Sign in to follow this  
jdog

Building a new rig (finally)

ive been nagging the boss (my dad) for a new rig for quite some time (march,i think) and been going back and forth between yes and no and starting a list and get everything sorted and then waiting....back and forth,back and forth.... untill now my current system is playing up and starting to get slow

(a c2d E6550@2.52GHZ,4GB,9600GT,320GB HDD)

and now he said i can finally do it (and that i can upgrade bits every 3 months or so if need be) so thats good

he said i have a budget of around $1500-$1700(MAX) (im paying, he just wanted to make sure i dont get ripped off)

so this is what i came up with (All from umart milton):

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M $59.00

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables $222.00

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 4PCIE RAID 2GLan 3FW ATX $388.00

Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 2000Mhz DDR3 CL9 Intel XMP $229.00

CoolerMaster RC-692-KWN2 Advanced Bay Tower Gaming Case $129.00 (not sure if this the CM90 2 Advanced w/ window version reviewed by atomic)

Gigabyte HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP $292.00

total:$1648.00

under budget and grunty with good stuff (also upgradable),so should i go ahead and get it or should i change something?

i will be overclocking (i will get a aftermaket hsf later)

Edited by jdog

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M $59.00 - Upgrade to 2TB (Samsung EcoGreen $120, Seagate $130, WD $130 etc)

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables $222.00 - Only required if you plan to Crossfire, otherwise get the Corsair 650 instead ($80 dollars cheaper)

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 LGA1366 X58 6DDR3 4PCIE RAID 2GLan 3FW ATX $388.00

Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 2000Mhz DDR3 CL9 Intel XMP $229.00 (my preference is typically with Corsair Ram - but each to their own)

CoolerMaster RC-692-KWN2 Advanced Bay Tower Gaming Case $129.00 (not sure if this the CM90 2 Advanced w/ window version reviewed by atomic)

Gigabyte HD6870 1G GDDR5 PCIE HDMI DP $292.00

Alternatively, if you retain your current HDD, and get the Corsair 650 rather than the 850, you're getting pretty close to a OCZ 60GB SSD ($155) - upgrade latter to a second one for RAID0 and increased space/performance.

Overall looks really good, the alternative being an AMD based system which would see you easily get the SSD.

becuase i can upgrade ill get a SSD later on and yes i will add a 2nd 6870 for crossfire x (as it has good performance)

and to change the HDD to a WD i would prefer that only im not sure of the good ones that umart has....

im going to add my current HDD as well (keep everything on it but remove the programs and OS make it as a back up storage drive)

also the only reason i choose kingston was becuase its blue (i want some colour in my build) and also it works well with the mobo

not bad...

but you can do a heap better for the same price

-1090T X6

-Asus M4A87TD-USB3

-Sapphire HD 5970

-Antec neo eco 620w PSU

-Gskill phoenix pro 100gb SSD

-Samsung F3 1tb storage

-2x2gb kingston ddr3 1333

-CoolerMaster RC430 Elite Black No PSU

$1702 at umart milton

note an i7 870 and cheap p55 board will work out about the same.

Edited by nesquick

nice sugguestion nesquick,but as i need grunt as im doing 3d modelling/annimation (for the game dev course im doing) and also playing games/music etc....

as ive never used a AMD system before so im kinda thought it would be easier to stick with intel (ive always used intel so i though ill stick with them) maybe for a LAN rig though.....

changing the HDD to WD 1TB the total goes up to $1692 ($6 form budget)

getting a WD 2TB goes over budget by $88 bucks...so no go..but hteres always later..

but going with Seagate (have they fixed the issues yet?) get it to $1655 (in budget and really good so i think ill settle with that)

Edited by jdog

i like your first build best but id swap the psu to seasonic x 650 it will be fine with two 6870 in cf they only use ~243-292w http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

or you can save $50 and get the hx650

id drop back the mb to something cheaper

you can save some cash on the ram to 1600mhz 777 6g $170 which is much the same performance as the 2000mhz ram

nice sugguestion nesquick,but as i need grunt as im doing 3d modelling/annimation (for the game dev course im doing) and also playing games/music etc....

