Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

Wew sold my cpu+mobo for $420. should recoup a nice chunk of the cost of this upgrade.

Still need SSD os drive, and GPU upgrade if the 6990 is any good

cool..post when you get all the parts.

$420? thats crazy! oh well...now i have wait till jan...

woot cant wait!

Me either, I'm gonna be pissed if it arrives before my 1366 Holddown plate does :/

that always seems to happen!

woot cant wait!

Me either, I'm gonna be pissed if it arrives before my 1366 Holddown plate does :/

In my perfect world, I wont have to open the stock cooler :P

woot cant wait!

you know the stock cooler is really not that bad, only becomes insufficient if you overclock past ~3.4ghz

woot cant wait!

you know the stock cooler is really not that bad, only becomes insufficient if you overclock past ~3.4ghz

I guess. I haven't touched air cooling in like.... over 5 years? it will be weird!

Well I have the gear, Whatever I ordered for the waterblock wasn't right, so I'll have to drop the stock cooler on ={

So I'm buying an Apogee XT block with 1366 mounts intact, then I'll be adding to my surplus blocks collection...

Swiffy Storm G4

Swiffy Apogee GTX

Swiffy MCW60 GPU block

Some old Danger Den GPU block.

lawl.

Well I have the gear, Whatever I ordered for the waterblock wasn't right, so I'll have to drop the stock cooler on ={

So I'm buying an Apogee XT block with 1366 mounts intact, then I'll be adding to my surplus blocks collection...

Swiffy Storm G4

Swiffy Apogee GTX

Swiffy MCW60 GPU block

Some old Danger Den GPU block.

lawl.

hahaha! i win, now you have to use the stock cooler nerr! you not using the mcw60 ey....

I know! I can't handle how shit air cooling is!

I'm running the XMP profile for the gkill RAM, so it bumped the blck up, and i knocked the multi back up to 23x

so I'm running about 3.3Ghz on stock v, stock cooling and it's sooooo boring!

I'll upload a couple of build pictures, nothing exciting cos I have to use this POS cooler.

good onya! you've finally taken the plunge - I've had my current i7 beast for about 2 years now, I've added a few things, but I'm still basically very happy with it - especially considering, that quite the opposite to public oppinion at the time, nothing's gone down much in price, except HDD's and DDR3.

I reckon I'll get at least another year out of it!

best thing I've invested in for years.

I'll really see what this platform is made of once I get my new block and can put the watercooling back on.

But holy shit, my PC is actually quiet without my NMB 100+cfm server fans from the rad!

I can now hear these things:

Raptors scratching like fuckery (as they do)

A quieter fan dying (hard drive cooling one)

my pc speakers on low volume

myself thinking

my key board keys as I type.

I'll really see what this platform is made of once I get my new block and can put the watercooling back on.

But holy shit, my PC is actually quiet without my NMB 100+cfm server fans from the rad!

I can now hear these things:

Raptors scratching like fuckery (as they do)

A quieter fan dying (hard drive cooling one)

my pc speakers on low volume

myself thinking

my key board keys as I type.

Ha. Mine sounds like a leaf-blower. It drowns out the kids nicely but I have to be careful to make sure the cat doesn't get too close.

Indeed, I'm a staunch non-believer in fan grilles. I have nicked my finger once on a NMB server fan, all I can say is... fucking ow.

Edited by morgoth

Should have new Waterblock in the morning =D

Also I'm looking into pickup up two GTX480's this week

=P

I'm also taking the plunge.

i7-950 and a GA-X58A-UD3R so exactly the same as you Morgoth although i've decided to get the Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000MHz 6GB. I'm glad you're happy with it as i'm placing my order tomorrow! =D

I'm hoping to get 2-3 years out of the system. Just like with my current q9450 which i have had for a little over 2 years!

Edited by smakme7757

i7-950 and a GA-X58A-UD3R so exactly the same as you Morgoth although i've decided to get the Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000MHz 6GB. I'm glad you're happy with it as i'm placing my order tomorrow! =D

I'm hoping to get 2-3 years out of the system. Just like with my current q9450 which i have had for a little over 2 years!

good luck with that x58 1366 i7 are already two years old i sure wish id grabbed one two years ago :)

good luck with that x58 1366 i7 are already two years old i sure wish id grabbed one two years ago :)

The only other option is to wait until Sandy bridge higher end CPUs are released around August 2011. Which is quite a while away, there is also bulldozer and i presume they will be around in the middle of next year as well. With that being said i jumped into Socket 775 when it was EOl as well :). The problem i have is my ram won't let me do anything other than web surfing and it fails memtest shockingly. Errors everywhere and sometimes it just reboots.

unfortunatly DDR2 is so expensive now that it's just not worth the money. So i can jump on some cheap i7 hardware and ride it out for about 2 years then jump on the next thing that is EOL.

It seems AMD is releasing a new part soon: Phenom II 1100T which might be worth a look. I've had a read over at Anandtech about the SB chip and they all come with an inbuilt GPU and some anti-overclocking stuff. Although i have high hopes for the enthusiast parts in late 2011.

Damn what a time to be buying a new rig, smack bang in the middle of a change over.

Edited by smakme7757

CPU is now watercooled, idling at 30C, loading at 47 in benching =D 20C improvement, using Apogee XT, much better block than the GTX I feel, it should be seeing as it's newer and more suited to Quads.

At the same time I re-cleaned and new paste for the 4870X2, drops temps so much when I do that usually by at least 15C.

I've got a few pictures to put up.

Coming soon:

Overclocking - I can see how far this thing goes, now that I'm rid of shitty air cooler that I hated using for those few short days ><

Benchmarking, likely a few games, 3dmark and CPU benchies (superpi/hyperpi/cinebench10(ht on/off)

Hopefully within the week get ahold of two GTX480's for some more grunt =D I've got a Corsair HX1000, so I'm prepped.

Anyone know if an MCW60 fits a GTX480? I might hunt in google..

EDIT: looks like yes!!

Posted Image

Edited by morgoth

Took some quick snaps, sorry I didn't fiddle with the camera for better pics

Posted Image

Had no idea how huge i7's are next to my Q9650 !

Posted Image

Just putting together (found out later, it doesn't like to boot in blue slots, RAM has to go in white :P)

Posted Image

Apogee XT installed

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by morgoth

Very nice man, let us know what settings you use to overclock and what temps you get!

If the mounting system wasn't so shit and the barbs weren't so close together I'd probably still be using my apogee XT, definitely got better temps than my EK Plexi Supreme.

Very nice man, let us know what settings you use to overclock and what temps you get!

If the mounting system wasn't so shit and the barbs weren't so close together I'd probably still be using my apogee XT, definitely got better temps than my EK Plexi Supreme.

Thanks!

The XT can swap the inlet 180 degrees opposite, to fit better.

I'm pretty keen to bench these two gtx480's if the sale goes through!