The little big project

Those 180mm fans are interesting!E

Makes the 120s seem like 80s.

its not how big it is, its how you use it! :P

Those 180mm fans are interesting!E

Makes the 120s seem like 80s.

its not how big it is, its how you use it! :P

:D lol yeah

When I pulled it out of the box I was like 'whoa!'. Put a 120mm on top of it and corner to corner you could almost fit 4 120mm fans in the same space. Before I tried it next to the case I wasn't sure it was going to fit!

Still not sure as I need to double check where the fan mount holes go, might be an issue with where the case cover sits and meshes with the case base.

Ok, got a few more things, so some moar pics!

USB 3.0 card and fan controller

Posted Image

Fan controller close up, got this one as it does 4 fans, goes between 5-12v and behind the face plate doesn't protrude very far into the case. The reason for this will become apparent down the track when assembly happens.

Posted Image

USB 3.0 card and 3.5" bay outputs. Got this so I can stick USB 3.0 ports out the front of my case.

Posted Image

Where I intend to have the USB 3.0 ports come out of the bay converter. Will require some hackery

Posted Image

About 2/3 of all the angled connectors and compression fittings for the water loop. Also a bunch of LED strips etc, lamptron de pinning tool, rad supports tubing, SATA power adapters for slim ODD etc etc

Posted Image

Initial plan for connecting the two rads doesn't quite work. Too wide. I'll be ordering one of those SLI variable length connectors to solve this issue.

Posted Image

Gave the fans a run with the fan controller. The 180mm fan at max speed is barely audible at all, might turn it down to 80% and it's completely silent :D

The S-Flex 120mm fan I tried was reasonably quiet a full speed, but easily 50% is almost silent so they should go well.

Placed an order for SSD's (yes plural) and HDDs yesterday so should get them soon.

Just need to order the final connection parts for the water loop, order up a 30" monitor and then I'm set for xmas holidays I think :)

Will put it together less GPU in the H20 loop and just have the 5970 in there until Nvidia and ATI release their new dual GPU monters and I'll upgrade and add the GPU into the loop.

Bought a dremel the other day too so that'll help with the precision metal cutting.

OH man that looks cool! If only I had the motivation to spend loads more on my PC! But I doubt I could top this mini monster,

/eagerly awaits next update.

Don't forget the dremel 565 bit.

Kit came with that and the flexible extension thingo too :)

Thanks for the support morgy. I keep wondering if I've forgotten something hehe, keep going over it in my head trying to make sure I have everything before I start building.

OH man that looks cool! If only I had the motivation to spend loads more on my PC! But I doubt I could top this mini monster,

/eagerly awaits next update.

couldnt agree more :)

@ nes - lol. I know someone would comment on that. It's the spare bedrooms' doona. :)

Last night after posting the pics I started loosely putting the 5.25 bay devices in just to check for fit etc before I finalise my final order to purchase. Glad I did because the Koolance pump+res with the 90 degree loop attachments attached comes in contact with the rear of the PSU!!! D:

I was originally planning to have the pump/res bay up the top but with this discovery I need to put it in the lower bay so as not to obstruct the power cables coming from the PSU.

I'll post some pics tonight of what I found. With compression fittings on the 90 degree angled fittings the koolance bay sticks out from the front of the case by a few mm so won't work. Using barbs instead for just those 2 connections though should work out ok.

I'm also going to have to get creative with how and where I route cables. I found that removing the stock HDD cage fan gives me a lot more options in terms of routing stuff through the actual HDD cage.

This just got challenging :P

EDIT: speeling

Edited by mark84

mate, this is going to be AWESOME! shame about the koolance pump/res. the designers need to go 'ok we'll make it this size' and then they should add about 2cm to that...

off topic, I've always wanted to water cool a lian li V351

Top down shot of the PSU and Koolance device situation

Posted Image

Some other shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

With 90 degree fittings in top bay

Posted Image

and in the lower bay

Posted Image

With the compression fittings on...

