mark84

The little big project

Ok got the HD6990!

Here she is with the 4 mini DP converters that came with it plus xfire cable and DVI>VGA adapter.

Posted Image

One thing I noticed that online reviews didn't mention. See the black ring around the fan inlet? That's actually beveled inwards, which I believe helps with the acoustics and efficiency of the fan. Nice touch.

Rear

Posted Image

Here's the HD5970 and HD6990 side by side. Yes they are the same length. HD5970 might be a couple mm's longer.

Posted Image

Their rears

Posted Image

The switch. Which of course I flipped to the OC setting before I even tested if the card worked, voiding warranty before it's even in :P

Posted Image

Shot of the cabling I have to deal with in the front section of the case. Hectic bro!

Posted Image

Seeing as the fan now dumps air into the case too, I switched the side fan to suck air out rather than push air into my packed case. Turns out I should've done that from the start. My mobo north and south bridge temps dropped by ~10C in doing so!

For reference here's how the HD5970 looked in the system. Note the paddle pop stick :P Had to use that to keep some distance from the rear of the card and the sound card as the mobo power cable was pushing the sound card into the video card.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f204/era...ld/DSCF1151.jpg

First attempt cabling. Re worked how the mobo power cable is routed so the sound card sits by itself properly now.

Posted Image

Thing is, with the fan flipped, the blades protrude into the case a bit more than before and the blades rested up against the cabling, stopping it spinning. So had to re work the cabling some more.

Second attempt cabling. Fan sits much better with the cover on.

Posted Image

See the video card fan? Just enough room for it to suck air ok.

Posted Image

You can see the end of the card in this shot, all that hot air will be sucked out nicely.

Posted Image

After installing it I booted and installed new drivers. But I forgot to remove the old ones, so on reboot everything seemed fine. Stuffed around on the desktop etc. Tried running 3DMark11 and the PC crashed and rebooted. After that each reboot into Windows the screen would corrupt something fierce (looked like memory corruption when it's OCed to hard). Thinking it was the OC BIOS switch position I switched back to factory BIOS, but still it artifacted heavily. Then I realised I hadn't cleaned out the old drivers properly first. So did that and all is back to normal with BIOS in OC position.

Bit busy atm, so benchmarks will come later. Just ran furmark to make sure the system is stable under load, which it is.

CPU @ 4.2GHz and HD6990 @ 880/1250

Wattages:

Idle = 186

Furmark = 660W

Now, just have to wait for a water block to be released and this project can be finished!

Woo, time to update sig!

Edited by mark84

Shweeet! Thanks for the link Dasa. I knew customers were bugging em to bring something out.

Should be good. The original EK block I had for the 5970 worked better (temp wise) than the swiftech block I ended up switching it for.

more nice links chaps, thx :)

Looks like the in/outlets are right up near the front of the card, hopefully I have enough gap between card and the right angled tube on the left in the above pic. Should be ok though.

Yeah I'm going EK block if I can. Looks better and should cool better too, going from previous experience. So April some time I guess.

Some quick bench results with card at 880/1250 using pre release 11.4 cats.

Used 1920x1200 res for easier comparison for everyone else

3DMark11 = P9165

Heaven 2.5 = 1807 points

(DX11, High shaders, normal tessellation, 4x anistropy, 0x AA, 1920x1200)

Metro 2033 = Average Framerate: 65.00, Max. Framerate: 232.61, Min. Framerate: 12.60

(DX11, 1920x1200, Very High Quality, AAA, 16x AF, DOF & PhysX Off)

F1 2010 = Avg 91fps, min 75 fps

(1920x1200, 8x AA, Ultra quality preset)

This project is finally at an end!

Over the long Easter holiday break I installed the new water block on my card.

After all the hassles I had trying to water cool the HD5970 this one was a breeze and restores my faith in water cooling GPUs. Worked on the first mount with great temps! GPUs idle about 31C and under burn get in the mid 40's! (That's with the AUSUM mode enabled. ie stock OC). Turning pump and fans up full ball shaved 1C off the temps.

Having 2 radiators was definitely the way to go for this build. After hooking in the GPU block the first rad is noticeably hotter than the second so the first rad is expelling most of the heat it would seem by itself. The second stage rad helps get the water back to room temp before going back into the PC. I'll have to check the water temp readout too, to see what it's at before it hits the CPU block at the start of the loop.

Oh, and my plan with the quick disconnects went wonderfully :) Just disconnected the length of tubing I'd made for use with the GPU block from the loop, cut it and fitted it to the block, filled it up with liquid and installed back into the computer. Easy as and no total loop draining required :)

Some shots for y'all..

Front

Posted Image

Back

Posted Image

Closeup of back

Posted Image

Mounted

Posted Image

Computer before putting the card back in

Posted Image

After it's in

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking through the side fan in the dark

Posted Image

I'll get around to some benching tonight hopefully. Likely post results in the appropriate benching threads.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, HD6990 is f* off loud using stock cooling. After putting the block on it's quiet as, I'm very pleased with how quiet this thing is now. She can be OCed to within an inch of turning into a molten puddle, but at least she'll be screaming quietly :D

Edited by mark84

GR8 stuff M8

looking very Kool!

Yes the QD's are such a Godsend, you wonder why u didnt use em before - eh, I've had none of the issues I first had with the 5970 - so what are we going to do with 2x "leftover" waterblocked 5970s now .....?

a) run a raffel down the pub

b) place then carefully in a box & forget about them till next Xmas

c) build yet another water loop in "Ye 'Ol Rig" (2nd PC)

?

Combine the two into a frankenstein quad xfire beasty?

:) nah I'm already selling mine, should be gone next week.

very nice so im guessing the loudest parts are now side fan pump hdd?

1ghz 24/7 stock v oc on the gpu sounds very cool as for the memory if its anything like the gtx480 it may not make much difference for me going from ~1850-2300mhz made ~1fps difference

only 1c difference between low vs full speed pump\fans is rather impressive

gotta love it when everything goes according to plan for a change eh

Edited by Dasa

Indeed Dasa, all went off without a hitch. Lovin it :)

Side fan at top speed is completely silent, top fans I run at 1/3 speed and are near silent. HDDs I don't hear from much as games are on the 256GB SSD and I only hear the HDDs when copying large files to/from them. Loudest part is the pump, but even then it's just a choice of which speed I run it at as each of 10 speed steps creates a different pitch to it's hum, currently running it at speed 3/10, kind of low hum that meshes with the low sound from the rest of the system.

Turns out the GPU vcore I had to up a bit to make stable. Funnily I ran 3DMark11 ok at 1GHz at stock vcore, but just playing STO for 10mins caused the PC to lock up. Last night, running the vcore at 1.19v (up from 1.175v) worked without issue so I'll run with that for a while.

yer pumps can be a bit random for the amount of noise they make from what i hear even the same models have a fair bit of variance

going by martins review having them suspended helps to reduce there noise a lot but for that you need a bit of room

still it sounds like its extremely cool and quiet :)