ihateh

Fractal Design Define R3, alternatives?

Ok so I just measured the "gap" Its 3mm.

I understand what you say and that 3mm isn't an issue for sure.

What I saw at the shop was something like 2/3cm side by side between fan and case.

The only think that comes to my mind is that they must pulled out the original fan and installed one smaller.

But again the guy at the shop seemed so incompetent to me "I think..... not sure.....we see" etc. etc.

there is a bit of a gap there on mine but it dosent suck dust in there as the fans doing the sucking are strapped hard against the filter mesh

if the front filters became blocked creating negative pressure inside the case then dust could be sucked in there but any case will have gaps for dust to be sucked in if they have negative pressure like threw the optical drive and rear ports...

This is the key.

As long as you had a positive pressure, there could only be a chance of a bit of warm air suck back through the fans rather than letting dust in.

The filters can't catch all the dust anyway so there'll always be some real fine bits get through.

The filters can't catch all the dust anyway so there'll always be some real fine bits get through.

I'm prepared for that and I always steal my mum collant stockings :P

Me too.

Do you prefer the red lipstick or the pink?

lol why people waste time with those crazy FT02 cases I will never know... should pay the extra and get a Corsair 600T or 700D.

Dude, I'm keen on the FT02 for the same reason many of us buy computer parts: You see it and say 'I want that in my life!'

The 700/800D look good and are well designed, but i worry a bit about their stock cooling. The 600T is more my style but i'd rather the FT02's positive pressure.

To the OP, you are talking to many R3 owners and you've probably done your research (reading reviews etc) so you're doing the right thing.

Just buy a case that covers every need you have and more importantly, one you just plain like! The R3 is a stellar choice.

Just buy a case that covers every need you have and more importantly, one you just plain like! The R3 is a stellar choice.

That's what many people don't understand, I'll accept any suggestion it can be from a fanboi or not but the last decision will come from my wallet.

Cheers.

Me too.

Do you prefer the red lipstick or the pink?

that cracked me up :)

Yeah mate i'd love it! Where is it?

The fans on the HAF would be quiet due to their large size, but i'm a fan of cases with sound-proofing.

IMO: R3 > HAF912

Although you could pick up some of this and make any case quieter:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=12992

I was unable to send you a message, by the way the shop in on 398 Lonsdale St. tel. 96424252, they might only got 1 :)

The noise reduction foam will increase the final budget so as you explained it's better spend now more and get top case like the Silverstone instead of buying a mid class case and adding more gadgets to make it more usable.

Got an email reply from the shop. The case in question is actually an RV02 (a case very similar in design), not the FT02 I want.

Thanks heaps for the heads up though mate.

Made a decision on your case yet?

Got an email reply from the shop. The case in question is actually an RV02 (a case very similar in design), not the FT02 I want.

Thanks heaps for the heads up though mate.

Made a decision on your case yet?

Well I don't know much the difference between these 2 models but I like the idea of the 3 big fans on the bottom case :)

I might get a Coolermaster CM Storm Scout which Coolermaster in my opinion is still unbeatable for offer/price, yet I don't like the idea to spend more on a product which came from Europe and so its cost includes added duties.

I found the case in the OP looked just like the Antec P180 :P

You could be right 100% that's isn't too bad, but unfortunately I got a bad experience with a previous Antec (dodgy support) I bought and I had to sell at mid price to get rid of it, after that I decided "no more" Antec in my purchases.

my quick 5 cents. great case.

Which one?

Well from looking at his sig the R2!

my quick 5 cents. great case.

Which one?

Well from looking at his sig the R2!

haha I missed it.

But nobody has since been able to link me somewhere I can see and "touch" the Fractal.

We all bought them online. Not many places are going to just stock cases.

If you have to touch the case before you buy it your going to be waiting a long time.

I found the case in the OP looked just like the Antec P180 :P

You could be right 100% that's isn't too bad, but unfortunately I got a bad experience with a previous Antec (dodgy support) I bought and I had to sell at mid price to get rid of it, after that I decided "no more" Antec in my purchases.

Antec cases are made of steel how could you need support unless you threw it off the roof or something?

Antec cases are made of steel how could you need support unless you threw it off the roof or something?

that would make for an interesting benchmark.. Which case can keep its components still running when dropped 4 metres onto concrete? Definately sounds do-able! more do-able then 'will it blend'.

I know that the Scythe Fenris case I want would crumble like cow dung.

Edited by Acintai

that would make for an interesting benchmark.. Which case can keep its components still running when dropped 4 metres onto concrete? Definately sounds do-able! more do-able then 'will it blend'.

I know that the Scythe Fenris case I want would crumble like cow dung.

Well this Mac definitely fails: