has evolved!

• Like 1