Sign in to follow this  
SHADOWofmyformerself

802.11 N Modem Routers?

Hey all it's time to upgrade the home network from a Netgear DG834Gv3.

I'm thinking of can anyone recommend a good dual band N modem router?

Or would I be better off with a stand alone modem and then choosing the router separately?

The reason for upgrading is streaming video from and backups to my new Home server.

I already have 802.11 N usb adaptors for two of the computers on the network if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Hey all it's time to upgrade the home network from a Netgear DG834Gv3.

I'm thinking of can anyone recommend a good dual band N modem router?

Or would I be better off with a stand alone modem and then choosing the router separately?

The reason for upgrading is streaming video from and backups to my new Home server.

I already have 802.11 N usb adaptors for two of the computers on the network if that makes any difference.

Thanks

I'm assuming you've tried to stream the content already over your current DG834Gv3? I've been able to stream the usual DivX on a DG834PN without a hassle.

I think it only matters when you start streaming HD content...

I could be wrong.

Can't recommend a particular model but I wouldn't bother getting a separate router and modem unless you were thinking of moving away from ADSL in the future. If you can't find a router/modem/AP/switch all in one unit to suit your needs then get an AP separately.

And if you want speed and reliability, avoid any type of wireless connection.

And if you want speed and reliability, avoid any type of wireless connection.

Hmm, a lot of people seem to think along the same lines.

But i've been using a wireless network at home for a year or so now and I havn't run into any troubles.

Yes it is true it is not as fast as a wired connection, but when you're only sharing an internet connection it is hardly an issue.

Plus there is the added bonus of there being no wires running around the house or through the walls. =P