Sign in to follow this  
jdog

Building a new rig (finally)

keep in mind that anandtech review is what the psu is drawing at the wall on ~120v so you can lower those numbers by about 18% depending on how efficient that 1200w psu is

and here is what a single gtx480 used on my rig at the wall stock with the cpu at 4ghz 2560x1440 8xqaa

stock 1.063v averaged 330-345w peaked at 350w

so my pc with a water pump fans 2 hdd overclocked dual core cpu and a single gtx480 is drawing under 300w from the psu in crysis

im not saying a 1kw psu is a bad idea for a overclocked gtx480 sli pc i just think its over the top and unnecessary

but your only running a dual core 32nm chip that wouldn't draw more than 55-60w overclocked an overclocked i7 is going to use ~200w

this is apples to oranges anyway

Jdog it doesn't really matter just buy whatever fits your budget.

well that was a few small parts from centrecom you would still pick up large heavy bits at umart case hdd gpu maybe mb and cpu but the ram would cost jack shit to post

i have ordered a ups from umart in the past shipped to vic was ~$50 for post which isnt to bad for a heavy item

Thats a good idea, getting a single 4gb stick, will save you 50-100 dollars and 4gb will be more than enough until you can afford to upgrade.

but doesnt x58 work better in tripple channal?

@ nessy then what would a OC'd i7 + GTX 480 SLI use? (just for comparsion sake and so i can figure what to get when i get a 2nd gtx 480)...

Edited by jdog

but your only running a dual core 32nm chip that wouldn't draw more than 55-60w overclocked an overclocked i7 is going to use ~200w

this is apples to oranges anyway

Jdog it doesn't really matter just buy whatever fits your budget.

yes thats right its a dual core and draws much less than a i7 950 at 4ghz+ running linpack and if you ran fur and linpack at the same time on that overclocked system it would stress a 850w psu

what i was showing there is that despite the 73w tdp of the cpu and 300w tdp of the gpu and 18w water pump ect. the system was still using under 300w from the psu while gaming

assuming that dodgy power meter of mine is half accurate...

Thats a good idea, getting a single 4gb stick, will save you 50-100 dollars and 4gb will be more than enough until you can afford to upgrade.

but doesnt x58 work better in tripple channal?

yes it dose but it works fine in single channel just slightly slower cpu performance which will improve each time you add a stick of ram till you reach 3 sticks for 12g ram running triple channel

so getting 6gb (2x3gb) now and then get another 6gb set would be silly (but doesnt a single 4GB stick cost a lot more then a single 6Gb kit?)

Edited by jdog

so getting 6gb (2x3gb) now and then get another 6gb set would be silly (but doesnt a single 4GB stick cost a lot more then a single 6Gb kit?

see the pc i priced above that is a single 4g stick of ram that is faster than the kingston ram you were looking at and its cheap as

yeah it is but the place im getting my stuff from (umart) doesnt have any 4GB single sticks.... illl just ask to up the budget to 2k and be done with it!

$2222....everything (including hsf and a better psu for future SLI)

no..its worth it il just stick with $1800 one and get the other stuff later...

Edited by jdog

This has all gotten a bit mish mash with some hairbrain ideas thrown in, Jdog if your budget is now $2200 do it right ie: the following from umart

-i7 950

-x58 ud3r

-Antec 1kw quattro PSU

-2x leadtek GTX480

-haf 932 (think that was the case you wanted?

-3 sticks of kingston DDR3 2gb (don't buy 2 sticks now and 2 sticks later or 1 4gb stick or whatever it was)

-Samsung F3 1tb

comes to nearly smack bang on $2200

This has all gotten a bit mish mash with some hairbrain ideas thrown in, Jdog if your budget is now $2200 do it right ie: the following from umart

-i7 950

-x58 ud3r

-Antec 1kw quattro PSU

-2x leadtek GTX480

-haf 932 (think that was the case you wanted?

-3 sticks of kingston DDR3 2gb (don't buy 2 sticks now and 2 sticks later or 1 4gb stick or whatever it was)

-Samsung F3 1tb

comes to nearly smack bang on $2200

Get this. Freaking awesome build for the cash.

I think you really need to speak to your old man and get back to us.

nesquick's build is nice, but you're $500 over your budget, however, if you only get the 1 GTX480 now that should put you back to $1700.

You need to stop and think about what you really want and then think about what you can afford now and what you can leave out for now until you can upgrade again later down the track.

For example, if you ditch the cpu cooler and get a cheaper 6gb kit of ram, or go for a single 4gb stick (which makes sense, if you're allowed to spend the cash in another 3 months time, then you just buy another 2 4gb sticks, so you end up with 12) Think about if you really need/want dual GTX480s, or if you can settle with something different, like dual 6870s or something, then you don't need a 1000w psu.

But seriously, get the OKAY about what sort of money you can spend, have a chat to your old man and explain the ideas behind spending a little extra now vs alot more later. If he's reasonable and its your cash, he'll understand.

very smart nukey, i will do that later today and get back to you then..

but nukey,just a question but would your sig rig be in my budget ?(without WC of course and half the ram)

if so then il just put that down in the list of possiable configs in budget (if it is,im not sure)

Edited by jdog

Dude, add me to steam or something and we'll have a proper chat, sounds like you're getting too confused with all this advice floating around.

