jdog

thinking of buying this of ebay,worth it?

go to MSY, they still have 775s in store. They may not be on the website , but you ask that lil iraqi behind the desk at my local, he'll find it for ya.

thanks for idea,i may have a look at that..

Also what you said was racist...atleast reword it..."ask the person behind the counter at my local store,and he will find it for you"

saying terms such as "lil iraqi" is considered racist to some.

atomic has a line....dont cross it...or you will get banned..

Right there in the bold.

What you'll find about eBay... is that in general people tend to lurk... they'll see an item and stick it in their watchlists.

Closer to the time, they then see what the bidding is at, and make a decision where to join in. Often these people will watch at the last minute, and be ready to outbid at the last second. Sometimes screen-scraping based software is used to accomplish this. JBidWatcher is one such tool (not sure if it's maintained now). I've been known to do this successfully by hand on a 56Kbps dialup link.

As for pricing... there are people on both sides who have unrealistic ideas as to what something is worth. Current example:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yaesu-FT101ZD-Mk1-S...=item35add02a3e -- current price $400

Looks old? You'd be right... try 1979 vintage.

http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft101zd.htm

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2616 reveals them to be around the US$900 mark back in the day. So $400 is a pretty steep asking price for something that is over 30 years old. The 6146 vacuum tubes used in this thing are hard to source.

Buyers can be just as guilty... a bidding war will erupt, and suddenly the price skyrockets as the countdown timer ticks down to the hammer. End result is the "winner" winds up being the "loser" that has to pay magnitudes more than the item is worth. The true winner of course being the seller.

Caveat Emptor.

so simply dont buy stuff on ebay, just sell stuff!

go to MSY, they still have 775s in store. They may not be on the website , but you ask that lil iraqi behind the desk at my local, he'll find it for ya.

Also what you said was racist...atleast reword it..."ask the person behind the counter at my local store,and he will find it for you"

Right there in the bold.

yes,my bad..sorry about that..i didnt mean it..

Edited by jdog

so simply dont buy stuff on ebay, just sell stuff!

So if no one buys from eBay, how do you sell things there?

I'm not saying don't buy... you just have to beware of the issues involved, and evolve your strategies to suit.

i.e. don't stick $99999999 on something just before closing time, you might get a rude shock.

Bullshit.

It'd be more unusual to find an Aussie working at MSY!

Bullshit.

is there any pc store thats run by aussies?

Bullshit.

is there any pc store thats run by aussies?

See?

Now you're getting the hang of it.

bad logic!!

i shouldnt listen to him should I?...

why are the funny ones also sometimes the bad one?

i will reconsider everything he says from now on..thanks for the pointer bushi..

Bullshit.

Umart Sunshine Coast (where I shop) is run solely by aussies

Why do you need a backup computer?

What are you using now?

im currently running the following:

Core 2 Duo E6550 (O'C 2.66ghz/stock cooler)

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L matx

palit 9600GT 512mb

ATX P4 400w PSU

320GB HDD IDE

Optric IDE DVDRW

does the job (kinda) at the moment but i need more grunt,thats why im getting a i7 rig at xmas and want to have something of that same power (or simliar) to that as a backup.

that why im going to buying the following:

new case (Coolermaster Cm90 2 Advanced)

new gpu (mudg3's 9800gx2)(picking up next week)

new PSU (500w-600w corsair or antec)

possible new motherboard (ATX 775)

possiable new CPU (quad core)

that is more powerful then what ive got now and say for example my i7 rig has a problem (something not working,power blackout etc) then this will do the job.

more powerful then what ive got now

sorry if i started (not on purpose) the ill asian jokes...

Edited by jdog

Why do you need a backup computer?

