Sign in to follow this  
Pimps_2000

Specs for a file serve

Hi guys. Im setting up a "server" computer for my dental surgery. In the past i always server computers needed to be very fast, with multiple backs up on site and off site. However i remember posting about this on other threads, and some members thought i was insane for using a i7 960 as a server. File server= low specs computer?

The functions of this "server" is bascically to share files to the other computers on the network. FIles such as data files and patient jpg of X rays. The same "server computer" is currrently running win xp pro . Should i upgrade the server to win 7 pro? And no its not using windows server.

thanks for your help

if its only a file server just use a low end cpu like a x2/245 amd or budget intel, hell my sempron still pushes files over the network @60-70 meg per second.

windows 7 will be fine, you should only need 2 gig of ram aswell.

if the server runs everything fine now just leave it unless there is another reason.

Considering that as a file server it only needs to run an aesthetically bare windows, a low power x2 would do the trick (less heat). If it was me I'd want low power and reliable, nothing about performance gear screams that to me. I'm not saying that it cant be - my computer runs about 24/7 and my cpu idles at about 21 degrees but I do think that a low watt cpu would be a good idea to avoid noise and overheating. I'd use a mother board with integrated graphics (although these days even the integrated from amd is overkill for this task), 2 gig (i might even go 3-4 because its cheap but it would be overkill) of rock solid not fast ram, at least 1gigabit of wired network speed and potentially a raid setup for the hdd's to get a better read/write speed over the network + its own hdd to run windows off so that its windows operations didn't stifle transfer speeds.

But it all depends on whether you have any reason to upgrade and what your demands are for a system. I'd want to be able to stream 1080P media and serve music to multiple computers and potentially serve as a backup location - so, especially for the first, Id need a large bandwidth (I also hate lag). These days some businesses are using atom clusters for servers; totally overkill for you but it illustrates the low power cpu being used for a "high-end" task.

Insane? probably but I'll bet it works just fine for your needs - unless you want to tear it out to build a gaming or music/video editing desktop.