Virtuoso

John Howard cops a pair of Hush Puppies

A disgruntled hippie in the audience of Q&A tonight threw his shoes at former PM, John Howard.

Howard had just defended his participation in the Iraq war, when the protester shouted ‘‘That is for the Iraqi dead’’, and lobbed two shoes in the direction of the former PM.

The shoes missed Howard, who kept his cool and laughed it off. "It’s all right, don’t worry. Forget it, forget it. Relax," he said.

The incident had echoes of an infamous incident when shoes were thrown at former US president George Bush during a trip to Iraq in 2008.

Much as I don't like Howard - a view strengthened by his refusal to accept responsibility for anything during Q&A - I don't actually condone or enjoy people throwing things at former PMs.

I found the incident hilarious. I also found the hippy's actions unacceptable.

We have a very open culture where dissent and disagreement is tolerated. People are permitted to express all manner of views. However, the line is drawn at physical violence.

Throwing shoes at someone is assault. I think that the dude who threw the shoes should be charged accordingly. Our civil society relies on the fact that people can express their political opinions without fear of physical harm. IMO anybody who uses violence to make a political statement should be dealt with to the fullest extent of the law.

I'm glad to see that the majority of the Q&A audience told both hippies to get out.

At least there's some sanity left in Australia and it's still biased against hippies. That is reassuring.

Yeah, it was extremely cheesy. Thankfully he bowls worse than Howard, if that's possible.

It was a cracker of a Q&A though, from David Hicks to children overboard. If only Rudd had half of the backbone Howard has.

And he wouldn't have directly answered a single one.

Found the video

Edited by Rybags

They didn't go anywhere near him.

The overhead lighting was in more danger than he was.

Hippies are harmless. That guy was clearly someone impersonating a hippie.

If he had or worn an elephant suit, he would have got a meeting with the pm!

What's the world coming too?

that seemed like more of a stunt than anything. He did not even put any force into his throw :S Pussy was probably worried about being put up on assault charges if the shoes actually landed LOL

Nice work Johnny. Fucking hippies.

That was almost as graceful as how Arnie handled being egged:

He doesn't even flinch (0:14) and even jokes about it later (1:30). That's the kind of guy I want running the place, no cops or secret service running to the "rescue", no snipers, he just fucking soldiers on. GG.

This kinda reminds me of the guy at the panel who asks the inane question and then gets disappointed by the answer. (I'm looking at you Bacon Lube guy)

:)

Well if the shoes happen to fit he's up a pair of Hush Puppies ;)

Cheers

Much as I don't like Howard - a view strengthened by his refusal to accept responsibility for anything during Q&A - I don't actually condone or enjoy people throwing things at former PMs.

- Virtuoso

What do you mean by "Refusal to accept responsibility"?

Howard explicitly said on more than one occasion

"I accept full responsibility for the decision to goto war"

and later said

"I accept full responsibility to any decision made by my government"

I don't know what more you could wan't, he can't be punished he hasn't broken any laws.

If you don't believe me you can check the full transcript found here.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s304174...show=transcript

Available Tuesday.

::Edit::

If you want to see it

31:08

31:27

and onwards. On the stream on QandA - or wait for the transcript.

Edited by Bundy

While I found the protest logical, in a round about kind of way, I also found it unoriginal and also reasonably irrelevant given he's not actually in power anymore, in any capacity.

For all we know, HOWARD hired him.

Personally it looked like Howard was enjoying the whole thing. The massive grin on his face summed it up.

I don't like a lot of what Howard did, but throwing shoes accomplishes little other than establish yourself as a colossal jackass.