What are you using now?

im currently running the following:

Core 2 Duo E6550 (O'C 2.66ghz/stock cooler)

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L matx

palit 9600GT 512mb

ATX P4 400w PSU

320GB HDD IDE

Optric IDE DVDRW

does the job (kinda) at the moment bu i need more grunt,thats why im getting a i7 rig at xmas and want to have something that of the same power (or simliar) to that.

that why im going to buying the following:

new case (Coolermaster Cm90 2 Advanced)

new gpu (mudg3's 9800gx2)(picking up next week)

new PSU (500w-600w corsair or antec)

possible new motherboard (ATX 775)

possiable new CPU (quad core)

that is more powerful then what ive got now and say for example my i7 rig has a problem (something not working,power blackout etc) then this will do the job.

more powerful then what ive got now

So you’re getting an i7 rig and all and now you want to get another before you even have that rig in case something with the rig doesn’t work.

Is this right?

yeah,and also i have other family members as well..

having a backup rig is always a good idea...the reason why im doing this is becuase if there a problem and have to use another rig (for say finishing off animation/models,or a render (these are cpu intenstive) having a rig such as this is a good idea.

Edited by jdog

yeah,and also i have other family members as well..

Huh

Well seems kind of silly to me.

I can understand you having another for the family but you’ve already stated yours does the job.

I am just going for a random shot in the dark that if it’s your parents they won’t be needing anything hardcore.

Oh well not that bad a reason for the family I guess if they really need it and all but if I was you, I would focus on the i7 build first and wait till you have that rig before even considering a new rig.

Also I noticed that in your sig you have “coming later: Dell U2711| Logitech G19|Logitech G500 | 2nd GTX 580 | Logitech C190 Webcam |Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion| Noctula NH-D14|”

Is this with the money that you hope to have in the future to buy for the i7 rig…?

(If there was a blackout you wouldn’t be able to use either computers…)

After edit

Yeh I can see how it can be handy but I can also view it as highly unnecessary.

My main message stands focus on one rig at a time

(What programs you using?)

Edited by mack

yes..also i have a brother (same age as me) he does game (plays BFBC2 and others L4D etc) so building a "backup" rig for me from cheap componts by spending $800 or so isnt such a bad idea...

as for the monitor ive already go money set aside for it and the PC anyway thats why im looking at this one,also with my current rig once i add the 9800Gx2 to it there will be a massive bottleneck anyway....so ill have to get another PSU (my current one doesnt have 8 pin +6pin cables)

and getting stuff on the cheap is good..

yes..also i have a brother (same age as me) he does game (plays BFBC2 and others L4D etc) so building a "backup" rig for me from cheap componts by spending $800 or so isnt such a bad idea...

as for the monitor ive already go money set aside for it and the PC anyway thats why im looking at this one,also with my current rig once i add the 9800Gx2 to it there will be a massive bottleneck anyway....so ill have to get another PSU (my current one doesnt have 8 pin +6pin cables)

and getting stuff on the cheap is good..

Ok I see why but you should still focus on the one build.

You have a bit of cash to spend don’t you (“Cheap components” then you go on to state around $800 I wouldn’t exactly call it a cheap build [inc peripherals?])

(So this rig is mainly for your brother’s use? “I also have a brother he plays games so building a “Backup” rig for me….” I think you meant for him)

Funny I am actually going to build another rig around the same price mark after Christmas for the family.

what programs are you using?

Can you please spend a few seconds reading over what you say befor you post it.

(I am terrible at grammar and spelling)

im going to build it after xmas only get the pieces now (as they are avaiable) is better then waiting when they will not be...but i will be building a i7 rig first (in the xmas hols)..and the $800 rig is not including peripherals (he/i have those)

the programs im using is stuff like 3ds max,maya,photoshop/other adobe programs so they require are fair bit of grunt over your average user...and the $800 for the backup/bros rig is just a guessemate (im going off ebay prices)..

also i can use the rig as a "render whore"...

hope that claifed everything..

Edited by jdog

oh my god, make up your mind. Really, spending another $800 on a separate backup computer is completely pointless. Spend the extra $800 on your own rig, and stop buying entire computers for your brother. Be a little selfish =D.

seriously though, with that extra money you could go tri-sli, or custom watercooling, or a nicer case. So much more could be done rather than spend it on a computer for backup made of completely old and last gen parts.