Sign in to follow this  
Dan_2

Farcry 2 Out Now

should have mentioned, that 4870X2 framerate is terrible, it must be a driver or game bug.

im running a 8800gts 640mb, and on 1680X1050, everything on very high (no aa) i get 33fps average during the long benchmark.

I get 61 average on ultra high, i fail to see your point...

1680x1050, Ultra Settings with 4xaa.

CPU clocked at 4.2ghz(e8600)

4870x2

Rig is in my sig.

*EDIT* Bench results from a few pages back.

# Average Framerate: 61.42

# Max. Framerate: 96.06

# Min. Framerate: 41.38

Thats for the short ranch, long ranch is:

# Average Framerate: 65.59

# Max. Framerate: 128.09 (Frame:1656, 16.69s)

# Min. Framerate: 30.33 (Frame:8715, 124.66s)

The drop to 30 is when it passes through the fire. -.-

nukejoke, I think the 'point' is WE aren't getting that.

I dont WANT to play at 16 something crap by 10 something boring. I want full 24 inch res at ultra high. I should have playable rates at this res.

My system should eat this game. Obviously it's too new, or not fully supported yet, or may even even be a combination of things in conjunction with the X2.

Thanks for the constructive input though, I'll be sure to use it to improve my game. :P

At the minute, I'm loving the game, and it's core concept, just not so much the performance, so I'll wait till the first round of patches untill I pass final judgment, cept on you and your awesome comments.

I need sleep I think...

Finally managed to play a few hours of it last night and I must say, im hooked!

Still needs a few tweaks/fixes (FOV, frame rate stutter etc) but other than that its fine

Easily a 8.5/10 from me (so far)

EDIT: my average frame rate is ~45 w/ everything on high, 2 x AA, 1920x1200.

Dasa is getting similar frames to me and he is using 1920x1200, maybe its user error :P

Touche Nukester..

Maybe its a quad core thing?

The Dual core boys seem to be getting better framerates...

Version 3 of the FOV hack tool is now out http://wsgfmedia.com/uploads/paddywak/scre...ry2/fc2FOV3.zip

Thanks for this, what FOV settings are you using - it seems to suggest for 16:10 you could use X FOV: 1.31, Y FOV: 1.253 - I have no idea what these numbers really mean. I'm playing on a 24" monitor and have noticed that the default FOV is 'weird', almost made me consider swapping monitors because it is uncomfortable to play...

One other issue I've had is severe mouse lag - switched back to DX9 from DX10 and the lag all but dissapeared...

I've only briefly played the game this last few days since it was available, so haven't settled on a favourite setting.

TBH, I've got a Crysis game in progress for the last week which I've been playing 20-40 minute sessions on occasionally, and just seem to favour that.

I think I have to give this one time to grow on me... even Far Cry I didn't think much of initially so far as gameplay's concerned, as it felt weird compared to what I was used to.

I cant see FC2 exceeding the first on my favourites list, but with luck patches and mods will become available to at least make the game somewhat more playable/enjoyable.

Version 3 of the FOV hack tool is now out http://wsgfmedia.com/uploads/paddywak/scre...ry2/fc2FOV3.zip

Thanks for this, what FOV settings are you using - it seems to suggest for 16:10 you could use X FOV: 1.31, Y FOV: 1.253 - I have no idea what these numbers really mean. I'm playing on a 24" monitor and have noticed that the default FOV is 'weird', almost made me consider swapping monitors because it is uncomfortable to play...

One other issue I've had is severe mouse lag - switched back to DX9 from DX10 and the lag all but dissapeared...

i noticed that a bit on my rig at home. ill try putting it back to DX9 and see what happens. that MIGHT fix my crashes too, but i doubt it.

also, that command line to set the maxfps to 30 doesnt help my micro stuttering. lame.

Dasa is getting similar frames to me and he is using 1920x1200, maybe its user error :P

Touche Nukester..

Maybe its a quad core thing?

The Dual core boys seem to be getting better framerates...

My system is fairly modest, but I'm getting better frames than what you described earlier. Bench results in 1920x1200, DX10, Ultra settings, no AA, were average around 40, up to 60, but down to about 30. For almost the whole bench (Ranch medium) they were 40+ though.

