mark84

The little big project

hey mark ive got 2 3000 rpm scythe Ultra Kaze's if you need, no i idea what they sound like turned down tho.

edit: they're fucking quiet turned down, wow. i re-like them lol

and i just bought another two antec tri cool green led fans for my new rad gah.

Yeah they're not bad aye? I probably would've stuck with my Ultra Kazes if the rads were vertical.

Could always get Noctua's for around the same price. Not sure what kind of bearing Noiseblockers are on either, but they do 53CFM@~20dB if I recall correctly.

EDIT: I think its because they come in good 4packs for 60 bucks. And are comparable to p12's etc.

oh yea that reminds me everyone on ocau seems to rave about noise blockers as rad fans.

I've already ordered the s-flex's so I'll see how they go when they arrive. Can always get some different fans if needed.

hey mark ive got 2 3000 rpm scythe Ultra Kaze's if you need, no i idea what they sound like turned down tho.

edit: they're fucking quiet turned down, wow. i re-like them lol

and i just bought another two antec tri cool green led fans for my new rad gah.

Yeah they're not bad aye? I probably would've stuck with my Ultra Kazes if the rads were vertical.

Could always get Noctua's for around the same price. Not sure what kind of bearing Noiseblockers are on either, but they do 53CFM@~20dB if I recall correctly.

EDIT: I think its because they come in good 4packs for 60 bucks. And are comparable to p12's etc.

oh yea that reminds me everyone on ocau seems to rave about noise blockers as rad fans.

I've already ordered the s-flex's so I'll see how they go when they arrive. Can always get some different fans if needed.

nothing wrong with s-felx's, they are pretty fucking good too easily still one of the best fans around!

if only i had screws long enough for my ultra kazes to go on the rads ive got now. (all my gear has arrived all at once he he) spose ill have to work on my loop again soon and find my thread or make a new 'project' one :P

I've got a hankering to build a new rig. Not just any rig though. I want to keep the top class performance of my current build but shrink it down into a case as small as possible and keep it as quite as possible.

Currently I have a monolithic case sitting on my desk (Antec Twelve Hundred) with all the goodies in it mentioned in my sig, plus 4x HDDs, 2x ODDs, custom water cooling loop etc etc.

Problem is I'm over it's hugeness and noise. It's really heavy to move around if I need to work on it and with 12 fans currently running in it to move air around it's capacious interior it's somewhat loud too. The other fact is that it takes up a fair bit of desk space too, the cases footprint but then also the custom water radiator setup hanging off the back adding another 1/4 of the cases length to the overall setup.

Then there's the water loop itself. My HD5970 refuses to work correctly with any number of full cover blocks and when it was running on water the temps were only just acceptable, presumably due to just a dual 120mm rad.

So I'm over it am thinking about a bit of a challenge. Going small and quiet.

I was wanting to go for a Mini ITX form factor but with those offering just a single PCI-E slot I wouldn't be happy, as after the GFX card I really like add-in sound cards for sound, so that means Micro ATX for the extra slots.

The other issue is cooling. I'll be going for water cooling again but this may be difficult in such a small space. How ever after some searching around I have one or two ideas.

Just after any thoughts or suggestions regarding the water cooling or anything else with it.

Bits I'm thinking of using for the build:

• i7 950 (from current build)
  • 6GB RAM (from current build)
  • ASUS Rampage III Gene motherboard
  • AMD HD6990 (or what ever Antilles will be)
  • Asus Xonar D2X (from current build)
  • Possibly a RAID card or TV tuner (from current build)
  • 2x HDDs for mirrored big data stuffs
  • 1x SSD for OS/Apps/Games
  • 1x Slim ODD
  • Corsair AX850 PSU (modular and 0 fan speed up too a certain wattage, and 80 Plus Gold rated)
  • This 5.25" bay adapter to convert one bay to accept the slim ODD and up to two SSD's.

The case

After looking at a few to many cases I've narrowed it down to four, although I think I've already settled on one.

• Lian Li PC-V354 (PSU mounting position may compromise full cover GPU blocks, plus places to mount pump+res would be awkward)
  • Lian Li PC-V352 (not a bad setup but the area inside I think is too small for a big dual GPU card, length and height restrictions unfortunately cross this off the list)
  • Da Box 100 Blackheart (a really sweet case I came across from the US, unfortunately they're all out of stock plus they don't seem to be made in big numbers so doubt I could get one. Also the res+pump mounting internally would be hard plus limited drive bays)
  • Silverstone SG02-F (this seems the best overall fit)

The SG02 seems best as there's two 5.25 bays in it which gives me options, plus the PSU hangs over the CPU area which seems to be the most compact case layout type and helps with CPU mobo area ventilation.