as ive never used a AMD system before so im kinda thought it would be easier to stick with intel (ive always used intel so i though ill stick with them) maybe for a LAN rig though.....

changing the HDD to WD 1TB the total goes up to $1692 ($6 form budget)

getting a WD 2TB goes over budget by $88 bucks...so no go..but hteres always later..

but going with Seagate (have they fixed the issues yet?) get it to $1655 (in budget and really good so i think ill settle with that)

you won't notice any difference between an 1090T and i7 950 IMO also my build has a 100gb SSD and HD5970, your sacrificing a lot of power in some areas to get a marginal gain in the CPU.

nesquicks build is nice.

that samsung spinpoint drive is fine, they're so cheap now its not about space anymore, you can always throw in another one later on down the track.

I'd also be looking at getting an aftermarket HSF now, rather than later, as depending on the case, a rebuild may be in order to install the fucking thing. Plus summer is looming and the i7s run fairly hot, especially on stock coolers.

Edited by nukejockey

i like your first build best but id swap the psu to seasonic x 650 it will be fine with two 6870 in cf they only use ~243-292w http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

or you can save $50 and get the hx650

id drop back the mb to something cheaper

you can save some cash on the ram to 1600mhz 777 6g $170 which is much the same performance as the 2000mhz ram

keep in mind that i will be upgrading this from time to time so im tossing up between getting the ud3r now and then getting the ud7 later (give the ud3r to my bro or something) also ill keep the psu becuase i never know if i may change the graphics card/s down the track (i was looking at a GTX 480 later on and a HAF X case.)

other then that i may drop the ram down to 1600mhz kingston stuff...and keep everything else..

if i keep everything the same but drop the ram to 1600mhz stuff and the mb to the ud3r (the HDD is WD 1TB) it comes to $1507!!! temping...but i really like the ud7...

Edited by jdog

I think you should really consider an AMD based system, and nesquick has outlined a real powerhouse for not alot of cash. The reviews I've read have placed AMD chips very well against mid range Intel chips. The 5970 will power through just about anything.

not bad...

but you can do a heap better for the same price

-1090T X6

-Asus M4A87TD-USB3

-Sapphire HD 5970

-Antec neo eco 620w PSU

-Gskill phoenix pro 100gb SSD

-Samsung F3 1tb storage

-2x2gb kingston ddr3 1333

-CoolerMaster RC430 Elite Black No PSU

$1702 at umart milton

note an i7 870 and cheap p55 board will work out about the same.

As always I'm supporting moving to 2TB HDD's as a minimum, the only drives less than 2TB should be SSD's on any system.

Not sure if you've done this already, but I would map out an upgrade path over the next 6 months (so two upgrades by your calender). This will help you understand where you want to get to, and how to get there in achievable upgrades. For example more RAM is probably something you'll want considering the course/work you're doing.

You're doing it wrong dude. Seriously, if you're planning on using that case and the gpu as stop gap items, its dumb.

You're better off getting the expensive parts now, instead of later.

For example, if you want high airflow, but can't afford the HAF 932/X, get the HAF 922, still a good case and with the addition of a few extra fans it will cool a GTX480 easily.

Secondly, you can save a fair bit of money if you get the X58A-UD3R and sacrifice fuck all in terms of performance/features you will use.

Let me try.

Posted Image

If you're really planning on upgrading to things later, you're better upgrading the parts that aren't so damn expensive.

Get the GPU to begin with. Get the Case to begin with. They're both expensive. Upgrade the PSU later if you decide you want to get another GTX480 (I'm assuming thats why you're going X58)

But don't do something stupid like getting a semi cheap GPU to replace it with a more expensive one later on. Also, you don't need 2000mhz ram.

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about modular if you're going the HAF X, it hides all the cables anyway.

