Acintai

Diablo III

I just think it's morally and ethically wrong, I guess. Like I said, if prices are super low then it's not going to be worth anyone's time actually DEDICATING their time towards farming/selling, but if prices are high, you're going to see (mostly younger) people do stupid things like skip school, skip work, drop out of school, quit jobs, because they'll think they can make some cash by spending 18+ hours a day on the game.

For the casual gamer or for the gamer who doesn't have a lot of time, yeah it's probably a good thing, but for somebody whose not entirely happy with their own life, or who is easily persuaded, it has the potential to ruin them even further.

I dunno, I just think it's wrong. I'm all for spending money on items/gold if you don't have the time to sit there for hours and farm, but to actually have the option of spending 18+ hours a day farming and then selling your items to make some cash every day, that's not cool :X

I'd be very surprised if that happened, WOW gold is about $18 for 10,000 and its not that easy/fun to farm that much gold, you couldn't do it in a single day, I doubt Diablo 3 items will fetch prices that makes it worth while for a single person to farm them.

I just think it's morally and ethically wrong, I guess. Like I said, if prices are super low then it's not going to be worth anyone's time actually DEDICATING their time towards farming/selling, but if prices are high, you're going to see (mostly younger) people do stupid things like skip school, skip work, drop out of school, quit jobs, because they'll think they can make some cash by spending 18+ hours a day on the game.

For the casual gamer or for the gamer who doesn't have a lot of time, yeah it's probably a good thing, but for somebody whose not entirely happy with their own life, or who is easily persuaded, it has the potential to ruin them even further.

I dunno, I just think it's wrong. I'm all for spending money on items/gold if you don't have the time to sit there for hours and farm, but to actually have the option of spending 18+ hours a day farming and then selling your items to make some cash every day, that's not cool :X

I'd be very surprised if that happened, WOW gold is about $18 for 10,000 and its not that easy/fun to farm that much gold, you couldn't do it in a single day, I doubt Diablo 3 items will fetch prices that makes it worth while for a single person to farm them.

I guess you are right, although WoW gold has definitely seen high and low times. I guess it's hard to predict what will happen with this without seeing the ingame economy fully established. The thing I'd be most worried about is with content patches, new items will cost a fortune because everyone wants them.

I doubt that. Like a lot of online trade things that allow offline play (such as video-poker), if MAGIC SWORD OF X, doesnt have unique item ID of "256bit encrypted key", which matches the server noting that it spawned one, its marked as offline.

I suppose so. I'm no expert on any of this so take what I say with a grain of salt. I just assumed the usual cycle of hack-fix-hack-fix etc would ensue, and having an offline component where more data is stored client side would make it easier.

I hope you're right though, and Blizz does decide to have an offline component, because as I've said Diablo really is the perfect game that lends itself to playing on your laptop when mobile and away from the internetz. Be a shame to lose that.

You'd be amazed at how much, even a poorly geared character, can make in a very short amount of time. I had my account hacked during WotLK and the amount of gold it made in a few days farming Shattered Halls was staggering. It was like giving up your account for 3-4days to get an all of the collect X gold achievements...

You could also do a few gdkp runs and, depending on drops, come out of it with that much cash.

TBH I'm just waiting for them to turn around now and decide to put in ladder resets every 6 months so people have to keep collecting gear over and over.

PK'ing farming bots on hardcore would be hilarious though...

You'd be amazed at how much, even a poorly geared character, can make in a very short amount of time. I had my account hacked during WotLK and the amount of gold it made in a few days farming Shattered Halls was staggering. It was like giving up your account for 3-4days to get an all of the collect X gold achievements...

You could also do a few gdkp runs and, depending on drops, come out of it with that much cash.

TBH I'm just waiting for them to turn around now and decide to put in ladder resets every 6 months so people have to keep collecting gear over and over.

PK'ing farming bots on hardcore would be hilarious though...

How short are we talking though? You'd need to make 10k every 2 hours to even think of substituting something like that for a day job.

Most reliable sources of farming gold are like 500-700/hour over a long term.

To farm that 10000 gold would take 20 hours, lets say you play 3 hours per night. So that's just about 1 week worth of nonstop in game farming when you log in, to gain 10k gold. Or you work less than an hour in RL for that 10K and spend the 21 hours you would have spent farming doing something fun.

