Sign in to follow this  
NukeJockey

HAF X Build Log

So once again, I decided to go for a case change, I was after something cool and spacious with enough room for a watercooling loop, my previous experience with the HAF 932 was quite good so I decided to give the HAF X a try.

The first problem was trying to find somewhere to mount the radiator (2x120) the HAF X has room for a 3x120 up the top of the case, but that wasn't really going to work for me as I have a Swiftech MCW 220 DRIVE Radiator/Reservoir/Pump Combo.

Posted Image

After looking at the options in the case, I decided a little bit of modding was in order. With the Help of Dasa, we made a template and drilled some holes into the side of the HDD Bays.

Posted Image

The rad sat perfectly, however we needed something to make sure it wasn't going to rattle, some rubber on the radiator and some rubber washers on the screws were perfect.

Posted Image

After the radiator was mounted, we did a bit of a leak test, which was lucky, as the cap on the reservoir wasn't done up tightly enough. Unfortunately, the reservoir was at the bottom of the Radiator and there wasn't enough space to get even a stubby screw driver or a ratchet up underneath it. A Flathead Screwdriver bit and some pliers got it done up, slow, but it worked. After some hasty ordering during the week, it turned out I ordered the wrong reservoir, so we had to make our own, which was simple enough, by putting a T piece inbetween the inlet of the pump and the outlet of the CPU block, we were able to make a reservoir out of a piece of pipe.

Posted Image

I had a 20cm fan left over from my old HAF 932 and as the HAF X has only 1 exhaust fan on the top of the case (with room for 2) we decided to add another fan. However it didn't fit. Luckily for us, the Fan on the door of the case was the same as the one on the top, so we swapped the X fan on the door with the 932 fan and mounted both the X fans to the top of the case (sorry, didn't get a pic of this)

Posted Image

(Thats the 932 fan on the left of the pic with me taking the X fan off the door )

I decided to use a new CPU block (EK Plexi) and added some red LEDs to it along with some orange/red CCs in the case. The cable management turned out quite well, although I still don't understand why companies insist on putting windows over HDD bays. (Guys, if you're listening, no one wants to see that shit!.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And heres a link to the rest of the album!

http://s1042.photobucket.com/albums/b424/N...puters/HAF%20X/

Oh and a big thanks to Dasa, without him I wouldn't have been able to do this :)

Edited by nukejockey

love it man! very sweet. i might go out and buy a new rad and a 932 and mod so its green :P

Wow, I love this shot!

Posted Image

Nice work :) How are temps going? Better than before?

Slightly worse than when I had the rad externally mounted with the Swiftech Apogee XT block, but about 15-20c better than the silver arrow.

My GTX480 also idles in the low-mid 30s now and loads up to about 75c at 55% fan speed.

In the raven it was idling around 60c and loading at 90c with 66% fan speed.

And yeah, the phone pics are taken by my girlfriend, the professional looking shots are taken by Dasa with his tripod :)

I was sitting there looking at that photo for quite a while, I like it alot.

Oh and CPU linpack loaded up to around ~60c after 15 minutes with a case temp of roughly 22c and a room temp of around 20c.

love it man! very sweet. i might go out and buy a new rad and a 932 and mod so its green :P

Oh, you mean like this?

Edited by nukejockey

Posted Image

that pic is Sexy!!

nice build nuke!!

i reckon this be featured in atomic......in a mod/readers rig section....

guess ill have to hurry up and get my haf x then...

Edited by jdog

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it, turned out better than I expected, seems so much neater having the rad installed internally and I think its hard to tell that it had to be modded a little bit to fit the rad in there, it seems such a perfect fit!

With just enough room for the GTX480 aswell.

Should also note, we turned the fans around, so the rear the back top fan are both intakes (blowing directly over the board, 30c off my MCH temps in the BIOS XD) the 2nd top fan is an outlet, as is the front fan. So its all positive pressure, theoretically, the radiator should be getting nearly as much fresh air as it would if it was mounted outside/at the top of the case.

Just need to look at replacing the Tricool fans, they're a bit old and loud now.

Nice work :-)

I suspect I may end up with a HAF case sometime in the future. Previously I've avoided them due to concerns about dust, but from what I understand a) they have improved in this area and b) there are aftermarket filters you can buy.

post in tunskys atomic rig gallary!!

in the top 10 i rekon...

Edited by jdog

wish i lived near you guys (nuke and dasa) then we could all have an awesome get together! :P oh and nice slipers lol

edit: yea like the link to the green 932, lol or it might have to be blue now since i no longer have the lanparty board and have the gd80. that or ill get round to modding my nvidia 690 (the bloody fans at the top are 20mm apart! (not the 15mm for rad spacings!) Or i could use a 280mm rad))). /rant

Edited by tunksy

its nice to see it all come together like this :)

yes those slippers are nice and comfy in a cold house

nuke is in south vic im north central so he had to drive ~250k to get here so we could play with the case and a bit of gaming while also enjoying some nice big home made meals

just realized if you add those 5 case fans together thats 500cfm not bad considering its fairly quiet

Edited by Dasa

Posted Image

that pic is Sexy!!

nice build nuke!!

i reckon this be featured in atomic......in a mod/readers rig section....

guess ill have to hurry up and get my haf x then...

Id have to agree that pic looks amazing. Awesome work Nuke.

nuke is in south vic im north central so he had to drive ~250k to get here so we could play with the case and a bit of gaming while also enjoying some nice big home made meals

just realized if you add those 5 case fans together thats 500cfm not bad considering its fairly quiet

Worth it.

Third time this year too, lol.

haha damn almost right bang in the middle of where the rest of my family lives! pretty good that he'd drive that far to go see ya and have a good time!

Dasa has asked me to post these photos up that he took aswell.

Posted Image

Posted Image

those two shots are just awsome! nice shots dasa!

anyone else think this worth of front page?...

Edited by jdog

those two shots are just awsome! nice shots dasa!

anyone else think this worth of front page?...

i think nukes positioning of the lights made the shots

for me it wasnt much more than point and click with a few different exposures

and that blurry one is what happens when you try to take a shot holding a camera then realise its set to a 6 second exposure

mind you i was surprised with how good they turned out with the old panasonic fz20 as in the past low light shots often had a bit much noise

NICE!

Posted Image

A lot of those pics don't do it any justice, the saving grace was the pic above.

I like the set up. Rad pulling air through the HDDs and over the vid. I like it.

Any of that air going past the RAM too? I couldn't help but think a x3 rad would have cooled the RAM also.

Very nice set up.

Wrong direction man.

Its intaking from the back of the case and the top left fan and exhausting through the front of the case via the rads and the front 20cm fan and 1 of the top fans.

Is there a reason why you went one way and not the other?

Either way, its a nice set up.

the rad puts out warm air which we wanted out of the case asap not blowing over the gpu

the 200mm side fan on the haf brings in plenty of air for the gpu

here is a dodgy paint pic to show in theory the airflow path

Posted Image

That is one sweet build buddy

Those HAF cases are great for cooling everything inside just bloody heavy if you need to move it. Lucky I go to the gym 5 days a week so it's not so heavy:)

Congrats