Sign in to follow this  
jdog

Building a new rig (finally)

The X58A is a Sata3 motherboard.

Although I do agree, just get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 drive, they're nearly half the price and just as quick.

Cheers nukejocky, hadn't read the specifications quite closely enough.

thanks for the opitions nessie,but ive pretty much locked in (still pending aproval) the rig im my previous post.Also the reason i chose the WD sata 3 drive is becuase ive never used samsung before so i know there cheap and good performance. But if i switched to a samsung one i would only save like $30 so its not worth it (yes sata 3 but its future proof, kinda).Becuase ive used WD before ill stick with them,i could go with a seagate one but ive heard they have had issues...

as for screens i look into a good 23-24" IPS panel one....

Edited by jdog

thanks for the opitions nessie,but ive pretty much locked in (still pending aproval) the rig im my previous post.Also the reason i chose the WD sata 3 drive is becuase ive never used samsung before so i know there cheap and good performance. But if i switched to a samsung one i would only save like $30 so its not worth it (yes sata 3 but its future proof, kinda).Becuase ive used WD before ill stick with them,i could go with a seagate one but ive heard they have had issues...

as for screens i look into a good 23-24" IPS panal one....

Then just get a WD 1TB Green HDD for $70. Dude it's not future proofing, that HDD will never hit the SATAII ceiling let alone get anywhere near SATAIII. As I was informed above the board is SATAIII which is great - for SSD's.

Then just get a WD 1TB Green HDD for $70. Dude it's not future proofing, that HDD will never hit the SATAII ceiling let alone get anywhere near SATAIII. As I was informed above the board is SATAIII which is great - for SSD's.

arnt the greens the slow ones? or that the blue's? ill just look into the sata 2 black then....

and save up for a SSD later....

Edited by jdog

arnt the greens the slow ones? ill just look into the sata 2 black then....

and save up for a SSD later....

It doesn't make any difference, the fastest HDD is still miles behind an SSD for speed of accessing information. But yes the Green reportedly have a spin speed of 5400rpm, however this is countered by their high density platters - when compared to a faster lower capacity drive.

End of the day it's your money and your rig, and you need to be happy with it.

So I wont labour a point for $30, just get some pics up of your build yeah :)

greens are 5400 drives why would you reccomend one ?

samsung are good drives quiet and cool but its your choice.

stick with the rig you chose.

ill stick with the build but change the HDD to the Samsung 1TB.....and maybe think of possibly (if i can) fitting in a 60GB OCZ SSD...but then it would be over budget....$1907 (with samsung 1TB and 60GB SSD)

ill stick with the build but change the HDD to the Samsung 1TB.....and maybe think of possibly (if i can) fitting in a 60GB OCZ SSD...but then it would be over budget....$1907 (with samsung 1TB and 60GB SSD)

this comes back to what I said before, you are sacrificing alot in several areas to get a marginal at best gain in one area.

all the information you need to make the right choices has been presented here over 2 pages, at the end of the day though its your dads money and he has to "approve" whatever you buy.

greens are 5400 drives why would you reccomend one ?

samsung are good drives quiet and cool but its your choice.

stick with the rig you chose.

Cheaper to run, cooler, and most importantly I own two of 2TB capacity drives :)

Point I'm trying to make is there is piss all difference between a 5400 HDD and a 7200 HDD in comparison with a SSD. But then I purchase my Green drives with the intention of using them for storage, the kind of data I store on them would never be put on a SSD, I just don't need fast access to it.

they would make great storage drives (ill look into them later,when i need more space) but im going to be using the 1tb hdd as my main (only) harddrive for running windows (ill have windows 7 installed on it) and also my apps etc...and using it as temp storage before i move files onto my 1.5TB external drive... that is if i DONT get a SSD with this build (but i will add one later on)

that is true nessie,i will show him this thread and get his opition on it..

overall everything is pretty much set...

