.:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Considering getting a sound card

Good point about the creative cards mate.. If i had my time again I would have got something else instead of the creative card I have.. When its wroking its pretty good. But when you have to get hacked drivers to get things like DTS and Dolby to work in windows 7 thats a bit poor IMO.

I'm looking to upgrade my onboard sound too and have got this link from Auzentech X-Fi Bravura 7.1 Refurbished.

I didn't know that Auzentech sell directly to public also this card has got Creative processor so that's why it's refurbished??

I also have visited Auzuntech forum to see what the problem with these cards but the feedback there seems just utopia.

Asus forum too has got many enquirers without answer.

My budget it's around $80/100

Can anyone please enlight on this and suggest a "reliable" sound card?

So I have the Essence STX in my machine, and it sounds great. However, when using RMAA I'm getting noise values of -105dB at best, when I should be getting closer to -128dB. I'm suspecting that my loopback cable has something to do with it, but the results seem to fluctuate randomly, which suggests the problem lies elsewhere. What do you guys think? I'm suspecting there's noise on the PCIe bus, or perhaps the power isn't particularly clean. Anything else I should look out for?

How'd you go? I tried it in the family PC, and it's significantly better (about -114db, which is about right considering the line in is only rated for -118dB). Still not sure where the problem lies, probably the motherboard.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Having a bit of trouble with my 64 bit install back to 32 bit but my Audigy disappeared.

So I played the Essence through the speakers for the first time tonight...............THAT'S what sounds bassy, rather than the 701's!

I may have to play with the equalizer a bit.

If you do run RMAA, make sure you run it with a flat EQ.

Yeah..............haven't changed anything yet.

Got 2 comps on the bench I'm supposed to be fixing.........

What O/S?

Windows XP Professional SP3

Are Auzuntech Creative's re-badged??

No.

They just use their chips.

Do you know how they compare because I think that Auzuntech are a bit more expensive than Creative.

Ok, now I know what burning sound card smells like! >_

Luckily it was the Xense, not my beloved Essence. Hopefully ASUS replace review samples...

Or I could fix it myself (maybe), the card still works, but the sound is a bit wacky (I think the amp power input is screwed). Hopefully just a dead capacitor or two. :/

I think Auzuntech have decent driver support?

I dunno that's why I'm asking you guys.

I saw on Auzuntech they so "much" compare with Creative "we're better we do this we do that bla bla..." and that is fine, but then I went on they forum and found problems related to the sound cards but they got no answer as well.

So I quit with Creative (at least 2 past bad experiences), what are the alternatives?

You should start your own thread for your questions.

Sorry I thought I had the exact same issue that's why I posted in here.

Cheers.

Ok, now I know what burning sound card smells like! >_<

Luckily it was the Xense, not my beloved Essence. Hopefully ASUS replace review samples...

Or I could fix it myself (maybe), the card still works, but the sound is a bit wacky (I think the amp power input is screwed). Hopefully just a dead capacitor or two. :/

Ha!

What'd you do to it?

Barry Manilow?

Ok, now I know what burning sound card smells like! >_

Ha!

What'd you do to it?

Barry Manilow?

:P

To be honest, I think I put the molex connector in the wrong way. I was in a rush to get these bloody tests done, and yeah. >_

Not sure how I managed it though, I tried to put it in the wrong way again (with the power off), and couldn't do it. So either I'm going crazy, or I have supernatural abilities when I'm in a rush...

Problem is, I can't see any sign of physical damage, so I have no idea what died! Will need to find a multimeter and randomly prod...

Anyway, I have enough data to finish the review. Turns out the Xense has better frequency response than the Essence STX. At least that's what my data says.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

To be honest, I think I put the molex connector in the wrong way. I was in a rush to get these bloody tests done, and yeah. >_<

Hehe, it's definitely possible. I did it with a CD drive. The PSU at the time wasn't of fantastic quality and the molex connectors weren't fantastically formed, so I just crammed it in there. Dead drive.

Is the card alive?

Is the card alive?

Indeed it is. But doing tests on it shows that its screwy. My multimeter is broken, so I can't check what died.

Better RMA it............