May all your camels spit dates you clever turkey

I have no idea

Frunj, how do you find working with vinyl dye over a standard paint? Would you recommend people stick with vinyl dye for fans or would an acrylic spray pack work well too?

I found the consistency of the white dye left a lot to be desired - it went on very runny, and dried to leave a very disappointingly cracked finish, like a dishwashing tablet or chalk. The red stuff was fantastic to work with, the consistency was bang-on what I'd hoped, and the finish is smooth. More importantly though, the finish is very hard; I can see it surviving a few hard knocks and being no worse for the wear.

I went with the acrylic dye because I don't like the finish of spray painting without all the extra effort needed in sanding and gloss coats. The dye was just a couple coats, leave it to dry, and reassemble. Couldn't have been easier. I haven't used a spray pack, so can't comment on what it's like. I imagine it'd make it easier to apply a more consistent light coverage which would make the finish texture more even.

In the slightly more annoying stakes, it seems that the compression fittings I ordered were incorrect :( They're 7/16"ID and 5/8"OD, where the tubing I bought is 1/2"ID and 3/4"OD. Stupidly PCCG listed the fittings as being 1/2", which I just assumed would work ok (I've never used compressions before). So I made yet another order today for more fittings, hopefully correct this time, from the kool room. Hopefully they turn up quickly. I'm sending the useless fittings back to PCCG for a credit. I've taken the roof off the case and am thinking I'll dremel a hole for the radiator tomorrow. It looks like I'll have about 10mm of width and 25mm of length to play with around it, haha.

firstly the kool room rocks! everytime ive used them, they've been awesome and very very fast. but they need ghost drops instead of jbeans or organic lollies :P

secondly, love the fan paining guide, i have those fans :P

thirdly, yes barbs and compressions can be tricky, i tend to stick with ordering stuff liek that from either gammods or the koolroom, hardware from pccg :)

finally, cant wait to see pics of it comming together!

well bloody done! xD

Wheras 7/16" is perfect for 1/2" barbs for a tight fit.

Yeah, I tried one of the swiftech barbs on for size and it fit into the tubing very easily, and could be tugged off without too much force. Which was concerning. Definitely would want 7/16" tube for those barbs, or at the very least a decent clamp.

firstly the kool room rocks! everytime ive used them, they've been awesome and very very fast. but they need ghost drops instead of jbeans or organic lollies :P

Definite +1 to the ghost drops! Flashbacks to childhood there :D I guess that's the 'free stuff' I've heard is included with orders, lol.

It's taken enough time, hey? It'll be running before Christmas. I hope. Probably.

>.>

Yeah, I tried one of the swiftech barbs on for size and it fit into the tubing very easily, and could be tugged off without too much force. Which was concerning. Definitely would want 7/16" tube for those barbs, or at the very least a decent clamp.

Definite +1 to the ghost drops! Flashbacks to childhood there :D I guess that's the 'free stuff' I've heard is included with orders, lol.

It's taken enough time, hey? It'll be running before Christmas. I hope. Probably.

>.>

Indeed, seems since you can get 7/16" with decent thickness walls, you can't go past it for barbs.

But yeah it's a little worrying how loose the 1/2" tubing can be on the barbs

>.>

yea first order i got had a can of lol and organic jbeans which werent too bad, still have the lol actually. second and third orders just had a bag of organic lollies which i had one then promplty threw out.

if only i could convince them to get ghost drops! they'd steal all of gam's customers!

my parcel from them got in adelaide like the day after i rodered it, but stupid fastaway has had it sitting there for 4 days now. the koolroom needs another method of posting the item, like aus post for liek small orders of barbs and stuff like that.

So I made yet another order today for more fittings, hopefully correct this time, from the kool room.

The order arrived! It took longer than otherwise because I added stuff to it at the last minute, delaying it by a day. Still pretty fast though, and all the stuff was packed very securely. Got myself:

12x enzotech 1/2"ID 3/4"OD compressions

6x 45(degree symbol that I forget how to type) rotary adaptors for GPU blocks and rad

1x silver strip for antimicrobial use (I already had something, but this way it's guaranteed to have enough)

1x can of Razz Bri (never thought I'd see that stuff again!)

1x box of Jelly Belly beans, 50g

All in all pretty darn happy with my koolroom experience :) Definitely worth a look-in for those interested in watercooling.

I've done a quick test-fit over the tubing I have and it fits perfectly. Very impressed with the enzotech comps, they're very solidly made (and come with o-rings in different colours! No red, but orange is close enough considering how often they'll be seen). The rotaries were a last minute idea - I didn't think bigger compression fittings would work with my MCW80's, so this is a nice dodge. Got an update coming soonish, just have to put the finishing touches on it and write it up. Any interest in a "how to mount a rad in the top of your case" guide, or should I skip it and just post pics? I don't mind either way (guides are fun).

Nice!

I generally go with Radiical, they are brilliant with customer service and have good products from experience.

Once they forgot to ask me a question about some certain standoffs, so they shipped both different sets for the price of one, incase they gave me the wrong one.

Although Gammods seems to be the new place to go, I haven't heard of Koolroom until now, I might look up stuff there too ^

Nice!

