Sign in to follow this  
Taranthor

Samsung Galaxy Tablet

Well this tablet is being released on monday here.

Specs Below

- Dimensions: 7.5 inches long x 4.75 inches wide x 0.5 inches thick

- Weight: 0.83 pounds

- Screen: 7 inches, 1024x600 resolution, multi-touch TFT

- Operating System: Android 2.2 (Froyo)

- Connectivity: Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n), 3G HSPA, A-GPS, Bluetooth 3.0

- Applications: Android Market, Samsung Apps

- Processor: ARM Cortex A8 1GHz with PowerVR SGX540

- Battery: 4,000mAh (up to seven hours of movie playback)

- Cameras: Front-facing 1.3-megapixel webcam; rear-facing 3.0-megapixel with autofocus, LED flash, 720x480/30fps video recording

- Video Playback: Up to 1080p; codec support for DivX, XviD, Mpeg-4, H.263, H.264

- Audio Playback: Codec support for MP3, AAC, OGG, WMA, AMR-NB/WB, FLAC, WAV, AC3, MIDI, RTTTL/RTX, OTA, i-Melody, SP-MIDI

- Memory: 16GB or 32GB, with expansion via microSD

Posted Image

Price is $999 outright.

Only one plan has leaked so far

Optus : $0 upfront, $59 Cap. 10-20Gb data (On/Off Peak)

Anyone planning on getting one?

I've already pre-registered through the optus site (I have a galaxy s so got the SMS for preference)

Edited by Taranthor

Nice tablet, not so nice price-tag.

With a subsidised cap plan, the price tag is irrelevant though.

Edited by Taranthor

I tend to buy stuff outright. IMO, a tablet shouldn't cost more than a decent netbook.

What benefit do you get from buying it outright?

All I can see is that you are paying an unnecessary cost, for no appreciable benefit.

GSMA has reviewed it already

Based on that, and mostly because the screen is unimpressive (I'd be using it a great deal for video) I reckon $999 is just too much. Expecting AMOLED is unrealistic, but Samsung of all companies should be able to come up with a decent LCD!

Having said that, I've never seen a 20GB wireless data package before. I do wonder what "Data cap plus" means - the Optus site isn't reallly helpful there. Even if it doesn't include any voice, $59/month is pretty bloody good for that kind of cap + device IMHO. Assuming you didn't need to store anything locally, would make a great primary Internet device - and you could use the SIM in a USB wireless modem if you needed to.

I have 1GB a month for $5 on a spare SIM. I don't want to sign a 2 year contract when I can use that, but the outright price is just fucking stupid compared to an iPad with a IMO better screen (4:3).

*sigh

I tend to buy stuff outright. IMO, a tablet shouldn't cost more than a decent netbook.

What benefit do you get from buying it outright?

All I can see is that you are paying an unnecessary cost, for no appreciable benefit.

If it gets broken, stolen, becomes useless (to me), or I come into hard times with money; i'm not stuck in a stupid contract.

I'm the same. Outright or go home.

The only time I didnt was when mum washed my phone, she give me the cash for a new one. I realised, the cost was only $50 less than the full contract term. So i went on contract and just credited my account for the $300

FWIW, for me it's the opposite: I feel more comfortable in the event of theft or accident or happenstance if I'm on contract with insurance. Case in point: somehow my N95 8GB got stolen in a movie theatre - immediately took the necessary steps (contacted Voda first for instructions of course) - they b& the phone/sim and set the wheels in motion. Three business days later I had a brand new, identical phone charging on my desk. Restored my backed-up contacts/notes/etc and two weeks later my dog chewed it. It was still good, so I continued to use it although I could arguably have made another claim (you can make up to two per year).

Edited by thesorehead

I think it's a great alternative to the ipad, but still suffers from 1st gen specs.

you reckon I could get one, and whack a prepaid NextG SIM into it? I don't want a particular data plan, I'm happy with the prepaid option.

I do :) its surprisingly faster than my galaxy s.

I knew that froyo would have made some speed increases but thought the higher resolution would offset that, but it seems not to be.

There is a little motion ghosting in the screen that I've noticed, but I'm not too fused about that.

Vodaphone want in on the Galaxy Tab market too

16GB model. Not much more information yet. Interested in pricing of course.

Vodafone pricing as per ZDnet.

Press release on the Voda AU website confirms availability in store Fri 12th and online from Monday.

10GB / mth @ $29 + $26 Device repayment looks like a sweet spot that just pips the other players.

"rear-facing 3.0-megapixel camera"

Why have a smaller camera on the bigger version?

Weird, considering HTC Trophy 7 has 5M camera in it. OK, quality is pretty crap compared to my real Canon camera but you'd think anything under 5Mpixel is a bit stingy.

Very seriously considering this, I have been sold on the tablet idea for some time now because I love to have media on the go and I prefer the android route rather than the apple one.

Quick question if you have time taranthor, how large is the text in the music player in portrait mode? If its smaller can you alter the size? I have plans to install a cradle in my car so I can just slot it in and use it for media the same way I used to use my N97 and currently use my Ipod, having seemingly larger buttons would make the whole affair slightly easier, although I would cope just fine anyway.