Also, if you're paying, I'd show this thread to your old man and tell him to let you spend just a little bit extra to get an aftermarket HSF and a slightly beefier PSU (I like the HX850, its quiet and looks cool) would cost you maybe $1900 in total, but would be worth it and you'd find that you wouldn't be spending another $500 a few months down the track.

Edited by nukejockey

You're doing it wrong dude. Seriously, if you're planning on using that case and the gpu as stop gap items, its dumb.

You're better off getting the expensive parts now, instead of later.

For example, if you want high airflow, but can't afford the HAF 932/X, get the HAF 922, still a good case and with the addition of a few extra fans it will cool a GTX480 easily.

Secondly, you can save a fair bit of money if you get the X58A-UD3R and sacrifice fuck all in terms of performance/features you will use.

Let me try.

Posted Image

If you're really planning on upgrading to things later, you're better upgrading the parts that aren't so damn expensive.

Get the GPU to begin with. Get the Case to begin with. They're both expensive. Upgrade the PSU later if you decide you want to get another GTX480 (I'm assuming thats why you're going X58)

But don't do something stupid like getting a semi cheap GPU to replace it with a more expensive one later on. Also, you don't need 2000mhz ram.

Also, I wouldn't worry so much about modular if you're going the HAF X, it hides all the cables anyway.

thats true,if i change the case to a HAF X and mb to the ud3r and ram to 1600mhz stuff and the GTX 480 i can get it for $1806

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D 6GB (3x 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Triple Kit $188.00 $17.09 $188.00

Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply 140mm fan $178.00 $16.18 $178.00

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00 $29.91 $329.00

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00 $22.18 $244.00

Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX) $103.00 $9.36 $103.00

Gigabyte GTX 480 1536MB 2DVI $525.00 $47.73 $525.00

CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $239.00 $21.73 $239.00

Total $164.18 $1806.00

better?

Agree with the comments made, don't buy stuff you know you'll replace already.

My approach would be a little different, I would retain your current case and GPU - reason being is that you can't afford the case you want anyway (and you'll only need a new case for improved airflow for a GPU), and prices for GPU's are only going to get better.

This would be my build, which takes into account the sort of course/work you're doing, and will give you some very nice real performance increases:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - six cores of love all for only $209

MSI 890FXA-GD70 - top rated Mobo with support for OCing and Crossfire, $233

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD, $299

Corsair HX750, enough for all your needs now and in the future, $195 - bargain with an excellent warranty

Corsair Dominator GT CMT4GX3M2A2000C8, top rated by Atomic, get two sets for 8GB of Ram, $330 ($165 each set)

In a few months, update your case and GPU. With a budget of around $750 you'll be able to get a Corsair 800D, and a higher end GPU.

i dont know why people like the x6 so much for gaming there is a number of games where its nowhere near as fast as a overclocked i7 950 and the price difference is only $100

granted the majority of games dont need much cpu power but there is a fair number i like that do

i dont know why people like the x6 so much for gaming there is a number of games where its nowhere near as fast as a overclocked i7 950 and the price difference is only $100

granted the majority of games dont need much cpu power but there is a fair number i like that do

For myself its about conforming to the above stated budget, and getting a balanced PC - with the ability to be able to include a nice GPU and SSD. Both of which (the SSD in particular) in my view deliver some real world performance over and above a top end Intel CPU - again this is for general applications.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread with another Intel vs AMD.

Best wishes for the build jdog, looking forward to seeing some pics.

Edited by psyched

Its fair enough too, the problem with AMD now is that there are fuck all SLI boards (1 older one from memory?) and jdog wants a GTX480 and I think I remember him saying in another thread he will eventually add 2.