I generally go with Radiical, they are brilliant with customer service and have good products from experience.

Once they forgot to ask me a question about some certain standoffs, so they shipped both different sets for the price of one, incase they gave me the wrong one.

Although Gammods seems to be the new place to go, I haven't heard of Koolroom until now, I might look up stuff there too ^

gam's and the koolroom come both highly recomended from me, havent used radiical yet. I like gams cos i dotn have to pay via paypal which you do with the koolroom, hopefully the'll have direct deopist soon.

So I made yet another order today for more fittings, hopefully correct this time, from the kool room.

The order arrived! It took longer than otherwise because I added stuff to it at the last minute, delaying it by a day. Still pretty fast though, and all the stuff was packed very securely. Got myself:

12x enzotech 1/2"ID 3/4"OD compressions

6x 45(degree symbol that I forget how to type) rotary adaptors for GPU blocks and rad

1x silver strip for antimicrobial use (I already had something, but this way it's guaranteed to have enough)

1x can of Razz Bri (never thought I'd see that stuff again!)

1x box of Jelly Belly beans, 50g

All in all pretty darn happy with my koolroom experience :) Definitely worth a look-in for those interested in watercooling.

I've done a quick test-fit over the tubing I have and it fits perfectly. Very impressed with the enzotech comps, they're very solidly made (and come with o-rings in different colours! No red, but orange is close enough considering how often they'll be seen). The rotaries were a last minute idea - I didn't think bigger compression fittings would work with my MCW80's, so this is a nice dodge. Got an update coming soonish, just have to put the finishing touches on it and write it up. Any interest in a "how to mount a rad in the top of your case" guide, or should I skip it and just post pics? I don't mind either way (guides are fun).

haha i still have my can of tropkl from my first koolroom order. and yes a guide would be cool mate do it! :p good idea on the compressions and yea the enozotech are great, pretty awesome that they incude dif colour o-rings too!

DO THE GUIDE!! Sorry.... *cough* don't know what came over me..

Guides are great and really helpful for anyone who doesn't have prior experience with this kinda thing. Actually it would be cool to have some sort of guide sticky so that people could post guides and have them remain easily accessible.

Small update because I have had no energy of late. Have cut a hole for the rad, but I'm still finagling some small details so it'll fit (there's bits of the superstructure in the way, and annoyingly the 38mm rear fan is about 5mm too deep :/). Also done some sleeving of bits and pieces.

Posted Image

Pulled apart the Laing D5 pump and whacked an EK-D5 X-top on it using

- the EK instructions (PDF) are less than clear. Bothered with the pump top so I could have the inlet and outlet facing directly out of the pump. I also applied thick silicon between the pump and its mounting plate to minimise vibration noise, and will add more silicon between the mounting plate and the hdd cage. Planning to mount it in the highest hdd cage as marked out in pen here:

Posted Image

Oh, and I'd ordered some MNPC replacement feet. They're seriously hardcore. I'll post about them later. Here's a teaser:

Posted Image

Anyone know anything about potentiometers? I'm interested in modding my keyboard with some of those LEDs but might want to fiddle with brightness. Any advice would be appreciated.

So this is not looking likely. Updates have been getting further and further apart, and smaller too. There are things going on in life that I can't control right now, and I won't be finished with this build for months. Even though I have all the parts right here, gathering dust. I had hoped it'd be done ages ago, but when life gives you lemons you've just gotta sit the fuck down and be bitter about stuff for a while.

I'll update in 2011 when I claw my way back to being able to do things. Until then check out nukey's thread; he's got some neat parts that should rock.

Hope things get better for you man.

Its nice to see you back in this part of the forum too.

I'll update in 2011 when I claw my way back to being able to do things. Until then check out nukey's thread; he's got some neat parts that should rock.

Speaking of which, I recieved most of my parts from PCCG on Friday, waiting for the tubing, dye, silver and fittings from The Kool Room and the G80 adaptor plates from EBay and then it should be ready to build. I wouldn't expect anything until after Xmas at the earliest though. Not much point putting the new loop in without the G80 plates! :D

So I'm resurrecting this thread to say this project probably won't be completed :( At least in its current form, anyway.

I'll update this again if/when I'm able to.

So I'm resurrecting this thread to say this project probably won't be completed :( At least in its current form, anyway.

I'll update this again if/when I'm able to.

Is the system up and running?

Nope, it's been sitting in pieces since the last update :(

aww man thats a bit sad so much potential! hope you get round to it once all is good. :)

ive already sold project blue lol!

Nope, it's been sitting in pieces since the last update :(

Really should just try and build it man. Would probably good for you to still try. I know my mum would love going out in the garden when she felt like shit after Chemo.

Justin, I'm coming to Sydney to build it for you :P

Yeah I'd pretty much do that too lol :P

i was really looking forward to this!

:(

oh well, So anything in the future planned?

Justin, I'm coming to Sydney to build it for you :P

Yeah I'd pretty much do that too lol :P

id be up for that too :)

Haha thanks all :) I might give it a go later, for now I'm happy with lappy. Been doing work for Atomic again, which is keeping me busy.