That's why gold farming exists, that's why the market for in game currency exists. I can't say I'm not surprised. If there wasn't the fear of banning, I'd buy gold if I needed it. As long as I knew the gold wasn't gathered through hacking accounts and such.

I am acutaly more worried about people who will want to make a metagame out of profiteering off the auction house like we see in WoW all the time. I have seen, first hand, some very hardcore market manipulation that has the potential to ruin the in game economy the way it was intended to work.

Secondly if blizzard patch and re-balance items people have the potential to lose real world currency when Barbarians Great shield of the Ox goes form being rare and super powerful to common and not very good I have essentially lose real life money especially if I jsut brought that shield yesterday!

i still support the system however, but I will recognise its down sides.

How short are we talking though? You'd need to make 10k every 2 hours to even think of substituting something like that for a day job.

I wouldn't be able to wager a guess. This was over 12 months (and an expansion ago) so I couldn't be sure how much you can make these days or what the gold price was back then. It was something like 50k+ in vendoring drops in 2 days or so that went through the character if that's any help.

I am acutaly more worried about people who will want to make a metagame out of profiteering off the auction house like we see in WoW all the time. I have seen, first hand, some very hardcore market manipulation that has the potential to ruin the in game economy the way it was intended to work.

Secondly if blizzard patch and re-balance items people have the potential to lose real world currency when Barbarians Great shield of the Ox goes form being rare and super powerful to common and not very good I have essentially lose real life money especially if I jsut brought that shield yesterday!

Just wait for the tears when they go through and delete all the dupped items or run a ruststorm. The tears you get when that happens in D2 are already amazing...

Who knows, once something like soj sets itself as a form of alternate currency people could well end up just going back to trading items. Or then game might just be terrible and no one will play it and all this will be moot.

What? A console port? Rediculous. How on earth do they expect to port over the complex controls of Diablo over to consoles?

"CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

C

LICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKC

L

ICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCL

I

CKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLI

C

KCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK*

Easy just

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head regarding the "balancing". Blizzard are constantly messing with attributes of in game items in pursuit of balance, however it will be the "OP" items that people will be chasing to buy with their real world monies. In short it is money -> drain for the gamers.

Here's a comment on the rl cash auction house that echoes my sentiments:

The repercussinos of this are somewhat scary to me. Instead of taking 10 hours or so to farm the needed in-game gold to purchase an item from an AH, I can instead pay something like $3. In the past, I justified not doing that because it was illegal and could result in a ban; but now, how can I reasonably not do that? I work a job, making $XX thousand a year, so how can I not be willing to spend a few bucks to avoid a boring grind?

The "boring" grind is the game though...we do the grind to get the feeling of accomplishment, but now that feeling is gone too. I can have anything I want anytime I want it and I know anyone else that has something could have done the same. So instead of grinding for ten hours, I open my wallet -- but then what do I do with the time I saved? Watch TV? Than why did I buy the item?

The flip side to that then becomes to why not try and profit off the system? Spend time earing gear other's will pay for and sell it for real money. So what does that accomplish? Do the painful grind for cash? It's then like having a second job.

I love Blizzard, but this choice will very likely take all the fun out of the game. It's almost as if they've ignored the obvious psychological addictions people have for these games -- they've made the carrot to easy to reach. I will never be able to justify not purchasing something with actual dollars...

MMO Champ

It really does seem like the carrot has become too easy to reach for people like me. It almost begs the question then why bother playing the game at all.

So why bother playing the game?

Just because you can purchase an item doesn't complete the story/kill the enemy for you.

I said that about balance back here:

See Post 116 of this thread

And it's why I think items will not be all that high in price. Why pay 10s or 100s of dollars when Blizz can nerf your item whenever they like and you cant do anything. However, for a buck or two, people may be far more willing to take that gamble. After all it's not that much in comparison.

