Got an adata 16Gb C702.

It's just a typical USB key.

I have a few questions about USB keys - but just in case any problems were specific to this make -I thought I'd say what I've got.

Anyway - I can't move really big files onto it. i.e 8Gb files. Is this a limitation of USB keys ?

Also - I've found when transporting RARs via this - CRC errors aren't that uncommon.

So does this mean

1. The USB key is dodgy ?

2. I'm doing something wrong ?

3. This is a common thing ?

Thanks

i think the file size issue is because of the filesystem (im guessing you are using fat) and i dunno bout the rest

Most flash-based media comes preformatted as the FAT filesystem, be it FAT16 or FAT32, or whatever.

This is because the FAT filesystems, as fucking atrocious as they are, are widely supported on pretty much every in-use operating system out there.

I believe the filesize limit for FAT is 2GB.

If you want to use larger files, you'll have to format it with a less retarded filesystem. NTFS will probably be your best bet, but this will limit you to Windows machines, plus limited/no support on other operating systems.

ext2 would be a better choice, but you won't be able to use ext2 formatted disks o nWindows without first installing a third party fs driver.

I believe the filesize limit for FAT is 2GB.

4gb actually.

1. The USB key is dodgy ?

Nope just formatted wrong.

Open up a command prompt, and type:

CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS

where driveletter = the letter of your USB key.

2. I'm doing something wrong ?

Nope. While in command prompt it may be worth running:

chkdsk driveletter /f

This will check the disk for errors and per chance it is faulty, this will tell you.

3. This is a common thing ?

The CRC errors unfortunately can be. Im yet to figure out a true cause for it, however I find when reading large files in a single operation over USB they can pop up. It doesnt need to be a single file either, if i copy a 10gb folder of DVDs it'll likely happen after the first one completes.

As i said, yet to figure out why....

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/...1251782,00.html

That dude touches on possible reasons, but once again, nothing in stone. Hopefully with a better filesystem and a chkdsk to make sure its not faulty, the thing should just work anyway.

If you're getting LOTS of CRC errors, I'd investigate the possibility that the stick MAY be faulty.

You should be certain, however, that the CRC errors didn't exist before the files went on to the stick.

Once you're sure this is the case, run chkdsk with /R instead of /F, to perform a surface scan (ala DOS' Scandisk).

I'd personally RMA it.