Sign in to follow this  
mattstandingup

Thinking about Windows 7

Only had one myself since around March. I really don't know what did it - I couldn't make it happen again with all the same apps running.

I've had exactly two system freezes as well. Both of those were after an extended period with the screen powered down by the OS (mouse froze the system rather than waking it).

Applications have crashed rather more frequently than that, of course, but so far they've all the app freezes/blank screens/whatever have been cured by three finger salute and kill the process.

+1

although i ran prime 95 the other day, and its first worker failed after 2 passes. BAD.

second one went for hours b4 i killed it. error i got leads me to beleive ram or possibly my bodgy psu... it occasionally returns surge errors at startup.

INSTALLED

I'm using ultimate 64 and loving it.

I was big XP fan but now Windows 7 is it! Also got me Windows Mobile 7 :D

INSTALLED

Welcome to the Windows 7 bandwagon, hehe

I told you that you wouldn't regret it. ;)

nothing to see here...

Edited by kikz

Surprised more people don't just get a one year online technet sub - office + Win7 and none of the anxiety and what-ifs of Win7 OEM.

Because thats just as illegal as the bay with all the pirates?

Edit: That being said I have a tehcnet sub...

Edited by DiStOrTeD

How is it illegal? You pay MS, they let you download software for personal evaluative use. That's pretty different to paying for a fake copy on ebay.

Because thats just as illegal as the bay with all the pirates?

Edit: That being said I have a tehcnet sub...

How is it illegal? You pay MS, they let you download software for personal evaluative use. That's pretty different to paying for a fake copy on ebay.

Yea I thought that was a strange thing to say about Technet as well.

INSTALLED

Would we lie to you ;)

Only if there was money in doing it.

:-).

Big <3 for Win7. Used Vista H-P for a couple years and it was pretty good, TBH. Vista was no more hassle than XP, for me anyway.

But Win7 is definitely worth it. For me, it's mainly the interface and compatibility - I'll get around to downloading WinXP Mode this week sometime, but it's supposed to be pretty cool.

Start Menu and Control Panel searching are my favourite things they kept from Vista.

Libraries are great for DLNA and general organisation.

I love the little window resizing and moving tricks, especially for a dual-screen setup. At work I keep finding myself trying to pull fullscreened windows from one screen to another. And "shake-to-clear" is cute.

Also, I was considering Technet but was eligible for "itsnotcheating.com.au" so... yeah :--D

INSTALLED

Would we lie to you ;)

Only if there was money in doing it.

:-).

/banks my cheque from MS. :D

Win 7 is great. Unless your machine is ancient, or you're running some really old gear / software, I'd be putting Windows 7 on it. Even my netbook, that came with Win XP, now has Windows 7 on it!

Heck, I'm even running with UAC on these days, I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials, I love XP mode for some of the unique, (read: ancient), IDEs I have to use that refused to work in Vista and Win7 natively, and I love Visual Studio.

Microsoft have actually got all of their shit together finally!

Although I'm dreading their next iteration, (if history is anything to go by, it will only be a year or so away, and it will probably suck).

Windows 7 has the structure of a coloring in book.

You're not used to it. Once one gets used to Windows 7, it's lot better than XP.

Windows 7 has the structure of a coloring in book.

You keep using windows NT then!

One thing I should have prefaced; I still run classic.

Heck, I ran the 98 theme when I could, but now that classic is the only option, that's where I'm at.

Aero still hasn't grabbed me.

Oh, and I still think XP search was superior. I just can't 'get' the Vista and Win7 searches. Though it only takes a decent grep to surpass any built in solution, (I suggest paying the $30 each for WinGrep and Textpad).

Edited by Periander

With 7 and Vista not having Hardware accelerated sound still feeling ripped off.

With 7 and Vista not having Hardware accelerated sound still feeling ripped off.

So? Sound cards convert DirectSound API calls to OpenAL anyway. It has nothing to do with Vista or 7, it's actually DX10/DX11 which made the change, which makes sense since DirectSound is part of DirectX as the name suggests.

Put simply, it's a non issue.

One thing I should have prefaced; I still run classic.

Heck, I ran the 98 theme when I could, but now that classic is the only option, that's where I'm at.

Aero still hasn't grabbed me.

Oh, and I still think XP search was superior. I just can't 'get' the Vista and Win7 searches. Though it only takes a decent grep to surpass any built in solution, (I suggest paying the $30 each for WinGrep and Textpad).

Personally I found the searches in win 7 much faster and better than xp, as for running the 98 and then the classic theme, why ? Is it really that hard to find your way around a newer version of windows ? If so why on stay with win 98 or xp ? This is not really directed completely at you Periander, but more at those who seem afraid to try and explore the advantages of a new OS, and as a result try to make said OS into the clunky old windows of the past.

I just don't get it. :)

So? Sound cards convert DirectSound API calls to OpenAL anyway. It has nothing to do with Vista or 7, it's actually DX10/DX11 which made the change, which makes sense since DirectSound is part of DirectX as the name suggests.

Put simply, it's a non issue.

It still functions agreed but the quality is lost is this so ms can peddle that little console and all the incarnations that will follow finding a way to manipulate people and bringing back the monopoly, Why should this decline in pc quality "Games,Drivers,Functionality" just be accepted and excuses made and defended just because some cant see it does not mean its a NON ISSUE .

It still functions agreed but the quality is lost is this so ms can peddle that little console and all the incarnations that will follow finding a way to manipulate people and bringing back the monopoly, Why should this decline in pc quality "Games,Drivers,Functionality" just be accepted and excuses made and defended just because some cant see it does not mean its a NON ISSUE .

What quality loss? Sounds like you're just looking for reasons to peddle a silly conspiracy theory.