As for market manipulation, it will be infinitely harder than WoW. I used to do this on my own WoW server and racked up a great sum of money. On an average WoW server there are only about 5000 players I believe, so with such a small population, market manipulation isnt all that difficult. Whereas there will only be one RMT auction house for D3 for the specific region (according to Blizz), so the population will potentially be millions. This makes market manipulation very, very difficult. Basically impossible for a single person. Certainly a group of people might form some kind of real life cartel to manipulate things. Nonetheless, market manipulation by a single person in such an environment would be very, very hard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY OPINION (like anyone cares lol, anyway) IS THAT I DONT DISLIKE THE RMT. In fact, I kind of like it. I dont have a problem with the option being available (aside from my belief that it means no offline play which pisses me off). You dont have to use it. There are four main ways to get items. 1 - RMT; 2 - Normal ingame gold auction house; 3 - grind yourself; 4 - get given items by some kind soul. For me (and I expect many like me) option 1, using the RMT, is great. I dont have time to grind 10 hours for an item. So being able to spend a couple of bucks if I so choose means I can then spend my time ingame enjoying myself.

I believe that option 2, the normal ingame gold auction house, will work well too. That is, you'll find many good items on there, not just crap. I think that the prices for items on the RMT will be low, as I state above. I think the market will probably not bear more than a dollar or two for almost all items, maybe a few dollars for the very best. As Blizz takes a cut at both ends, and as you will pay Blizz for listing whether you sell or not, it's a risk to list items. The profit will be small (and why I dont believe that people will be able to live their dreams as farmers :P). There will be people (many of them?) who wont even bother listing items on the RMT because of the small profit to risk factor. Instead they'll just list them on the normal ingame gold auction house.

The other two options are self explanatory.

My only concern with the RMT is that for me, at least, it kind of feels like the carrot has been made too easy to get. These games create a psychological effect of spending time to grind to try to get the item you want, providing replay value. Now I can just buy the item. However, as the game uses randomized dungeons and the like, I think it will still maintain a decent amount of replay value and allow me my fun.

So why bother playing the game?

Just because you can purchase an item doesn't complete the story/kill the enemy for you.

Quite right, sir. See above post.

I can honestly say none of this phases me at all, I'll explain why.

First off, I only planned to play this online, I'm not a fan of playing Action RPGs by myself.

Secondly, Having the option to (legally) buy items and gold is fantastic imo, gold farming in games like wow etc. still help rands get good gear anyway, so this is no different.

And last, Its Diablo so you know its gonna be shitloads of fun anyway!

First off, I only planned to play this online, I'm not a fan of playing Action RPGs by myself.

Secondly, Having the option to (legally) buy items and gold is fantastic imo, gold farming in games like wow etc. still help rands get good gear anyway, so this is no different.

+1

My only concern with the RMT is that for me, at least, it kind of feels like the carrot has been made too easy to get. These games create a psychological effect of spending time to grind to try to get the item you want, providing replay value. Now I can just buy the item. However, as the game uses randomized dungeons and the like, I think it will still maintain a decent amount of replay value and allow me my fun.

Sadly, a lot of that style of carrot has gone. This isn't Diablo 1 or 2, it's Blizzard catering to their wowkiddiefanboi demographic who expects to be handed new items every week for minimal effort (preferably in their mailbox for just logging in). The replay from ladder resets is gone. The replay from not being able to respec to try another build or base a character around another set of gear or runeword is gone. The replay from stupidly spending skill points is gone. It's no longer about the fun of playing the game to get to max level, it's all about being max level as soon as possible and being kitted out for the less amount of effort possible.

I must say, I was looking forward to D3 for when I work away. I work in a lot of rural areas, and as such, load up the Macbook with a few games / movies etc to keep me busy rather than heading to the pub every night...

This is a big let down, I don't want to have to use my 3G data just to play Diablo :/

Agreed. It's a nuisance at the least, and obtrusive, offensive DRM at the worst.

That's fine, but what about the principle of what is going on? The forest, instead of the trees? The very idea that you cannot play a game that you have paid $50-$100 for unless and until Blizzard lets you? In essence, that you do not own the game you have paid for (but lets not get dragged into the 'merits' of ownership of CD Keys and licences etc)? Remember recently when EA banned a member from their forums for complaining, and he was then locked out of his digital game account and couldn't play Bioshock etc? What happens if an over zealous blue at Blizzard doesn't like you moaning about a balance change to your favourite character, and you get locked out? DDoS attack on Blizz servers?

Let me reiterate, it's the principle that offends. These terribad what-if Chicken Little scenarios in and of themselves are not necessarily bad and can be worked around, sure - don't be a jerk on their boards you won't get banned; I've got a $XXXX valued Steam account and have NBN at home so I'm always connected and know no different; I live at home with mum and dad and play exclusively on a desktop and don't pay utilities so none of this affects me - but those reasons reek of head in the sand thinking.

