Sign in to follow this  
jdog

Building a new rig (finally)

Sorry if I was a bit harsh there jdog. I've been in the same boat, and made some dumb decisions which cost me alot of money.

yeah,thats ok man,dont fet. i understand where your coming from, but hey building/rebuilding a rig isnt as bad as people say it is becuase i have the opition of upgrading every few months so ill have to do it anyway,and plus i can get all the stuff i want but just at a latter time frame and when my needs require it.(and pass on the parts i upgraded from to other family members)

I think you need to get you're dads definition of upgrading every few months, I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean replace bits that you've used for only a few months. I think he will mean add bits that you haven't been able to get yet (i.e. more RAM, HDD/SDD, etc).

pretty much (and if i need it) a new graphics card etc that though of stuff,thats why im trying to get the building blocks (even though it is over budget) first and then i dont have to upgrade so ofen becuase i forgot something...

Edited by jdog

The HX850 will handle 2 GTX480s fine. Just explain to your dad that its better to go $200 over budget now than spend the extra money later because You will be spending more in the long run ie. GTX460 for $280 and then a GTX480 later for $500, thats $780 dollars, when you could just be spending $500 now.

Edited by nukejockey

very good advice nukey,i knew i can trust you judgement!

i will explain that to my dad.

funny fact: the build im doing is pretty much a air cooled version of your rig!! (i may/may not of used your epic rig as inspiration)

The HX850 will handle 2 GTX480s fine. Just explain to your dad that its better to go $200 over budget now than spend the extra money later because You will be spending more in the long run ie. GTX460 for $280 and then a GTX480 later for $500, thats $780 dollars, when you could just be spending $500 now.

it will run them but it will be at 80-90% of the max output when he overclocks his i7 950 and adds a second GTX480 I'd rather get a 1.2kw PSU for a system like that and keep its loading around 60% of the max output

it will run them but it will be at 80-90% of the max output when he overclocks his i7 950 and adds a second GTX480 I'd rather get a 1.2kw PSU for a system like that and keep its loading around 60% of the max output

so it would be better to get a 1.2kw PSU (like the AX1200w) when i get the 2nd GTX 480? that way i can be safe? and not have to worry about stressing (a possibly blowing up) my PSU?

Edited by jdog

It should be fine though, a 1.2kw psu is gonna blow his budget by even more.

gtx480 sli draw ~600w max during fur in games it would mostly be well under 500w + cpu and such

if you intend to improve the cooling on the gtx480 so you can up the v and overclock them to ~900mhz with the i7 950@4.4ghz 1.45v then yes you would be nearing the limits of the 850w and id suggest a bigger psu

if he was looking at the corsair ax 850 i wouldnt be surprised if its fan didnt even start spinning till ~500w load maybe you can squeeze the $37 extra into your budget since your dropping the hsf

TheFrunj will be running his rig on a 750w psu

i ran two 4870x2 on a 750w psu although not for long...

i will test how much my pc is using now with the gpu stock and overclocked to 900mhz

1.2kw would be enough for three gtx480 and 1.5kw for 4 gtx480

Edited by Dasa

so becuase im dropping the HSF (for now) i should get the AX850? and upgrade to the AX1200W when i get the 2nd GTX 480 (and ill be overclocking the cpu so going with such a powerful psu wont be such a bad idea)

Edited by jdog

nope keep ax 850 with second gpu get a 1200w if u want a third :\

25w off

140w idle

370w max fur undervolted 1.013v stock clocks

390w max fur stock 1.063v

480w max fur 1.125v 900mhz

crysis warhead

1.125v 900mhz averaged 360-380w peaked at 390w

with rig in tag

keep in mind this is at the wall after the poor efficiency from the tx750

anyway im back to work fixing stuff will run more tests later

Edited by Dasa

interesting...

but ill stick with two becuase i want to add a sound card and a TV tuner later....

so ill see how much of price diffrence the ax850 from the hx850....

its about $25 more..but is it worth it? im not sure...