Edited by jdog

stick with the wd 1tb sata3 im fairly sure the older sata 2 wd black drives are 333g platters which are slower than the newer drives with the two 500g platters

the wd black has a 5 year warranty vs the 3 year on the samsung f3 and slightly quicker seek times but otherwise there much the same

5400rpm drives are fine for storing movies\photos on but they suck as a os or games drive and they dont make ssd big enough or cheap enough to fit more than a few games so you still need a good 7200rpm drive

stick with the wd 1tb sata3 im fairly sure the older sata 2 wd black drives are 333g platters which are slower than the newer drives with the two 500g platters

the wd black has a 5 year warranty vs the 3 year on the samsung f3 and slightly quicker seek times but otherwise there much the same

5400rpm drives are fine for storing movies\photos on but they suck as a os or games drive and they dont make ssd big enough or cheap enough to fit more than a few games so you still need a good 7200rpm drive

so stick with the WD 1TB SATA 3 one then? (the 5 year warranty is very nice)

then these are final specs (just waiting for approval)

HDD:Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX) $103.00

CPU:Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler $108.00

PSU:Corsair HX-850 ATX Power Supply w 140mm Modular Cables $222.00

Motherboard:GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00

RAM:Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 CL9 $185.00

CASE:CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $239.00

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 480 1536MB 2DVI $525.00

DVDRW:LiteON IHAS324 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail $25

Total: $1980

this good dasa?

if so ill would ask for other peoples feedback on here (nuke,tunsky,etc and the mighty hawkeye!)

and if everyone says its good then ill show the boss and this underway!!

Edited by jdog

pc is great but you have blown your budget by a bit

cheaper in the long run than changing parts later though

I can maybe get you a cheaper GTX480 and I7 chip from ocau trade section

if you plan on GTX480 SLI I'd want a bigger PSU though

something like this would be more suitable

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=7008

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15820

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15598

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=6887

that is true,say if i removed the cpu cooler or lowed the gpu to save money (i wont do that) i would have to buy it later and then redo my entire build!!

now do show the boss and get approval to start it.....

that is a smart move,which one would be the best opition? also what would be the 480 and the i7 chip be? (and would they of been OC'd?)

but this is the one i will get when i get a 2nd GTX 480 for SLI down the track:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15244

that is really good.... but it cost $$$ but i guess its something to get when the time comes...

Edited by jdog

I would suggest putting off the CPU cooler, and just using the stock one (which is free), and then upgrade in a couple of months. If your budget was originally $1,500, and now you're heading pretty close to 2K, you'll need to come back from that 2K figure.

ill drop the CPU cooler now and get one later (in a month or two)

thus saving money...

that is true,say if i removed the cpu cooler or lowed the gpu to save money (i wont do that) i would have to buy it later and then redo my entire build!!

now do show the boss and get approval to start it.....

that is a smart move,which one would be the best opition? also what would be the 480 and the i7 chip be? (and would they of been OC'd?)

but this is the one i will get when i get a 2nd GTX 480 for SLI down the track:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15244

that is really good.... but it cost $$$ but i guess its something to get when the time comes...

I know this has been suggested, but please DON'T BUY SHIT THAT YOU KNOW ALREADY YOU'RE GOING TO REPLACE - thats dumbass. You really need to look through, and compromise on some aspects of your build, and adhere to the budget thats been set. If having a PSU for SLI is a priority, then you'll need to either get something else lower spec, or simply put off getting it. This is what budgets are about - I'm sure if you had a 5K budget you would still want to spend 6K - show you dad you can make good choices, and respect the value of money.

that is true and no,SLI is not a top prioity at this current moment in time, so ill cut down on the CPU cooler (remove it) and cut down the GPU to a 460 instead...all to save money and fit back UNDER budget!

Edited by jdog

Sorry if I was a bit harsh there jdog. I've been in the same boat, and made some dumb decisions which cost me alot of money.

Sorry if I was a bit harsh there jdog. I've been in the same boat, and made some dumb decisions which cost me alot of money.

yeah,thats ok man,dont fet. i understand where your coming from, but hey building/rebuilding a rig isnt as bad as people say it is becuase i have the opition of upgrading every few months so ill have to do it anyway,and plus i can get all the stuff i want but just at a latter time frame and when my needs require it.(and pass on the parts i upgraded from to other family members)

Edited by jdog

yeah,thats ok man,dont fet. i understand where your coming from, but hey building/rebuilding a rig isnt as bad as people say it is becuase i have the opition of upgrading every few months so ill have to do it anyway,and plus i can get all the stuff i want but just at a latter time frame and when my needs require it.(and pass on the parts i upgraded from to other family members)

I think you need to get you're dads definition of upgrading every few months, I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean replace bits that you've used for only a few months. I think he will mean add bits that you haven't been able to get yet (i.e. more RAM, HDD/SDD, etc).