I'm not a huge fan of it and often find that I dislike the look of indicidually sleeved PSUs.

Are these PSU's that lose their sleeves during autumn and winter?

:P

where are you up to now?

Moar updates pl0x!

Sorry guys, deadline and life are making time to play with my techy bits a little hard to find. I'll get back into it soon as things quieten down a little :)

did the epicness of "THE BEAST" drain you?...

(sits in corner waiting)

Alright, finally I get around to doing an update - though this is a small-ish one. Since I'm going for quietness in this build I thought I'd take two things that I already had - a Corsair Airflow 2 GTL memory cooler that came with the Dominators, and a silicon PSU dampener:

Posted Image

I really want to minimise any vibration noise in the system (which irritates the hell outta me), so I decided to do a little modding and dampen the fan array. The case covers most of the fans already, but this module is separate from everything else. The first stage is to dismantle the Airflow module, which is done by unscrewing its two legs (four thumbscrews), then pulling out the eight screws holding everything together:

Posted Image

Once this was done I looked at the orientation I'd mount the PSU in my case (with the fan pointing downwards), and picked the uninterrupted side of the silicon dampener that would be hidden underneath the unit. I cut the siding with equal lengths of roughly 1cm, then cut them out using sharp scissors.

Posted Image

Next was to thread the screws through the mounting holes in one side of the Airflow module, and cut a small hole into the silicon strips using a hobby knife. I slid them down the screws until flush against the metal. I wasn't going to do all eight screws (requiring sixteen strips!), so I did four screws with each fan being held in by two, diagonally opposite each other. Like this:

fan1 | fan2

O 1 | 1 O

1 O | O 1

1 = dampened screw, 0 = undampened

Posted Image

Finally, I slid the two fans over the screws, and then slid the final pieces of silicon over the ends of the screws. I cut off the excess silicon around the screws with the hobby knife so they'd stay on. Then I placed on the final plate, flipped the whole thing over, and screwed the screws in. Voila! Dampened.

Posted Image

I screwed in the remaining four screws very lightly so they wouldn't contact the fans very much and transmit vibrations, and the mod (basic as it was) was finished. I'll be going back to the module later in the build to solder in some resistors - borrowed from two of my Noctua fans in my current rig (this one) - shorten the ultimate length of the cable, and then sleeve it.

But first things first - I've gotta get the bloody thing built at least once! More to hopefully come this weekend :)

very cool idea, i like it. cant wait for some more update man. wish i had your job too :P

edit: i bet you get that alot :P

Edited by TheFrunj
Edited by TheFrunj: Don't quote posts with images in them!

I'm not a huge fan of it and often find that I dislike the look of indicidually sleeved PSUs.

Are these PSU's that lose their sleeves during autumn and winter?

:P

See this is the kind of Gold that could have got me POTM.

This seems like its going to become an amazingly awesome build :D

Love the video of your mobo, stop motion filmd is awesome.

Which leads to another question that is a little off topic - what settings do you use generally/ did you use for those photos? (I am still aspiring to get my photos so I dont have to touch them up in photoshop.)

Which leads to another question that is a little off topic - what settings do you use generally/ did you use for those photos? (I am still aspiring to get my photos so I dont have to touch them up in photoshop.)

Well, it depends on the shot. The full shots all have the metadata intact, so you can see what I used. The first shots (of the pile of tech) were ISO-100 with an aperture of f22 and a 5 second exposure, sitting on a tripod and shot with a remote trigger (the best thing I ever bought for my camera).

This one I hand-held, with ISO-100, f4, 1/10 second exposure time. The most important thing is good lighting - the rest falls into place pretty easily.

Didn't get around to doing any more on the weekend, unfortunately, but soon! Or if not soon, eventually. Probably.

I hope so, leave it any longer and the 6970's will be out before the 5870's ever see light of day in your rig :(

Well, it depends on the shot. The full shots all have the metadata intact, so you can see what I used. The first shots (of the pile of tech) were ISO-100 with an aperture of f22 and a 5 second exposure, sitting on a tripod and shot with a remote trigger (the best thing I ever bought for my camera).

