.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Considering getting a sound card

Hmm, decisions decisions. I've heard that the MS-1 has a narrow sound stage, whilst the AD-700 is very wide.

Or I could go for closed headphones (which would be nice for privacy), but I've got canalphones for that.

If I can get my bloody Paypal account unlocked, I'll probably go for the MS-1.

1 yo?

What's the story there?

When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much, they have a special hug... Need I go on?

:p

1 yo?

What's the story there?

When a mummy and a daddy love each other very much, they have a special hug... Need I go on?

Yes..............please do.........

Even if cyb3r is the eldest, you'd think that by now, they'd have figured out what's causing it!

1 yo?

What's the story there?

Yes..............please do.........

Even if cyb3r is the eldest, you'd think that by now, they'd have figured out what's causing it!

Yeah..........last time the dollar was over 90c............i was gonna get this and that but waited too long and it plunged!

I like the ASUS cards but this is in your price zone too.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-studio.php

This one isn't much over $100.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-raider.php

What's the advantage of going Auzentech over ASUS? Apart from them being a little cheaper, that is.

I'm trying to keep well away from Creative after they screwed people with shitty drivers, then targeted the community which hacked them to work.

May I make a huge and 'wacky' suggestion?

Find a USB sound card normally used for DJing or audio work.

Internal solutions seem to have better bang for buck, so I'll stick with them.

Good point about the creative cards mate.. If i had my time again I would have got something else instead of the creative card I have.. When its wroking its pretty good. But when you have to get hacked drivers to get things like DTS and Dolby to work in windows 7 thats a bit poor IMO.

Heh, looks like I might be getting my hands on a Xonar Xense and Essense STX soon.

You need some good phones then................believe me!

PM me if you want to try the 701s.

The MS1i came in today. They sound pretty good so far! Will listen to them properly after I get this study done. D:

LogicprObe, thanks for the offer. I'll see how these go first. :)

But its digital.... noise shouldnt matter as long as the 1's and 0's make it through.

To compare to a human.

10101010101 is easy to read

I01O1ol0101 is not as easy; but its still clearly the 'same thing' to decode.

I'm sure you already know all this >< but to a PC digital signals and noise dont matter as long as its still decodable.

It depends how it's made. USB devices use power from the USB port. If that power is noisy, it can cause weird issues. Put it this way, if I connect my speakers via USB to charge them, I can hear my mouse movements through the speaker via crackle. Perhaps your solution can clean a bad power input, but either way, I don't want external because my brother will try to rip it out and perhaps attempt to eat it.

This...

Since the signal is digital right up to the USB audio device itself, the analogue electronics therefore have to be implemented at the end of the USB cable. The USB cable's length introduce inductance, and can be a source of noise pickup. Even a dongle which some would say doesn't have a "cable" will still suffer from noise induced onto the USB +5V rail internally.

You can, sidestep some interference this way. I found using a USB headset to record lectures at uni resulted in much better clarity as it didn't tend to pick up interference from internal devices such as the IDE controller (yes, Toshiba are shitty at good analogue design). You can add capacitance across the +5V rail to help stabilise the voltage by modifying a commercial USB extension lead to add capacitors between the 0V and +5V pins (I'd suggest a 1uF electrolytic and 100nF ceramic in parallel), but it's still not going to be immune.

The best you can do is rely on optical communications, then ensure the device at the other end of the optical cable has its own isolated supply. Very hard for interference to induce itself into the digital signal which is transmitted optically... and if the computer and speaker's amplifier don't share a common power rail, the interference can't couple itself into the output that way either.

Well I got my Essense STX yesterday. As far as I can tell, it's noise free. Will spend more time with it after exams...

Best of luck in those exams.

Make sure you do a nice write up on those cans when you've got a chance im looking to get a decent set that I can wear for 6+ sessions.

Hmm, burn in. Maybe I should do some experiments by playing "burn in" tracks into a microphone, and see if it has any affect apart from placebo. Might be tricky to do accurately though.

Hmm, burn in. Maybe I should do some experiments by playing "burn in" tracks into a microphone, and see if it has any affect apart from placebo. Might be tricky to do accurately though.

I meant the headphones.

After a while, the suspension becomes a little less stiff.