The only issue is case air flow. It only has 80mm fan mounts and even then not in the best areas. I'm after comments here, just thinking of slapping a 140mm fan on the expansion slot side of the case towards the front. Can't do the other side really as PSU would interfere with air flow. Mounting on the left near front should push air into HDD cage area at front, blow directly over GFX card and hopefully over the top and into the CPU area before going out the other side of the case or up and out the PSU.

I think I'll put clear plastic over the breather holes on the case on the left hand side and on the top ones so air from the side fan doesn't exit the case so readily. Doing this in my SG05 build worked well.

Water cooling bits

Still nutting this one out so feel free to chip in with ideas.

• Apogee GTZ (from current build)
  • Koolance RP-1000BK res + pump 5.25" bay device (only decent one I can find at the moment. There is this but it's flow rate is less than half)
  • Full cover block for HD6990 when they come
  • 3/8" ID tubing (easier to route inside the case vs larger gauges)
  • Shroud(s) for rad setup to reduce air turbulance and noise

That's about as far as I've gotten. Just after some help with radiator options, fans for the rad and the pump situation.

For the rad setup I'm thinking of having it lay down on top of the case raised up by rad boxes or similar, but as my dual 120mm rad barely coped with the current setup I want to beef it up a bit. So I'm thinking maybe a single 3x 120/140mm rad or keeping the current dual 120mm rad and getting another and put them side by side in series. Thoughts? Rad suggestions? How does fins per inch effect cooling and noise?

Fan suggestions for rad(s)? Currently have two Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm fans but have them running on reduced voltage with a pot to reduce noise. Scythe Gentle Typhoons maybe?

With the 5.25" bay thing above it looks like it has a standard DDC pump in there. Would that be ok for this sort of setup?

\wall of text

Discuss!

bgears b envy is a nice looking small form factor mATX case--a cube. Good expansion card count, roomy. Comes with windows on case sides. Can take a peek at Xoxide.com

HUGE MOTHERFUCKING WALL OF TEXT!!

Mate, don't quote such huge posts like that.

Especially 3 times!

So I've now ordered most of the parts I need. Just a case of waiting for them all to arrive and slowly putting things together whilst I wait for Antilles >.>

Ordered water cooling bits over the weekend and decided to go compression fittings. Glad I did cause I got the SG02-F case today and it'll be quite cramped inside. I also got some 90 degree fittings and some 45 ones too just in case. Hopefully routing the tubing inside won't be much of a problem with those.

Picture of what I've received so far:

Posted Image

• Silverstone SG02-F case
  • Corsair AX850 PSU
  • Asus Rampage III Gene motherboard
  • Two XSPC RX360 radiators
  • Panasonic UJ-240 slim drive
  • Six Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm fans
  • NZXT Sentry LXE fan controller (may not use this on this build, had another idea that I'll reveal down the track :P)

Got some things coming from USA so they might be another week or two in arriving.

On the weekend I might try sitting the rads on top of the case just to get an idea of how much over hang etc there'll be to play with. Maybe mount the mobo and see how little room there is lol

glad i popped in for a look before bed

it will sure be a unique little monster :)

waiting on parts gives you a chance to get them rads mounted to the top i guess

So I've played around with my new components just to look at form and fit.

Conclusion, it'll be tight :)

Put the rads on top to see what it'll look like. For the build they'll be raised up off the top of the case. Just wanted to see if they fit without overhang.

Posted Image

No overhang front or sides..

Posted Image

Just enough overhang out the back for connections

Posted Image

Then I put the motherboard in. Just fits. I like the SATA connectors location. Just where they need to be.

Posted Image

Then I put the PSU in.

Posted Image

PSU makes things much more cramped.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some short PSU cables I bought, hoping to use them instead of the long corsair ones.

Posted Image

I'll need to swap connectors on the silverstone ones with the corsair ones so they'll plug into the PSU ok.

Posted Image

The Corsair motherboard cable however has the PSU side of its connection split into two smaller parts. So I can't use the shorter Silverstone one :(

Posted Image

Seeing as HD6990 is looking to be delayed into early next year I might just put this together with just the CPU on water until the new card is out.