This one I hand-held, with ISO-100, f4, 1/10 second exposure time. The most important thing is good lighting - the rest falls into place pretty easily.

Didn't get around to doing any more on the weekend, unfortunately, but soon! Or if not soon, eventually. Probably.

Cheers for that, I did mean for the stop motion film. But I am guessing you used similar settings. (ISO-100 etc). Though since you have also been quoting f-numbers and exposure time (which yes can be taken from the metadata) that you control both? Or so you leave them on auto?

Cheers for that, I did mean for the stop motion film. But I am guessing you used similar settings. (ISO-100 etc). Though since you have also been quoting f-numbers and exposure time (which yes can be taken from the metadata) that you control both? Or so you leave them on auto?

Oh right, yeah, the same idea applies - though the most important part for a stop-motion is to keep the settings exactly the same. I used full manual mode with ISO-100, 1.3" exposure, f10 aperture, 'Tungsten' setting for colour temperature. Lighting is also important to keep as close as you can to identical throughout: filming in one uninterrupted length (each scene, anyway) is the best way to get a good result.

Oh right, yeah, the same idea applies - though the most important part for a stop-motion is to keep the settings exactly the same. I used full manual mode with ISO-100, 1.3" exposure, f10 aperture, 'Tungsten' setting for colour temperature. Lighting is also important to keep as close as you can to identical throughout: filming in one uninterrupted length (each scene, anyway) is the best way to get a good result.

Cheers again. Hopefully I can start getting some pictures which are that clear. :)

I hope so, leave it any longer and the 6970's will be out before the 5870's ever see light of day in your rig :(

Never fear, it is time for another fun-filled update! The clowns will be here later.

I scrounged time to build the system in its entirety today, on air cooling. A word of warning to anyone considering a stop-motion of their build: it takes a metric fucktonne of time to do. The first shot I took today was at 1:41PM; the last was at 6:32PM, with some 430+ shots inbetween. Exhausting.

But rather than go on and on and on about how a computer is built (which odds are you know), here are some shots. They're not all great, but I was tired by the end of it and couldn't be bothered spending the time to get 100% good shots. Expect more stopmotion joy when I get to edit the photos into a shiny video!

Build process, with silicon PSU dampener and the handy clamp. SSD mounting on the adapter bracket. 5.25" blanking plate removal.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

A shot of the mobo falling into place. Fan cabling. ATX cabling.

Cards in the system, crossfired up. A shot turned off. A shot turned on! SHE LIVES!

Messing around with some long-exposure shots of the shiny lights. The fans are stupid loud; especially that Intel heatsink. Shiny ram.

Posted Image

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/Th...MG_7465copy.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd13/Th...MG_7467copy.jpg

Next step is to get an OS on the rig (prolly Win7 x64 Ult or HP), I'm thinking I'll n/v/7lite it to trim the extra crap in the OS. Then benchmarks, overclocking, and to rip it all out again to start cutting the case :D

I've also updated the OP with a list of official worklog updates, to make it easier to find them again.

For something called project red there's a lot of blue in that case :)

Looking good though!

For something called project red there's a lot of blue in that case :)

Looking good though!

Yeah, that's the stock config. Silly Lian Li. I'm actually impressed at just how bright and colourful the stock fans are - but those Scythes are itching for a day in the sun.

Stopmotion coming later today, too :)

goodie!..something to look forward to...

are you going to add some green for xmas time?

Yay stopmotion time! Full build on air :D

Let me know what you think please! I'm probably NOT going to do it for my watercooling loop (I'd like to be done before Christmas) >.<

In HD:

epic man,just epic.....

please tell me how you did that...or is it thefrunj magic again?

Yay stopmotion time! Full build on air :D

Let me know what you think please! I'm probably NOT going to do it for my watercooling loop (I'd like to be done before Christmas) >.<

[yotube]yeU_cBPRk1w[/yotube]

In HD:

That is freaking awesome! If I had a cake I would give to you.

/Hands Justin an imaginary cake.

POTM +1

Edited by argotha

i wanna see hawkeye build one....then race them...