ihateh

Fractal Design Define R3, alternatives?

Please help me decide on a new case!

I like the Fractal for its design and the reviews around say it's silent, or something like that.

I worry that there isn't enough airflow in this case so eventually adding a 140mm fan on its side or a 120mm on its front would be the next move.

And how about dust filtering?

The system: Intel E8500 3.15Ghz, Gainward GTX460 Goes Like Hell, 3 hard disks plus dvd burner.

Thanks in advance.

its a great case if you want low noise and the two 120mm fans should be plenty to keep your system cool

i have a r2 here with q9450 5770 74g raptor and a 320g 7200rpm

its running nice and cool much quieter than the old case to

if you want to overclock the gpu or look at sli it would probably be worth adding a side fan or at least another front fan

are you still using stock hsf on the cpu?

Its a nice case, you won't be disappointed ;)

see here for more R3 goodness http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...mp;#entry727530

just one example of nessies awsome building skills and how sick that case is....

Your knees must be sore from that.

R2 /R3 is a sweet case im using it currently its nice and cool just watch for the cable grommets as they come off really easy.

Lancool K60/62's have filters and a lot of fans and are rather quiet too. Just food for thought.

Amazing to work with. Totally tooless down to the fans.

Edited by turk

Thanks to all of you guys for your time and help :))

Dasa: I won't ever overclock (still have stock hsf) because what I save on CPU $$$ I'll spend on cooling or even more. I don't know why people don't understand this.

But I guess you know that the Gainward GLH is highly overclocked also the nVidia GTX460 seems to heat a lot!

I think I'll take your suggestion (to be safe) but I'll add the 140mm bottom fan (it should be quieter than the front 120mm fan).

Could you please suggest me a "quite" one?

LogicprObe: That white one is just too sexy!

Unfortunately my monitor and dvd burner are black so I should keep all the same.

Please tell me which brand/model fan you used at the bottom?

nesquick: Thanks for link and for sharing your work and experience, unfortunately I'm not that same "Fractured" so my system is much more modest. :))

I looked at the Noiseblocker PK3 140mm. Maybe with your system you had to compromise between power and quietness, so will I be able to control the speed of this fan with the Fractal's controller? Is this fan really quite?

turk: The Lankool series seems more oriented to gamers and enthusiasts whom don't care much about the quality and the material (cheap crappy plastic) used as long as they can play high addict games! :))

In my opinion the Lankool K62 should be sold around $110/120 because the CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced beat it for more value added although being cheaper!

PS Side note to Asus and generally all motherboard manufactures: the bloody pcie slots are always too closed to the vga slot, my mobo got 2 pcie which the first is "unusable" with a common video card as well as the second because the Gainward (like others) use bigger fans!

Shame on you guys!

dont follow your logic on overclocking im afraid since a $39 hsf should get you close to 4ghz safe enough which will allow that cpu to better keep up with modern tech delaying the need to spend more upgrading and giving you much better performance in the mean time

one of these fans should do the job

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14762

dont follow your logic on overclocking im afraid since a $39 hsf should get you close to 4ghz safe enough which will allow that cpu to better keep up with modern tech delaying the need to spend more upgrading and giving you much better performance in the mean time

one of these fans should do the job

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=14762

Well if I can overclock my 3.15Ghz Pentium to 4Ghz (and be safe and stable), then I totally agree with you!

I like the Noiseblocker, I'll update on my order.

Cheers.

The fractal R3 is a very nice case. Considering that the hyper 212+ is only $39, it is very impressive. I am currently running both and would definitely recommend them.

The fractal R3 is a very nice case. Considering that the hyper 212+ is only $39, it is very impressive. I am currently running both and would definitely recommend them.

$39 plus brackets $6.50 plus delivery.

I don't understand why the brackets are sold as "accessory" it's like you buy a new car and you've to buy the wheels a part!

Edited by ihateh

turk: The Lankool series seems more oriented to gamers and enthusiasts whom don't care much about the quality and the material (cheap crappy plastic) used as long as they can play high addict games! :))

In my opinion the Lankool K62 should be sold around $110/120 because the CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced beat it for more value added although being cheaper!

