Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

Very nice man, let us know what settings you use to overclock and what temps you get!

If the mounting system wasn't so shit and the barbs weren't so close together I'd probably still be using my apogee XT, definitely got better temps than my EK Plexi Supreme.

Thanks!

The XT can swap the inlet 180 degrees opposite, to fit better.

I'm pretty keen to bench these two gtx480's if the sale goes through!

Yeah I know, does it lose flow rate or cooling capacity though? Dasa and I thought about doing it when we were doing my build, but the EK plexi suits my build much better anyway. Plus I still don't think 2 compression fittings would fit side by side.

Very nice man, let us know what settings you use to overclock and what temps you get!

If the mounting system wasn't so shit and the barbs weren't so close together I'd probably still be using my apogee XT, definitely got better temps than my EK Plexi Supreme.

Thanks!

The XT can swap the inlet 180 degrees opposite, to fit better.

I'm pretty keen to bench these two gtx480's if the sale goes through!

Yeah I know, does it lose flow rate or cooling capacity though? Dasa and I thought about doing it when we were doing my build, but the EK plexi suits my build much better anyway. Plus I still don't think 2 compression fittings would fit side by side.

The ability to turn it around is designed specifically to allow room for compression fittings ^^^

Also the tested difference (I looked it up) is less than 1C

im using a mcw60 on my gtx480 you need the g80 adapter plate

it can keep the gpu under 40c when overclocked to ~900mhz if room temps are low

im using a mcw60 on my gtx480 you need the g80 adapter plate

it can keep the gpu under 40c when overclocked to ~900mhz if room temps are low

Brilliant!

I'll definitely look into it, full cover blocks are so expensive and restrictive, plus I already own an MCW60, just need a plate

yer i purchased a g80 plate for my 8800gt 1g only to find out i didnt need it anyway but in the end it seems i found a use for it :)

found this if yours didnt come with one as some of the newer revisions may have

MCW60 Adapter Plate - Nvidia G80 Series

$10.00 $7.34

Save: 27% off

http://www.gammods.com.au/store/index.php?...products_id=865

Nice and cheap!

sounds good.

Right now I'm doing an isolated BLCK overclocking test.

dropping all the multis, isolating BLCK, VTT 1.2v, CPU 1.25v and running 3 loops of intel burnin linpack for each 10 mhz until I hit a wall.

No need for mega high BLCK because I get a 23x multi anyway :P but still good to test

I'll really see what this platform is made of once I get my new block and can put the watercooling back on.

But holy shit, my PC is actually quiet without my NMB 100+cfm server fans from the rad!

I can now hear these things:

Raptors scratching like fuckery (as they do)

A quieter fan dying (hard drive cooling one)

my pc speakers on low volume

myself thinking

my key board keys as I type.

I'll really see what this platform is made of once I get my new block and can put the watercooling back on.

But holy shit, my PC is actually quiet without my NMB 100+cfm server fans from the rad!

I can now hear these things:

Raptors scratching like fuckery (as they do)

A quieter fan dying (hard drive cooling one)

my pc speakers on low volume

myself thinking

my key board keys as I type.

Ha. Mine sounds like a leaf-blower. It drowns out the kids nicely but I have to be careful to make sure the cat doesn't get too close.

get quieter fans you crazy people!!!!

Mine are absolutely ridiculously loud. Big fat NMB ones, there's one on the back of the mobo tray in one of those pics.

They do however, work awesome.

Okay 1.32 vtt sees 200BLCK and vcore is stock.

I had my first dumbass moment while next testing the memory.

I couldn't get it to boot at 1600mhz and I was getting mad, then I looked at my uncore than I had locked low previously and it wasn't double the memory speed *facepalm* fix that and it boots up =]

Lets see how this memory goes, should do cas8 @1t 2000mhz 1.6-1.65v I believe

Once I'm done stability testing 4370Mhz, I'll ramp it up for some suicide runs. Unless I can run higher stable too =]

I do however have one problem.