Even though it may not pertain to D3, what about LAN parties? They're not always connected to the 'net, so we might not be LANning D3 like we all could in D2 10 goddamn years ago. It's regressive in every way.

Further, it's not as if it is hard to have an exclusively offline mode either. Make it a check box that you select when you create a character, like Hardcore mode. 'Selecting this box will render this character and all of its items/achievements unusable in all forms of online play', and then that's it.

Of course, it's not all bad - and I don't mean to come across as Aldous Huxley dystopian as I sound. I'm just not prepared to give up various consumer rights without kicking up a stink first, no matter how in vain it is. At this point in time though, I am far too cynical about what I have to give up (even if they're only principles COME AT ME BRO) for those positives.

Having your character files stored on Blizz's servers means (hopefully) that you will never join a game that is full of hacked characters. It means no item duping. It means not worrying about joining a game that is essentially a pirated clusterfuck. And those positives are only the tip of the cherry icecream that we can deduce from what we were drip fed this last few days.

/tinfoilhattime: and this decision has that Kotick smell all over it. /tinfoilhattime.

Agreed. The market will sort itself out, and if it doesn't, Blizz can step in and take care of things. They're already looking at 3rd parties for supporting the idea of people living off D3 item trading, so they've got their bases covered. And we still only know the smallest amount of detail of how this will work in reality. There are still going to be soul/character bound items in D3 (as far as I'm aware) which could well render much of this irrelevant or obsolete.

Not sure if you were being serious here, but no one, NO ONE gave Ubisoft a free pass for their always-connected DRM with Asscreed/Splinter Cell/etc like this...

+1 - even though I still don't agree with the selling of items on the AH, I agree with all your points.

Looking forward to the game, don't let this stop you from playing. All the successful MMO's (except WoW) do a store-like system, where you purchase items, gold, etc. so essentially this will be no different.

I'm loving all the changes I've seen.

I think a lot of people are hung up on "Ohh.. but it's all *different*!!!".

That's progress for you.

As for the way the handle skill progression now, I think it's brilliant.

I'll never understand why people think the games they play should be hard work?

If you want hard work, put down the game and go live LIFE.

That isn't to say games shouldn't be challenging.. But there's nothing challenging about pointless hoop jumping.

It's tedious.

Forcing players to head back to town every 15 minutes to sell loot?

Forcing players to go look up builds in advance to make sure they don't gimp their character?

Forcing players to horde skill points for 20 levels (making the game less fun) just so you can spend points on the "leet" skills later on?

Penalising experimentation, asking players to *know* in advance what kind of skills and play style they'll enjoy before even experiencing it?

Refusing respecs? Forcing people to start from scratch because they want to try a new play style for their class?

None of these things are "fun". They're tedious, pointless time sinks and a by-product of bad design.

Being willing to jump through more hoops than anyone else doesn't make one player better than another. It just means they have a higher tolerance for *boredom* than other players.

If I want boredom, I'll go do my taxes.

/rant

Edited by neowulf

With all the Diablo 3 updates and what is being said may i ask " Is Diablo 3 now a GAME or a Profession/Occupation?"

It seems a lot of borders are now being crossed to implement features which really never belong in the gaming world. To see a game of such stature that brought a lot of good playing memories to everyone turned into a money making machine is pure disgusting. World of Warcraft is a MMO and its understandable that it happens in that game. But to turn a Single Player Game such as this into a Merry go round for Farmers and Gold Sellers is against the grain of Blizzard's own policies.

Looking at this article and Blizzard's Diablo 3 forums i just wonder if this is some form of marketing system in place just to attract more players.

I'm loving all the changes I've seen.

/rant

Changing the way skills work (ie, no more skill points) is one of the best changes they've made by far. There's a great quote from Jay Wilson, I'll see if I can dig it up...

/fake edit, here it is:

Q: I’m sure there’s a lot that went into it, but could you just kind of give a cliff notes version of what brought about the decision to fully remove skill points? I know one of the great benefits of it is it’s very easy to interchange and you’re not dedicated to one set path. And obviously with that, I guess there’s no more skill reset with no skill points?