PS Side note to Asus and generally all motherboard manufactures: the bloody pcie slots are always too closed to the vga slot, my mobo got 2 pcie which the first is "unusable" with a common video card as well as the second because the Gainward (like others) use bigger fans!

Shame on you guys!

The plastics used by Lancool are strong plastics (nevermind lighter than cheapie steel cases) and the case is entirely toolless. If you find steel/(good) plastic bad then your budget is wrong and you need a lot more money for aluminium. The number of times I've removed pieces and replaced them and nothing's broken. The pci-e holders are full aluminium too. Best clipping system i've used. Dunno how you call that low quality but if you feel it's an inferior case - that's up to you. Cases are very personal after all.

Don't get me wrong. I think R3's seem to be great cases. I'd rather have a fullly toolless case than an R3 for what seems to be similar build quality (never used an R3 but heard great things). The K60 also comes nearly fully fanned up - 2 top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, 1 front intake. :p (I'm lazy like that).

Because the Lancool is fully toolless and fans/hdds are on rubber grommets it is priced somewhat higher accordingly. Useful if you tinker or break stuff like I do :p All I hear is the slight low frequency whoosh from my top exhaust fans pushing out through the grille.

EDIT: U12PSE's are rather good. I can't hear my U12P at all inside my K60. I can barely hear the thing with the sides off.

Edited by turk

$39 plus brackets $6.50 plus delivery.

I don't understand why the brackets are sold as "accessory" it's like you buy a new car and you've to buy the wheels a part!

I don't understand what you mean by 'plus brackets'? And with delivery, you'd get it in the same order as the r3, or depending where you live, you may be able to pick it up.

The hyper 212+ is a great value hsf. Have a look at the review here (it also reviews a few other hsf's):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-11...tsink,2535.html

Fantastic case man, I got one myself, was absolutely a dream to build with, its quiet and theres heaps of airflow

Only REAL alternative is the Antec P183/P193

Id say the Fractal is better value though

Unfortunately my monitor and dvd burner are black so I should keep all the same.

Sorry about the late reply.

Anyware has the fans to fit so whoever you order a Fractal off can get the fans as well.

http://www.anyware.com.au/CFAN-FDSS140.aspx

You can order extra 120mm matching fans at the same time.

http://www.anyware.com.au/CFAN-FDSS120.aspx

Sorry about the late reply.

Anyware has the fans to fit so whoever you order a Fractal off can get the fans as well.

http://www.anyware.com.au/CFAN-FDSS140.aspx

You can order extra 120mm matching fans at the same time.

http://www.anyware.com.au/CFAN-FDSS120.aspx

Thank you,

I was just looking at the 140mm Fractal fan, manufacturer say "noise 9 dBA" (and less airflow) it seems much much silent than the other products.

However, today I went to see the R3 (before I buy it) in a shop but I'm worrying the guy there was so dodgy.

Maybe they got the old Fractal model and sell it as "R3" but I've been left so disappointed to see that around the front fan there is a "huge" gap.

Yes there's the filter but plenty room all around it for the dust to go through!

Could you please or anyone else who got this case to confirm this or it's the dodgy seller who did something wrong?

Fantastic case man, I got one myself, was absolutely a dream to build with, its quiet and theres heaps of airflow

Only REAL alternative is the Antec P183/P193

Id say the Fractal is better value though

I endorse this posts contributions and conclusions.

I just finished a build for a mate using an R3 and it looked great. I don't remember seeing a 'huge' gap though.

However if it was me going for a cool, silent, sexy case; it would be this:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=13943

I'm picking one up myself closer to xmas!

You kill me.... that is a $249 case! LOL

But if you're interested, I saw one today in city (not sure if 100% same model but it looks that one) they sell for $190, maybe they want to get rid of it.

PM me if this sounds good for your pocket :)

R3 has a reset button inside the front door above the fans.

That huge gap around the front fans is where they suck the air in from the side vents.

(I'm looking at an R2 though, because that's what I have. I've built 2 R3's lately though but have none here)