UD3R X58 doesn't like cold booting overclocked settings, seems the PWM wants a chance to warm up or something, I dunno.

Not a big problem, for example I turned the PC off at this speed last night (having rebooted a few times and run tests during) But this morning it fails to boot and puts me in the bios, It saves my settings, I simply hit F10 and bam we reboot no fuss at the overclock I want. Seems to do it for most settings.

I can live with that though... I used to have a mobo where I lived in this real cold room with a broken window, temps reached sub-10 ambient and I had to blow a heater on the mobo so it would boot.

Once I'm done stability testing 4370Mhz, I'll ramp it up for some suicide runs. Unless I can run higher stable too =]

I do however have one problem.

UD3R X58 doesn't like cold booting overclocked settings, seems the PWM wants a chance to warm up or something, I dunno.

Not a big problem, for example I turned the PC off at this speed last night (having rebooted a few times and run tests during) But this morning it fails to boot and puts me in the bios, It saves my settings, I simply hit F10 and bam we reboot no fuss at the overclock I want. Seems to do it for most settings.

I can live with that though... I used to have a mobo where I lived in this real cold room with a broken window, temps reached sub-10 ambient and I had to blow a heater on the mobo so it would boot.

Yeah I had that happening to me recently, after about 8 months of stable 4ghz booting at 22x multi it wouldn't boot properly and would reset my settings, then going into the bios and reverting to previous settings it would boot fine.

Maybe apply some of your Fisherman's friends with a thin layer of thermal paste to keep it warm.

I wont leave home without a pack in my pocket. Original flavour only thank you.

Maybe apply some of your Fisherman's friends with a thin layer of thermal paste to keep it warm.

I wont leave home without a pack in my pocket. Original flavour only thank you.

Ya those things are my vice! Love em!

Hmm okay I might do.

I just ran some 3dmark..

HT off for Vantage to better compare same GPU with diff CPU (4 cores)

Vantage with 4870x2+q9650@4050 was roughly 16.500, i7950@4370 no ht got near 18k

3dmark06 got huge jump

22,500 with Q9650

26,000 with i7 950, providing a decent jump in sm2/3 score and FPS ofcourse.

Goes to show that in many situations, 4Ghz isn't enough for multi-GPU (non nehalem especially)

Hmm okay I might do.

I just ran some 3dmark..

HT off for Vantage to better compare same GPU with diff CPU (4 cores)

Vantage with 4870x2+q9650@4050 was roughly 16.500, i7950@4370 no ht got near 18k

3dmark06 got huge jump

22,500 with Q9650

26,000 with i7 950, providing a decent jump in sm2/3 score and FPS ofcourse.

Goes to show that in many situations, 4Ghz isn't enough for multi-GPU (non nehalem especially)

maybe i should just buy an x58 based rig, my GD80 is really REALLY holding back my overclocks this 870 just booted at 4.8ghz but i cant get it stable no matter how much voltage.

edit: anyone got thoughts on DFI X58 T3eH8, PM me!

Edited by tunksy

I think you'll find that your Q9650 wasn't bottlenecking your GPU, 3dm06 has shown its self to be very cpu intensive, you'd get a similar jump with a single card like a 5770 or something aswell.

Vantage on the other hand, has shown slight increases in gpu score from my old Q9550 to i7 930 when I had the dual 5850s.

Tunsky, who do you know that has a stable 4.8Ghz overclock, possibly could on an evap.

i know but all i can get is 4.2ghz 24/7 stable :P i want to benchmark it even, just for a pi run :P

All i could get to for my i7 is 4.1ghz so far.. i just haven't been able to tweak it yet

Edited by atomus

Oh I almost forgot to point out how silly my XMP is on my nice ram.

the 2000MHz cas9 XMP is QPI 1.6v lawl. I'm running cas 8 at 1.49 with 190BLCK, could possibly run lower, I'm using QPI tested to work by Eva2000 for that speed/timings/vram