Sign in to follow this  
g0t.w00t?

Trying to help a friend

So a mate of mine has had a LOT of problems with motherboards lately in his new 1366 build.

He had to RMA a Gigabye board twice (ud3r rev2) due to ram slots being borked, now he has an ASUS P6X58D-E and the ram still only registers 4 of his 6 gig.

He has changed the ram, all good. He is seriously pissed off at this predicament. The store he bought from only offers store credit, not a cash refund (which sounds suspect to me).

Any ideas how to help him out?

edit - he changed RAM from kingston to gskill, still no go. CPU reseated multiple times in each board.

Edited by g0t.w00t?

this is a common problem from what I have read on the net my advice would be:

-reseat his cpu

-make sure the ram is in the correct memory bank

-flash the bios

-make sure hes using 64bit windows

Not sure what their laws are regarding returns but in Australia he would be legally entitled to a refund.

this is a common problem from what I have read on the net my advice would be:

-reseat his cpu

-make sure the ram is in the correct memory bank

-flash the bios

-make sure hes using 64bit windows

Not sure what their laws are regarding returns but in Australia he would be legally entitled to a refund.

yeah, he's done everything except bios flash. might walk him through it when he gets back online

the memory controller is in the uncore section yes? (i don't have my i7 yet, and have never oc'd one)

would it perhaps be of benefit to try a small voltage increase to that/cpu to see if it stabilizes?

The store cant remove a customers rights by having a store policy. AFAIK If the product does not do what its intended to, than a refund can be asked for within a reasonable time related to life of product.

Hope this helps.

I have the same board, also using Gskill Trident 6Gb 2000mhz kit.

The system wont post in the blue slots, put them in the white and presto! we had lift off.