eechengdo

PC won't boot and gigabyte mobo beep codes

I had this desktop of for 2.5 yrs:

intel core 2 quad q9300

gigabyte ga ep35 ds3r

2gb ddr2 800 ram corsair

asus gf 9600gt VGA

It just stopped booting (didnt modify/upgrade or even open the thing). No video and the gigabyte mb beeps 3 times, pause, 8 beeps then restarts and repeats. I can't find the beep codes for this mb (waiting for gigabyte response) but a google search suggest either VGA or CPU incompatibilty but this CPU has worked for 2+years. I removed the RAM, VGA, HDD one by one till it was only CPU, mb and PSU but still got the same beep code. Any idea? I even reseated the CPU but no difference.

It does seem to be a CPU problem. Are you able to test the CPU in another motherboard? or can you test another CPU in your motherboard?

long beeps. Unfortunately I have no spare parts to test them. I must be so unlucky if its the CPU

This might help:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?

A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems.

(For reference only.)

1 short: System boots successfully

2 short: CMOS setting error

1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error

1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error

1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error

1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error

Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly

Continuous short beeps: Power error

From page 105 of the GA-EP35-DS3R/GA-EP35-DS3 Manual, link is here:

http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherb...%28ds3%29_e.pdf

thanks i came across that too but my beep code does not match any of those. but on second thought, maybe the 8 long beeps are actually continuous long beeps indicating VGA problem (there is no post screen after all) before the PC resets. 3 short beeps indicate keyboard but my 3 beeps are long beeps (at least 1.5sec long).

Can you try the GPU in another slot? Alternatively are there any atomicans nearby that you can utilise a GPU from to test the system?

ok I got the computer working but still unstable. It was one of the ram. And I had to put the remaining ram in one particular slot otherwise it won't go past the post screen (just black screen with the blinking underscore). The computer now works but will monitor it as it did crash and won't let me go in the bios (keyboard works). The beep code was useless.