ihateh

Fractal Design Define R3, alternatives?

R3 has a reset button inside the front door above the fans.

That huge gap around the front fans is where they suck the air in from the side vents.

(I'm looking at an R2 though, because that's what I have. I've built 2 R3's lately though but have none here)

I know the problem in the dorm room so too much dust will go through them, the huge gaps just have no filter!

Perhaps it seems to me that manufacturers have still not realised (and so under valuated) the damage that the dust can do inside a case.

Time to look for another case?

You kill me.... that is a $249 case! LOL

But if you're interested, I saw one today in city (not sure if 100% same model but it looks that one) they sell for $190, maybe they want to get rid of it.

PM me if this sounds good for your pocket :)

I know it seems expensive but i figure a case like that needs nothing added to it and will last many an upgrade.

A $150 R3 plus $50 worth of extra fans plus extra for dust filters etc would be getting close to the FT02 price anyhow.

But the R3 did impress me straight out of the box. It just looked brilliant. Wow factor for sure.

More than my current K60 anyhow.

Edit:

I just tried to PM you but it says you have it disabled. I am keen on a $190 FT02 if you know where one is

Thanks heaps mate

Edited by roger explosion

You kill me.... that is a $249 case! LOL

But if you're interested, I saw one today in city (not sure if 100% same model but it looks that one) they sell for $190, maybe they want to get rid of it.

PM me if this sounds good for your pocket :)

I know it seems expensive but i figure a case like that needs nothing added to it and will last many an upgrade.

A $150 R3 plus $50 worth of extra fans plus extra for dust filters etc would be getting close to the FT02 price anyhow.

But the R3 did impress me straight out of the box. It just looked brilliant. Wow factor for sure.

More than my current K60 anyhow.

Edit:

I just tried to PM you but it says you have it disabled. I am keen on a $190 FT02 if you know where one is

Thanks heaps mate

Yet I agree with you but that Silverstone it's just too big for my desk.

Sure you don't want it for $190?? :))

Currently valuating the Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced.

Maybe it's not very silent, isn't?

R3 has a reset button inside the front door above the fans.

That huge gap around the front fans is where they suck the air in from the side vents.

(I'm looking at an R2 though, because that's what I have. I've built 2 R3's lately though but have none here)

I know the problem in the dorm room so too much dust will go through them, the huge gaps just have no filter!

Perhaps it seems to me that manufacturers have still not realised (and so under valuated) the damage that the dust can do inside a case.

Time to look for another case?

The filters are inside the doors where the fans mount.

I think you're looking at the wrong case.

Yet I agree with you but that Silverstone it's just too big for my desk.

Sure you don't want it for $190?? :))

Currently valuating the Coolermaster HAF912 Advanced.

Maybe it's not very silent, isn't?

Yeah mate i'd love it! Where is it?

The fans on the HAF would be quiet due to their large size, but i'm a fan of cases with sound-proofing.

IMO: R3 > HAF912

Although you could pick up some of this and make any case quieter:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12992

Yeah mate i'd love it! Where is it?

The fans on the HAF would be quiet due to their large size, but i'm a fan of cases with sound-proofing.

IMO: R3 > HAF912

Although you could pick up some of this and make any case quieter:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12992

I was unable to send you a message, by the way the shop in on 398 Lonsdale St. tel. 96424252, they might only got 1 :)

The noise reduction foam will increase the final budget so as you explained it's better spend now more and get top case like the Silverstone instead of buying a mid class case and adding more gadgets to make it more usable.

lol why people waste time with those crazy FT02 cases I will never know... should pay the extra and get a Corsair 600T or 700D.

lol why people waste time with those crazy FT02 cases I will never know... should pay the extra and get a Corsair 600T or 700D.

I agree, since the 600T came out the silverstone raven and fortress series look shit.

to OP: Mate I think you should just really think hard, look at reviews for a few cases around your budget, think hard some more and then decide on which case will suit you. A good case will last through several upgrades you just need to find the right one that you can admire its looks and also has good cooling and quality. The r3, HAF and the ft02 will all be great airflow cases, but which looks the best to you? It'd be worth it to spend more time reading and also more $$ on something that you like since as I said the case will last a long time.

Thanks very much for input, at least from a non Fractal fan :))

Yet by looking at the R2/R3 on the web they look beautifully (Photoshop art??), great reviews (huge marketing push), people seem love it and I understand and agree as cases' design nowadays is part of the budget, but when I touched it with my hands and saw those "huge" not filtered holes..... well I wouldn't pay its price or at least the Australian price (see import duties).

Again it seems a good case but not to me, personal feeling.