A: When we put the game out into internal alpha, we had the system that we’ve shown previously at Blizzcon which is where you had 7 slots, you put skills in those slots and assigned skill points (mumble mumble). What we found was, the UI was essentially telling people “you should have 7 skills.” But the skill point system says to players, “if you really want to be optimum, you should dump everything into 1 skill or 2 skills.” We tried to fight that a little by having escalating caps on skills, but it didn’t really work. So the two things were fighting with one another and the result of what we were getting was not what we wanted, which was more skills than people generally had in D2. Our combat system is really based around having somewhere between 4-6 skills.

The other side of it was, by popular demand, we put in respec. What we saw happening was players would get their starter attack skill and they’d put points into it, which was great because they didn’t do that in D2. Once they figured out the system, they said, “ooh, I shouldn’t put any points in these skills,” which is terrible. But what happened was that they’d level up and get to that next skill they want - they’d have Magic Missiles and they’d get to Arcane Orb and decide “I don’t want Magic Missiles anymore, I want Arcane Orb.” So they’d respec that early skill, take 5-6 points out of it, and mass dump them into Arcane Orb. And one, that’s a balancing nightmare, but more importantly, it felt really bad. It felt even moreso like the character was trivialized, because these points could be just massively pulled from one place to the other.

So those things kind of warred against one another, so we thought, “what happens if we just take skill points out and just say, choose your skills, that’s what’s most important.” And that actually worked really well. What it revealed was kind of a further truth about how people play Diablo, and I kind of referenced it earlier, it’s not a game like WoW where you start with Fireball at level 1 and at level 85, you’re still using it. It’s possible to do that, to take a starter skill and make it viable end-game, especially with runes, but it’s not the instinct of what players do. Players want to level up to get to more powerful skills because they have that very finite window of skills, they want to respec and get into that big skill. A game like Borderlands actually has a great model, because their attacks are tied into items and you’re used to items cycling out all the time, so it feels really natural. But for Diablo, it felt really unnatural to be doing the activity that you wanted to do the most(??). So we altered the skill system to provide that to players: “you know what, you actually can switch out skills as much as you want. That’s the way you naturally want to play, so we’re going to let you do that.”

However, a system still needs restrictions to make it compelling. The restrictions we put in was to cap that total number of skills, both as you level up, but also we even pulled the cap down a bit to six skills because 7 actually felt like people could kind of get everything they wanted, but at 6, they start having to make really hard choices about what to get. It seems like just a one skill difference, but it actually made a really big impact. So you combine that with having to choose from one of several different rune effects per skill and you start getting a lot of diversity in builds. And building those characters becomes really compelling, and that’s what we were going for. A system that has a really compelling build process to it.

I realize this is not the cliff notes. The last thing I would throw out about this, and this is something that we always kind of had a pipe dream about that I think this last revision of the system actually might be the first skill system that we’ve ever done where the player’s first instinct is not going to be to go to a website and check out what their build is, and that’s wonderful. That’s what we want. We want players to discover within the playspace, make choices based on information, not just based on “well, this sounds good, I hope it works, but I never got a chance to try it out.” So that’s one of the advantages of the system.

Less theory crafting and more playing. D2 only has a handful of really usable optimum min/maxed builds, and it looks like Blizz has really tried to address that. Gets me all excited seeing Borderlands mentioned too :D

Edited by elfinke

Leveling multiple characters or doing Diablo/Mephisto/Bhaal runs for days on end for the tiny chance at one certain piece of loot, they're both seen as tedious grinding. One at least gets you to play through other content (at the intended level and challenge) that Blizzard has spent years creating. The instant respecing for wowkiddies just allows them to keep the poor design of fixed monster immunities that crippled most of d2's builds and then turn around and expect people to respec every time a zone gives your build trouble. Fire immune mobs? You're build is screwed. Frost Immune mobs? You're build is screwed. Lightning enchanted, multiple hit mobs with conviction aura? Alt-f4, alt-f4, alt-f4!!!

Their talk of Borderlands items based around skills is both nice and a little worrying. Hopefully they've learned their lesson with oskilling items and how it can destroy content (and economies).