Edited by jdog

gtx480 sli draw ~600w max during fur in games it would mostly be well under 500w + cpu and such

if you intend to improve the cooling on the gtx480 so you can up the v and overclock them to ~900mhz with the i7 950@4.4ghz 1.45v then yes you would be nearing the limits of the 850w and id suggest a bigger psu

if he was looking at the corsair ax 850 i wouldnt be surprised if its fan didnt even start spinning till ~500w load maybe you can squeeze the $37 extra into your budget since your dropping the hsf

i will test how much my pc is using now with the gpu stock and overclocked to 900mhz

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-...th-the-wait-/19

661w on crysis

851w on furmark

thats with their i7 only at 3.3ghz if he overclocks his 950 to ~4.2ghz expect that figure to go up around another 120w

I would rather have the room to move on something like this.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/nvidia-...th-the-wait-/19

661w on crysis

851w on furmark

thats with their i7 only at 3.3ghz if he overclocks his 950 to ~4.2ghz expect that figure to go up around another 120w

I would rather have the room to move on something like this.

damm,that high! so i think ill wait before getting a 2nd one....and then get a 1200w PSU......to be safe...

i now understand why people say get a HAF X if your going 480 SLI...otherwise my case would melt....

Edited by jdog

keep in mind that anandtech review is what the psu is drawing at the wall on ~120v so you can lower those numbers by about 18% depending on how efficient that 1200w psu is

and here is what a single gtx480 used on my rig at the wall stock with the cpu at 4ghz 2560x1440 8xqaa

stock 1.063v averaged 330-345w peaked at 350w

so my pc with a water pump fans 2 hdd overclocked dual core cpu and a single gtx480 is drawing under 300w from the psu in crysis

im not saying a 1kw psu is a bad idea for a overclocked gtx480 sli pc i just think its over the top and unnecessary

so what would you recommend? (im not going to be using water cooling)

also the psu im looking at (when i get the 2nd 480) is Corsair AX 1200w

and dasa, is a GTX 480 (or 2) needed to play games well on the u2711? (im saving up for one and going to get it when its on sale)

Edited by jdog

id recommend a 550-650w psu for a single gtx480 and a 850-950w psu for two

a single gtx480 struggles to maintain 30fps in a number of games at 2560x1440

Edited by Dasa

so ill go with 2 then (after i have saved up and got the u2711)

so the 850w psu is a good idea to stick with? (even if i overclock the cpu only?)

Edited by jdog

Looks like you're going way over budget. You could go with an AMD solution for CPU and graphics and save quite a lot. Keep in mind the new 6000 series scale much better in crossfire. But here's a secret. Lucid Hydra increases it's performance even more.

Also the difference between 1090T and the 17 950 for most tasks... even the multimedia, rendering and stuff is only a few seconds, or points depending on how tests are scored.

So I'd go with the:

X6 1090T - $309

MSI 870A Fuzion - $179

PowerColour 6870 - $309

Sandforce SSD - price one

Then the rest is up to you, but don't go over the top fancy pants. I haven't checked but are you factoring in the OS... or do you have one you can use?

good idea,but becuase the stuff im doing (3ds max,photoshop etc) the nvidia cards work better in it (the new nvidia drivers have been opitmised to work well in CS5) so becuase im going nvidia ill go with intel.

i still need the boss's aproval so ill try and get it down to $1800 and then try and get the boss approval.

Edited by jdog

yeah,but becuase ive never used amd ill just stick with intel and try amd for a LAN box...

either way i go im over budget so ill just ask the budget to (hopefully )be upped to 2k and get everything in one hit.....

i just read the article and the cooments of users said that the programs like premire pro/photoshop use Nvidia CUDA instead so it looks like im stuck with nvidia and intel..which is fine..

Edited by jdog

well if your willing to get some parts from centrecom which would likely put the price up ~$40-80 post i would look at this

im guessing your picking up from umart?

Intel Core i7-950 $328

x58a-ud3r $239

Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL 7 DDR3 XMS3 (CMX4GX3M1A1600C7) $108.9 single stick upgrade to 12g later

GTX480 $515

Corsair AX-850 $258

CoolerMaster HAF X $240

$1598

yeah i am going to get it (and pick up from) umart ...and that build looks interesting.... but ive never heard of centrecom,who are they?

yeah i am going to get it (and pick up from) umart ...and that build looks interesting.... but ive never heard of centrecom,who are they?

i think there a large store\warehouse in melb with a few smaller retail outlets i have purchased gear from them a few times but that was a few years ago now all went well though

thats good,but unfortually i live up in brisbane so i cant use them (shipping would be crazy $$$)

but i did do a build for $1810 (with a diffrent case) which is good

but i reckon ill stick with umart and try and up the budget to $2k that way i can fit the hsf and other stuff in..

(and im paying so im sure i can)

Edited by jdog

Thats a good idea, getting a single 4gb stick, will save you 50-100 dollars and 4gb will be more than enough until you can afford to upgrade.