I'm more than happy to spend more but I want more and good quality, the Corsair looks a good input thanks.

well you saw the build I did in an R3 that was coming from someone who has used it (the R3) I would prefer a Corsair 600T or 700D anyday of the week its just I have to pay the bills ect so yea had to make a compromise.

I agree, since the 600T came out the silverstone raven and fortress series look shit.

to OP: Mate I think you should just really think hard, look at reviews for a few cases around your budget, think hard some more and then decide on which case will suit you. A good case will last through several upgrades you just need to find the right one that you can admire its looks and also has good cooling and quality. The r3, HAF and the ft02 will all be great airflow cases, but which looks the best to you? It'd be worth it to spend more time reading and also more $$ on something that you like since as I said the case will last a long time.

I fully agree,

during the years I have had chance to buy different cases for customers and my self, Thermaltake Soprano (and variants), Antec Sonata (and variants), Coolermaster T05 (and variants), and have seen many like the Lancool series (very low budget from Lian Li), the Fractal R2/R3 etc. etc. all seem low/mid budged cases to my personal opinion.

Yet I'll spend more time in research then I'll make the choice but I must touch with my hands first!

Yet by looking at the R2/R3 on the web they look beautifully (Photoshop art??), great reviews (huge marketing push), people seem love it and I understand and agree as cases' design nowadays is part of the budget, but when I touched it with my hands and saw those "huge" not filtered holes..... well I wouldn't pay its price or at least the Australian price (see import duties).

There are no unfiltered holes except for a small vent at the rear near the graphic card slots.

There are no unfiltered holes except for a small vent at the rear near the graphic card slots.

There's a place where I can see and touch the R3?

As I said the shop I went to the guy seemed dodgy (surely incompetent) to me thus the front case had those huge openings both sides of the front fans.

That's to suck air in and there are separate filters covering the fans.

Maybe I'm not good enough to explain the issue but yet that's to suck the air in, then what about the dust?

Maybe you don't mind but I do.

Maybe I'm not good enough to explain the issue but yet that's to suck the air in, then what about the dust?

You clearly have no understanding of how the case or airflow works.

The filters in the front of mine are due for cleaning after about 3 months.

Obviously, they are doing their job.

You clearly have no understanding of how the case or airflow works.

The filters in the front of mine are due for cleaning after about 3 months.

Obviously, they are doing their job.

Obviously you didn't read my previous post and yet I know how the airflow works in a case.

I read your previous post which made me wonder if you've actually seen one or just looked at the photos on the net.

It's obvious you never opened the fan cages if you even opened the front door.

The filters stop the dust entering the case.

I read your previous post which made me wonder if you've actually seen one or just looked at the photos on the net.

It's obvious you never opened the fan cages if you even opened the front door.

The filters stop the dust entering the case.

You really didn't read my previous post!

If you really want to give your opinion in a thread, you should read it from the beginning!

i have been reading this and have come to the same conclusion as LogicprObe

this is the r2 but its much the same

see the grid for the two front 120mm fans there is a filter there for the dust

the slots in the side let air into these filters then to the fans then threw the case and out

Posted Image

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2010/01/1...2-case-review/1

if we are misunderstanding what you are saying perhaps you need to try explain it a bit better

edit

dam those filters do work well just had a look at the ones on my sisters case and its loaded already i guess it is sitting on carpet though

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

i have been reading this and have come to the same conclusion as LogicprObe

this is the r2 but its much the same

see the grid for the two front 120mm fans there is a filter there for the dust

the slots in the side let air into these filters then to the fans then threw the case and out

if we are misunderstanding what you are saying perhaps you need to try explain it a bit better

edit

dam those filters do work well just had a look at the ones on my sisters case and its loaded already i guess it is sitting on carpet though

Posted Image

Now it's clear and sorry for mixup, let me explain.

This is what I saw at the shop, there was a huge gap both sides of the installed fan.

Maybe they installed smaller fan, maybe Fractal different case version, I really dunno!

And what I was saying is that I explained this in my previous post and I said that I saw and touched the case with my hands (of course I opened the main door and fans' doors too) and I was left very disappointed by this issue.

So again, is anyone so kind to tell me where is a reliable shop so I can see the case?

There is no gap there.

I have this case. Its fucking great case. I clean the filters on the front every month and its back to business.

Get the case.

there is a bit of a gap there on mine but it dosent suck dust in there as the fans doing the sucking are strapped hard against the filter mesh

if the front filters became blocked creating negative pressure inside the case then dust could be sucked in there but any case will have gaps for dust to be sucked in if they have negative pressure like threw the optical drive and rear ports...