mark84

The little big project

nice man, what are you doing with the old monitor?

Didn't he say something about using it as a paper weight a few pages back? :P

I was thinking more a door stop. What do you reckon?

;)

you could use it has a 2nd monitor..or sell it to me :)

Just another update.

Got a USB3 to SATA adapter today, so thought I'd try it out in unison with all the drives going in the mini beast.

So chucked the USB3 PCI-E card into my current rig, hooked em up and gave em a whirl.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Forgot to take a shot of the slim line blue ray drive attached but I think you get the idea.

And this wouldn't be atomic without some benchies:

Posted Image

200MB/s going over USB, pretty cool :D~

In other news, the dremel will be going to my handy man of a father for Christmas, so I can't get cutting on the case until then ;)

Edited by mark84

very nice results there man!

get cutting! :P i wana see more pics!

@tunksy - Cutting will commence after Christmas day, per previous post :) Until then I'll measure up the tubing and get a better idea of how it'll all fit together. Also figure out power cable routing in the case etc

I'm hoping to have the CPU, GPU and rads all will quick disconnects on them for easy removal. However the quick disconnects are quite sizable so I'll have to be careful where I put those.

@morgoth - AFAIK the drives only have SATAII interfaces, so SATAIII won't help them :\

@tunksy - Cutting will commence after Christmas day, per previous post :) Until then I'll measure up the tubing and get a better idea of how it'll all fit together. Also figure out power cable routing in the case etc

I'm hoping to have the CPU, GPU and rads all will quick disconnects on them for easy removal. However the quick disconnects are quite sizable so I'll have to be careful where I put those.

@morgoth - AFAIK the drives only have SATAII interfaces, so SATAIII won't help them :\

Pity, cause they're bottlenecked :/

So finally got around to doing some work on this build. Some pics:

Cut 3 holes in the rear. two for water cooling, one for fan power cables. Decided to put them in the middle and pipe straight up to the two inner rad ports rather than the two outer ones. Will look cleaner in simpler.

Posted Image

Then, cut a hole in the side panel for the 180mm fan and mounted it with rubber screws for anti vibration goodness.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes! Meccano is still useful for me even today! :P

Secured the two rads together with some meccano bits and put the compression and angle fittings on.

Posted Image

This is what the rear now looks like with the rads on top of the case.

Posted Image

Been messing around inside the case sorting out how I'm going to put it all together. Turns out I need to order some right angled quick disconnect fittings to get it working in the amount of space there is in the CPU area.

I think I've also sorted out the GPU run so for the moment I'll have a long bit of pipe with disconnects at each end running between the pump+res and the exit out of the case. Then when I get the new video card I just disconnect the length of tubing, put the GPU block into it and reattach it all without draining the loop! :D

If all goes well I can detach the CPU, GPU and rads without draining the loop! Will make upgrading much less of a pain in the ass.

Next few days I'll be working on the top 5.25" 'multi bay'. Cutting the rheobus and SSD mounts to size and working out USB3.0 connector mounts.

More updates!

So I've finished off the 'multi bay' and mounted the fans + grills on the rads.

Some pics:

Here's the 'multi bay' adapter (5.25" bay to slim ODD and 3.5" HDD adapter) with the USB3.0 port holes drilled out and then screwed into place.

Posted Image

I then chopped the mounting arms off the fan controller, and modified the 3.5" bay to 2x 2.5" bay converter so they could both be mounted inline in the 5.25" adapter shown above.

Posted Image

Here they are mounted to the 5.25" bays slim ODD/HDD mounting arms with the 2x SSDs installed

Posted Image

Then that all slides into the 5.25" bay adapter like so

Posted Image

Then the slim ODD is mounted on top

Posted Image

And that gives you one awesome 'multi bay'!

All in the one 5.25" bay I get:

- Blu Ray burner

- 2x SSD's

- 2x USB 3.0 ports

- 4x fan speed controller

:D

Posted Image

Got the long screws for mounting the fans to the rads today. First I cut up some silicon pads to go under the fans. Had to cut them up a bit as the rad mounting holes were closer together than the silicon pads were side by side.

Posted Image

Unfortunately, with the silicon pads the screws weren't long enough to then accommodate the rad grills too, so scrapped the silicon idea so the grills could go on. Looks swish.

Posted Image

EDIT: It seems after re-arranging my photobucket account previous photo links are down. You can go see the full build album HERE. I've put this link in the OP too for future reference.

Edited by mark84

dam im loving all these wicked pc's on the forum at the moment

dam im loving all these wicked pc's on the forum at the moment

toatlly +1 it seems to me that atomic is getting more uber builds while ocau has slowed down a bit, I like it :P

Wow Mark I'm in love with that Slim Blue ray drive SSD fan controller Cluster fuck of yours. So doing that on the next build. Im over my R2!

Nice man.

Love that front panel.

Do SSDs generate any heat at all?

glad you like :)

SSDs shouldn't get hot, they use less than 2W of power, and due to physics that means there'll only be ~4W of heat being generated in there max. So pretty much nothing at all.

I'm in love with that Slim Blue ray drive SSD fan controller Cluster fuck of yours.

I would so put that in my sig if I had enough characters to spare :D

You thinking of going for a small build too next or...?

I'm in love with that Slim Blue ray drive SSD fan controller Cluster fuck of yours.

Well I've got this SG03 here and I had to steal My GF's X58 board as my EVGA board is dead. So right now im really itching to do somthing crazy sell this R2 and grab like a 600T or somthing.

Well I've got this SG03 here and I had to steal My GF's X58 board as my EVGA board is dead. So right now im really itching to do somthing crazy sell this R2 and grab like a 600T or somthing.

mmmm 600T. yummy.

mmmm 600T. yummy.

600t is where my cash is going for my new case when i get around to it. That or a Fractal.

And yes that SSD cluster fuck thing looks freaking epic.

Edited by brissmas

Im thinking about it :P

Postage could be killer though.

Edited by brissmas

Ok, nearing completion. Just need to choos a lighting scheme. What should I go for?

Posted Image

Amber

Posted Image

or blue

Posted Image

I will be finishing this hopefully tonight or tomorrow. So let me know which you like tonight and I'll go with it.

I'll be putting three LED strips in it. One down the length of each side and one below the rads on top of the case.

Bare in mind the water will be dyed yellow. Although I guess I could leave it clear if you think it'll look better.

And here's some pics of my mad tube routing skillz

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

firstly, blue lights

secondly, mad skill there with the tubing! :p use clear distilled water mate :P

Nice man. Look very packed in there.

Not sure which colour I like. Blue looks nice but amber is more original.

What's the brightness like in person on those things? As bright as you expected (or more/less)?

The amber photos with my phone camera doesn't quite show the colour correctly, they're more orangy than what those photos show. But the blue lights are a bit brighter than the Amber ones.

And yeah got Amber ones for perhaps a more original colour scheme than the blue that everything comes with these days. Though the blue still look sexy.

So one for blue lights and one undecided.

And one for clear water.

Need more votes!