Specs are:

Gigabyte something-something DQ6

E6600 @ 3.2ghz

4gb DDR2 ram at... can't remember but faster than stock

8800 GTX (stock speeds)

Vista Home Premium 32 bit

So I reckon you should be getting much more than you are with your specs.

Dasa's rig is a Quad core, so I dont think its that, could be driver conflicts I dunno? But i noticed a big difference between 8.10 betas/8.10 and the AMD/ATI FC2 Hotfix drivers...

Set Max FPS to 50 (30 is smooth but if you think you rig should push more than 30 it should but set to 45-50)

I have set my res down from 1920x1200 to 1600 x 1050(?) and I get 3 or 4 FPS lower than the 45-50 I get on 19X12.

I have read many times (please god someone confirm) than a 4870X2 running less than 19x12 is going to be a paperweight all online

bench's I have seen make this reasonably clear. The is no discernible visual difference in my mind (between 16x10 and 19X12)I just get lower frames at lower res because the X2 is laughing at me for not poking it in the ribs with pretty things to display.

I am going to try 800x600 tonight and see if I can lock it at 60FPS

Set Max FPS to 50 (30 is smooth but if you think you rig should push more than 30 it should but set to 45-50)

I have set my res down from 1920x1200 to 1600 x 1050(?) and I get 3 or 4 FPS lower than the 45-50 I get on 19X12.

I have read many times (please god someone confirm) than a 4870X2 running less than 19x12 is going to be a paperweight all online

bench's I have seen make this reasonably clear. The is no discernible visual difference in my mind (between 16x10 and 19X12)I just get lower frames at lower res because the X2 is laughing at me for not poking it in the ribs with pretty things to display.

I am going to try 800x600 tonight and see if I can lock it at 60FPS

I've heard that too, but from what I understand you shouldnt lose frames going down resolution, just that you shouldnt lose them going up? When I can afford a 24" monitor I'm gonna get one and I guess I can finally see for myself, but for now its 1680x1050 or nothing =(

mine just crashes after about 1/2 to 1 hrs game play but i havent run it in DX9 though which seems to be the only thing that i have changed.

i get a solid 45fps at 16*10

running a q6600 at 3ghz

and a 4870 x2 at stock

I have been playing on multiplayer a bit and a played a few hours of single player and never had any problems with crashing. It wasnt my cuppa tea so ive now given the game to my bro who loves it and he is playing on similar hardware to yours without any problems.

Whats the crash message, BSOD or just a frozen screen?

initial impressions...

Its not crysis :( not even close.

gradual impressions. it grows on you, but Ubisoft Montreal is still suffering from consolitis, most noticable in POP:TTT, and while is in remission Farcry2 still carries the taint, sluggish controls, poorer than normal graphics.

Farcry2 is a good game, its engrossing, open ended and free roaming. the weapons are varied and the jamming and upgrading adds RPG flair to an FPS. but its not a successor to FarCry, so it should not be named as such. Call it anything but FarCry and it would be a hit.

Its irritating how i cannot drive anywhere without every dumb bastard in the sahara shooting at me and chasing me down like they have nothing better to do with their time. buddy system could do with a better introduction and explaination of the benefits your buddy gives you.

final thoughts.

this is not FarCry... its

Posted Image

http://www.wegame.com/watch/Far_Cry_2_Tanker_Explosion_V2/

I am a reasonable way past here now I just have been messing with Fraps and trying to get the res / Frames to record well. Sneak rocket attacks from much further away totally the most fun ever. Fire 4 Grenades directly up in the air outside a gaurd post then wander in shoot some flares to burn the place and watch the grenades land on the ground.

The first time I fired grenades from the scoped grenade launcher up I thought they just blew up in the air. You can fire 4 grenades then 4 RPGs and all 4 RPGs will land before the grenades.

The Grenade launcher shot straight up takes 15 seconds to land WOW. Mortars Rock too :P

Okay I give up how the crap do I add weapons to the custom map I made.

I need a grenade launcher and a rocket launcher and a mortor... Soo much exploding is about to happen Golf Style

The help is terrible!

*EDIT*

Add to that how do I load my level with the weapons full in game style to test?

I can actually load my level where are the custom maps saved...