Leveling multiple characters or doing Diablo/Mephisto/Bhaal runs for days on end for the tiny chance at one certain piece of loot, they're both seen as tedious grinding. One at least gets you to play through other content (at the intended level and challenge) that Blizzard has spent years creating. The instant respecing for wowkiddies just allows them to keep the poor design of fixed monster immunities that crippled most of d2's builds and then turn around and expect people to respec every time a zone gives your build trouble. Fire immune mobs? You're build is screwed. Frost Immune mobs? You're build is screwed. Lightning enchanted, multiple hit mobs with conviction aura? Alt-f4, alt-f4, alt-f4!!!

Their talk of Borderlands items based around skills is both nice and a little worrying. Hopefully they've learned their lesson with oskilling items and how it can destroy content (and economies).

How does the way one player chooses to play the game have any impact on another player what so ever?

If people want to play through the content again to experience it, then they can.

If they prefer to continue working on their primary character, (yes.. grinding for loot), then they can.

What Blizzard is saying is "If you don't *want* to start again, just because you want to try out a few new skills, or a different play style.. then you don't *have* too"

As for "poorly designed" encounters, how is asking people to switch up their play style to overcome specific challenges bad game play design?

We already do it all the time in other games.

If you're playing an FPS, you swap weapon load outs. If you're playing an RTS, you change your unit composition.

Why is it such a stretch to allow players to swap their skill sets out, to better combat a new threat?

I suspect I'll just end up having to agree to disagree. I just don't get a lot of the QQ going on about this stuff.

I agree with Neowulf. There's nothing fun about alot of the things from the past. The changes allow you to spend more time in game having fun, not pointlessly wasting time. Why anyone would want that is both masochistic and beyond my comprehension.

That's fine, but what about the principle of what is going on? The forest, instead of the trees? The very idea that you cannot play a game that you have paid $50-$100 for unless and until Blizzard lets you? In essence, that you do not own the game you have paid for (but lets not get dragged into the 'merits' of ownership of CD Keys and licences etc)? Remember recently when EA banned a member from their forums for complaining, and he was then locked out of his digital game account and couldn't play Bioshock etc? What happens if an over zealous blue at Blizzard doesn't like you moaning about a balance change to your favourite character, and you get locked out? DDoS attack on Blizz servers?

/Devil's Advocate

You are being overly melodramatic.

Paraphrasing you, you are saying you dont want to pay to rent the game. That is, you can only play as long as Blizz lets you. You (I'm putting words in your mouth here, so please correct me if I'm wrong) want to pay for the game and have it as yours to play whenever you like, not reliant on Blizz.

Well, things are changing and maybe have changed for good. In the past, you paid your monies, got your game, played it whenever you like, and kept it. However, how long did you really play the game for? How long did you keep the game before throwing it away? I played some awesome games 20 years ago, but I no longer play them, dont have any wish to play them, nor do I keep the old discs/boxes around to add to my already overextended clutter. Not to mention they wouldnt run on my systems these days. In fact, I probably only played them over the space of a year or two. The same goes for games I played ten years ago. Even games from the last few years fall into the same pattern. I have my original Crysis box sitting here next to me taking up space. I'm sorely tempted to throw it away. I dont play it anymore; havent played it for a few years; and know I wont ever play it again.

So. Why not use the model Blizz is offering with D3? Why not pay $50-100, be able to access it whenever I want, and not have to worry about throwing away old boxes? Whenever I want...well, this is the important factor between the two models. Owning it (and assuming no drm) means you can play whenever you like not dependent upon any external support. Blizz model means their server needs to be up and running all the time for you to play whenever you like. With a company like Blizz I'm confident they'd support the game for a long life, longer than almost anyone will want to play for. Let's say they keep the servers running for 20 years, dont you think that will be long enough for just about anyone? Hell, even 10 years will be about enough for the vast majority of people. Of course, the client also needs internet access, but looking at that objectively it's not Blizz's responsibility to provide you with that. If you cant guarantee internet access then you shouldnt buy the game. It means you need to accept that mobile gaming might not be possible. However, the internet is pretty ubiquitous these days and only getting more so. In a few years, maybe even mobile plans will be as accessible as today's wired connections are.

/Devil's Advocate

Personally I'd like to have offline mode, as you and others have pointed out. I dont mind the 'rent' model though, because really it's not much different from what I do already, and Blizz is a company I can trust. Whereas another smaller company I'd be much more reluctant to support with such a model. I remember a year or two back some company pulling the plug on a game that had only seen one year. Sports game, I think it was. That imho is reprehensible behaviour, and why people probably get annoyed with the 'rent' model.