Add me to steam - nukejockey.

will do and ill have a chat with you later today (round 1pm ish)

now ive got work to do!

or you can add me on skype (if you have it) jamiew47

Edited by jdog

I think you really need to speak to your old man and get back to us.

nesquick's build is nice, but you're $500 over your budget, however, if you only get the 1 GTX480 now that should put you back to $1700.

You need to stop and think about what you really want and then think about what you can afford now and what you can leave out for now until you can upgrade again later down the track.

For example, if you ditch the cpu cooler and get a cheaper 6gb kit of ram, or go for a single 4gb stick (which makes sense, if you're allowed to spend the cash in another 3 months time, then you just buy another 2 4gb sticks, so you end up with 12) Think about if you really need/want dual GTX480s, or if you can settle with something different, like dual 6870s or something, then you don't need a 1000w psu.

But seriously, get the OKAY about what sort of money you can spend, have a chat to your old man and explain the ideas behind spending a little extra now vs alot more later. If he's reasonable and its your cash, he'll understand.

pretty much this...

all to often people design a system they want not a system that is in their budget that would most likely still be just as good.

UPDATE: did a little more serching on umart for specials and such and i found the EVGA GTX 480 is only $25 more then the gigabyte one....but im confused about which one to get....Also i found that the ram is gone up slightly to $208....that makes the 2000mhz stuff cheap at $200....

total price of everything now is $2060 (with EVGA 480,Ax 850,NH14 cooler)

if only it was a little cheaper...

but if i go with the HX 850 and the gigabyte GTX 480 is comes to $1998!

Edited by jdog

good suggustion nessie,if i go with the quattro 850 +SLI 470 +build it comes to $2137..not bad.....but for $200 more i can go single 480,ud7,ax1200w (for future SLI)......so temping.....

Edited by jdog

again with the ud7 ? its a waste tbh.

dude grab 2 gtx 460's they are cooler and cheaper and not far behind 470's.

on my rig i run 5 hdd, 1 ssd, 6x120mm fans, 1 240mm fan, 1 655 pump, 1dvdrw, external 1.5tb drive:usb, 1iphone charger, 2x gtx 470's, 980x @4.83gig with furmark and after a minute my 1kw psu fans spins up a little bit so i think an 850 will do the job.

at the end of the day its your rig and what you want, you have to ask for the funds not us.

so how much do you want to beg??

Edited by AMD AKIMBO

beg? i dont beg....but if i do then what do i get?...

for $1920 i can get this:

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00

CoolerMaster RC-692-KKN2 Advanced Bay Tower Gaming Case $132.00

Western Digital 1TB SATA3 64M(WD1002FAEX) $103.00

Kingston Hyperx 6G(3x2G) 1600Mhz DDR3 T1 XMP $198.00 $18.00

Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler $108.00

Corsair AX-850 ATX Power Supply $258.00

LiteON IHAS524 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail $30.00

x2 Gigabyte GF GTX460 1G Super OC DDR5 2xDualLinkDVI miniHDMI $259.00

Total $1920.00

but i think ill stick with the sig rig....and ask for a budget increase..

Edited by jdog

Saw something about wattage confusion in this thread.

Just for some comparison, my rig (i7 950 @ 4GHz, HD5970 @ stock, water cooling, 4xHDDs plus some add in cards and 12 fans with 850W PSU) pulls the following at the wall (so perhaps take 20% off to get what the PSU is actually delivering to the system):

Idle: 250W

Running LinX alone: 400W

Running Furmark alone: 540W

Running LinX and Furmark simultaneously: 690W

Stock SLI'd GTX 480's will pull 600W under furmark, and judging from the above an i7 950 @ 4GHz will need 120W on top of idle wattage. Which puts it in the ~750W range. However OCing the 480s will add perhaps another 60W per GPU to that. This is however extreme circumstances.

Games won't pull those kind in figures. Ganged stock 480's will only pull around 470W. Leaving plenty for the rest of the system on a 850W.

If your going to be benching and OCing hard, maybe consider a 900W for some head room and stability. But that's only really for extreme burn in stuff. Things like 3dMark/Heaven etc only pull similar currents to games anyway.

edit: clarified something

Edited by mark84

so if a 850w is fine,then why do people say a 1000w+ is needed?

so if a 850w is fine,then why do people say a 1000w+ is needed?

because its better to have the headroom and not need it than need it and not have it.

that makes alot of sense..

ill get back to you guys later on an tell if the budget has gone up/down and what it is...

update:

just ordered this from umart (so i cant and dont want to change it)

Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 SATA II 7200RPM 32M $59.00

Intel Core i7 950 Processor LGA1366 3.06GHz 8MB Cache CPU $329.00

Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply, 140mm Fan $193.00

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal Cooler $34.00

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R X58+ICH10R QPI 6.4GT/s DDR3 2000 PCI-Ex16 SATAII $244.00

Corsair CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) XMSP DDR $145.00

Gigabyte GTX 480 1536MB 2DVI $525.00 CoolerMaster RC-942-KKN1 HAF X 942 Black No PSU $239.00

LiteON IHAS524 SATA DVD-RW 24X Black Retail $30.00

Total $1798.00

approved? (i hope so)

Edited by jdog