Posted Image

...causes the bay to sit out from the front by a few mil

Posted Image

Will get barbs for those two connections. Measurements say they're no wider than the 90 degree fitting so should fix that issue.

EDIT: @ tunksy - yeah the V351 is interesting and one of the first I looked at, but there's a video card length issue, 28cm max, which ruled it out for me and my dual GPU dreams :)

Would probably do alright with a single gpu card though.

Edited by mark84

EDIT: @ tunksy - yeah the V351 is interesting and one of the first I looked at, but there's a video card length issue, 28cm max, which ruled it out for me and my dual GPU dreams :)

Would probably do alright with a single gpu card though.

yea i was thinking dual GTX460 sli and water blocks, and somehow fit a cpu in there too :P

damn, just a few mil out on the koolance pump/res!

This is obscene! I love the compact watercooling idea, this is gonna look weird but awesome

itd be good for you. you could have some of you desk back!

edit: spelling

Edited by tunksy

any updates mate? xD

Yeah I'll post up some pics tonight. Got a mighty fine piece of equipment yesterday. So awesome in fact that I took some quick pics and immediately started using it and forgot about this thread altogether :D

Placed my last two big orders last weekend, so just a case of waiting for them to arrive. One should be this week, the other from the US maybe next week.

This is obscene! I love the compact watercooling idea, this is gonna look weird but awesome

It will look a little odd, nothing I've seen done around these parts anyway with everyone doing towers.

any updates mate? xD

Yeah I'll post up some pics tonight. Got a mighty fine piece of equipment yesterday. So awesome in fact that I took some quick pics and immediately started using it and forgot about this thread altogether :D

Placed my last two big orders last weekend, so just a case of waiting for them to arrive. One should be this week, the other from the US maybe next week.

It will look a little odd, nothing I've seen done around these parts anyway with everyone doing towers.

good to hear man, in some ways i prefer this over justins build, uber mini PC's just rock my socks off. and yes everyone else does do towers so it nice to see something different.

love the build man!

more pretty pictures,please?

Ask and ye shalt receive!

Got me a Dell U3011 30" monitor. Man this thing is HUUUUUGE!

A couple of shots with it compared to my old Dell 2407WFP 24 incher.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm still going "wow" and droooling over it. Yet to get over how much screen real estate this thing has :D

Seeing the upper limits of my HD5970 now. Running F1 2010 at the full 2560x1600 I have to bump the AA down from 8x to 4x to keep playable frame rates with all details on ultra. HAWX2 in DX11 mode was a bit chuggy, forgot to lower AA so maybe that'll help.

Can't wait for next gen dual GPU cards to come out, gonna need the grunt! (and 2GB frame buffers)

Edited by mark84

Ask and ye shalt receive!

Got me a Dell U3011 30" monitor. Man this thing is HUUUUUGE!

A couple of shots with it compared to my old Dell 2407WFP 24 incher.

I'm still going "wow" and droooling over it. Yet to get over how much screen real estate this thing has :D

Seeing the upper limits of my HD5970 now. Running F1 2010 at the full 2560x1600 I have to bump the AA down from 8x to 4x to keep playable frame rates with all details on ultra. HAWX2 in DX11 mode was a bit chuggy, forgot to lower AA so maybe that'll help.

Can't wait for next gen dual GPU cards to come out, gonna need the grunt! (and 2GB frame buffers)

nice man, what are you doing with the old monitor?

Didn't he say something about using it as a paper weight a few pages back? :P

Didn't he say something about using it as a paper weight a few pages back? :P

I was thinking more a door stop. What do you reckon?

;)

Got the last two major shipments yesterday.

Last of the water cooling bits, including quick disconnects. Also two 2TB Samsung HDDs and two SSDs, 120GB for OS/apps and 240GB for games.

Posted Image

Got the last two major shipments yesterday.

Last of the water cooling bits, including quick disconnects. Also two 2TB Samsung HDDs and two SSDs, 120GB for OS/apps and 240GB for games.

Posted Image

thats alot of money on ssd,s but thats what id do if i had the money too. nice and fast.