@ nukey, yeah i will add another one later on

so i think ill go with this:

HDD:Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX) $103.00

CPU:Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

PSU:Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables $222.00

Motherboard:GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00

RAM:Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 $185.00

CASE:CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $239.00

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 480 1536MB 2DVI $525.00 $47.73 $525.00

DVDRW:LiteON IHAS324 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail $25

total:

$1872 + cooler = $1980

becuase im currently running a 17" 1280x1024 screen at the moment i think i may drop the GPU down to a GTX 460 (what are good brands?) and use some of the money to upgrade the mobo to the ud7...

then later on ill upgrade to a Dell U2711 (when its on sale) and then upgrade my gpu to a GTX 480 (or 2) or whatever nvidia has out (gtx 580?)

if i do that i can upgrade to the ud7 for $1746 + Noctula NH14 cooler (as per nukey suggestion) $108 = $1854

better idea?

if i had gone with the ud7 +build +cooler it would break the bank (maybe) at $2124.....

once the build is final (on here) ill show the boss and see what he thinks...then go ahead and start it (will do a build log)

Edited by jdog

Id say a UD3R plus the GTX 480 would be a more worth while investment than a UD7 and the GTX460. I dont know more than the basics about LGA1366 but i dont see how the UD7 and the 460 would be better than the UD3R and the 480. And since you are looking to get the GTX 480 anyway id go with the build youve suggested above. If you do decide to go with the 460 anybrand would be good but id get the MSI model with the Cyclone cooler. Ive read it OCs like a beast.

Id say a UD3R plus the GTX 480 would be a more worth while investment than a UD7 and the GTX460. I dont know more than the basics about LGA1366 but i dont see how the UD7 and the 460 would be better than the UD3R and the 480. And since you are looking to get the GTX 480 anyway id go with the build youve suggested above. If you do decide to go with the 460 anybrand would be good but id get the MSI model with the Cyclone cooler. Ive read it OCs like a beast.

yeah that would be better from a non monitor POV ,but becuase ive got such a small screen (17") if i went with the GTX 480 i would get something like 200FPS in games.....but if i go with the UD7 and get a gtx 460 it would more suited to that res and plus i can just pass the 460 onto my bro....and get a 480 when there cheaper (and possibly even get 2!)

Edited by jdog

If you can answer this question I'll leave you be.

What do you want on the UD7 that the UD3R doesn't have?

Seriously, I'm not understanding you on here. Why is it that you want such pointless expensive things?

Why do you want a 27" Dell monitor? I know they're good, but you could just as easily upgrade to a 21-24" in a few months time and only have to spend $200 as opposed to $700+

Seriously dude, are you thinking with your head? Because it doesn't seem like it, seems like you are thinking with your wallet. Do not buy a stop gap gpu, buy what you want now. Seriously.

ud3r and 480 nuke's right its the sensible option.

build the rig you want now not later it takes the fun out of it.

ud7 what does it do that the ud3r doesnt ?

yeah sticking with the ud3r is the better opition then the ud7 as it is just a waste of money,it doesnt have anything worthwhile (maybe 1 extra lan port and slightly better cooling,but thats it). so yeah your right AMD AKIMBO, about how building a rig later on rather then in one go is rather silly.

so ill do this build ( Final,pending Approval):

HDD:Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX) $103.00

CPU:Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler $108.00

PSU:Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables $222.00

Motherboard:GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00

RAM:Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 $185.00

CASE:CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $239.00

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 480 1536MB 2DVI $525.00

DVDRW:LiteON IHAS324 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail $25

Total: $1980

also the reason i was thinking of the 27" dell monitor is becuase the stuff im doing (3d modelling/annimation and photoshop work) a bigger monitor would be a good opition (i know it cost a fair few $$,but it will last me a while) and also becuase of the panel type it will be better colours etc so it will help me with my work...but thats something to save up for... i could just get on of those 23" ones....

Edited by jdog

Real quick question, why are you paying a premium for a SATA3 HDD, when you've got a SATAII mobo - and also an HDD doesn't hit the SATAII ceiling anyway? And yes its' only $30 difference, just seems odd thats all.

Also with screens, much cheaper to just buy a couple of the 23" rather than one 27".

The X58A is a Sata3 motherboard.

Although I do agree, just get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 drive, they're nearly half the price and just as quick.