Still waiting for most of the parts to arrive, will update this thread when they come.

Edited by mark84

looking fantastic so far! nice watercooling gear. should have just got a silverstone psu to save you the work ahead!

@tunksy - Yeah was considering it but the corsair should be higher quality (it's based on Seasonic PSUs) and it also has Gold rated 80 Plus certification. Stryders only have silver. Plus this one's fan doesn't come one up to 20% load. Which will help towards quieter PC.

@nes - After taking those shots, I literally think there's no room for a watercooled vid card in the top slot. Getting tubing to/from it would be hard and the card will block off HDD bays if it's long enough. One dual GPU card should be fine. Hopefully Nvidia get their dual GPU card out soon too, so I at least have some choice.

very nice build,mark84..love the simple,yet elegant nature of it...loooking forward to seeing more...

very neat fit

i was wondering if something like this might suit for mounting the rads

http://www.radiical.com.au/guides/RadiatorFitting.asp

only thing is you would need to reinforce the roof there mounted to so they dont dent it if someone put any weight on them

24 stainless rods supporting the rads would look kinda nice imo

that would be $90 from them but you could probably do it for under $30 if you found the bits at a hardware store :\

That's one good thing about watercooling.

You can cramb you tiny little PC into a tiny case and it will stay cool.

@Dasa - I'm getting these. That way no holes in the top of case are needed. Plus they're rubberised so it'll reduce any vibration.

Was considering these at one stage, but they're a bit over the top for me :) They would be rather epic looking though.

Edited by mark84

very neat fit

i was wondering if something like this might suit for mounting the rads

http://www.radiical.com.au/guides/RadiatorFitting.asp

only thing is you would need to reinforce the roof there mounted to so they dont dent it if someone put any weight on them

24 stainless rods supporting the rads would look kinda nice imo

that would be $90 from them but you could probably do it for under $30 if you found the bits at a hardware store :\

same idea as dasa, but from the kool room, and cheaper. http://www.thekoolroom.com/index.php?route...;product_id=397

@Dasa - I'm getting these. That way no holes in the top of case are needed. Plus they're rubberised so it'll reduce any vibration.

Was considering these at one stage, but they're a bit over the top for me :) They would be rather epic looking though.

hmm i don't actually like the koolance thing, much. those bitspower things are pretty decent my mate reckons.

Second lot of parts have arrived...

Rad grills, 180mm fan + grill/filter, Apogee XT block (threads on current GTZ are dodgy so got this) and Koolance pump+res 5.25" bay device

Posted Image

Inside the Koolance bay device

Posted Image

180mm fan next to case...

Posted Image

... and with the grill on.

Posted Image

I wouldn't bother with H2O if you're gonna run an i7 1366 pin CPU, just get a decent air cooler. or as suggested already, a Corsair H70....

what's the point in building a half pint box if it's gonna have H2O hanging out of it, external radiators and the like - you may as well build another monster, mate.

unless you're gonna run Super_Pi etc, what's the need for a 4.00G + overclock?

Are you sure your an Atomican? cause what your saying doesn't sound very atomic :)

It's not called the little big project for nothing.

EDIT: Why I've made the decisions I have.

Had 3 main objectives in order of importance for this build. Size, performance, quietness.

Smallest I'll go is mATX, gives me some expansion options.

Performance parts dictate that some heavy cooling will be needed.

H20 for quietness (especially GPU), 7 fans turned down low and this puppy should be nice and cool even with OCed bits.

Even with the rads on top it's small enough for my liking compared to my current Twelve Hundred case.

Edited by mark84

I wouldn't bother with H2O if you're gonna run an i7 1366 pin CPU, just get a decent air cooler. or as suggested already, a Corsair H70....

what's the point in building a half pint box if it's gonna have H2O hanging out of it, external radiators and the like - you may as well build another monster, mate.

unless you're gonna run Super_Pi etc, what's the need for a 4.00G + overclock?

mounting the rads up ontop will make it look a fair bit taller...

there is these thing called games that can run under 30fps with a puny 4ghz overclock :P

This thread has just started to get interesting.

Looking really cool so far, can't wait to see how it comes out.

I have to second this. Thanks for such an inetesting build Mark84. I can't wait for the next round of pictures.