Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

why are you running benchmarks with HT off? its part of what you payed for with the chip and comparing benchmarks with it off IMO is pointless as you are not seeing what your CPU is really getting, if you had no want to run HT then you should of got a i5 760 and saved a shitload of money.

Just my opinion.

why are you running benchmarks with HT off? its part of what you payed for with the chip and comparing benchmarks with it off IMO is pointless as you are not seeing what your CPU is really getting, if you had no want to run HT then you should of got a i5 760 and saved a shitload of money.

Just my opinion.

I purchased it for the option.

I compared to see what the architecture itself gained over the Yorkfield, was just a test...

X58 is good, Bloomfield is good, 23x multi is good, running vantage with HT on is good, why on earth would I run HT on for +10C and -2fps in a game ??

My games only ever ran faster with HT on, HT for all intensive purposes is part of the design though, so running tests without it is going to give invalid results, I only saw a 10c jump in temps on my very first C0 i7, the D0 steppings are not as dramatic.

Edited by nesquick

My games only ever ran faster with HT on, HT for all intensive purposes is part of the design though, so running tests without it is going to give invalid results, I only saw a 10c jump in temps on my very first C0 i7, the D0 steppings are not as dramatic.

No... Not invalid. I wanted to test how nehalem vs core arch was, HT on or off has nothing to do with physical core differences, just how they behave in certain applications.

Anyway, I'm over you "telling me" to use HT, I've decided not to use it in every day use, if you have an issue, well I'm not sure what I can do about it.

Anyway, I'm over you "telling me" to use HT, I've decided not to use it in every day use, if you have an issue, well I'm not sure what I can do about it.

I didn't tell you to do anything.

what kind of power draw (if you can measure it?) are you getting at 4.5ghz?

you can use the gigabyte utility to give you a rough idea.

Edited by nesquick

Thats why he said "telling me"

You were implying that he should use it otherwise he may aswell have bought an 1156 cpu.

The biggest drawcard of the X58 platform for most is the exceptional Crossfire and SLI capability of all the boards.

I'm running with HT off, I find I don't play games that will use it or run programs that will use it. So its just extra heat and voltage for me.

Okay a few rough numbers so far.

'load' measured with hyperpi (multithreaded superpi) and cinebench10

NO HT

3830MHz 1.275vcore/1.38vQPI = 27w idle, ~74w load ~100w linpack

4370Mhz 1.375vcore/1.5vQPI = 33w idle ~100w load ~140w linpack.

HT on produced about 7-10w more at idle, and about 30% more load.

Edited by morgoth

interesting

I tested it on a stock i7 870 once and it told 104w under LinX at stock.

Voltage plays a bigger part than clockspeed, so 1.275v (set in bios) isn't much over stock.

i leave h.t on because it makes my peen look bigger.

i dont notice a heat difference on this rig, but my 920 it would add around 10degrees.

i leave h.t on because it makes my peen look bigger.

i dont notice a heat difference on this rig, but my 920 it would add around 10degrees.

yours was a C0 wasn't it?

I have one GTX480 on the way, some new tubing, a G80 MCW60 plate.

I'll hopefully watercool it from the get-go

Also pending on a pair of 480's, so I'll have 3 for some reason.

I'm sure you will find a use for them :). Nice to see you taknig out all the stops. I can't wait to see the finished system and some nice benchmarking action =D

We'll almost be twins! ^.^

hah yeah, well at first I planned on getting two, so that I could give one to a friend after testing if SLI was worth it for me.

But I have got a good deal on an EVGA one for $300, so I got that aswell as getting my other pair soon.

So it's likely that I'll end up with two in the end and my friend will have upgraded from a GTX280

hah yeah, well at first I planned on getting two, so that I could give one to a friend after testing if SLI was worth it for me.

But I have got a good deal on an EVGA one for $300, so I got that aswell as getting my other pair soon.

So it's likely that I'll end up with two in the end and my friend will have upgraded from a GTX280

Bastards! :P thats is all!

this is gonna be sweet mate! PCCG has MCW80's for like 59 bucks btw!

I'm looking into water cooling both of mine, I'm thinking about getting a 3x120mm rad at the end of the year and looping it up with my 2x120mm, using the 350 pump that is already built into the 2x120mm radiator.

Would end up costing me around $350 or $400 I think, but would be worth it, 2 of the bloody things put out alot of heat.

Well I'm very tempted to run loops of their own, but I think it's easier to test how they got on one loop, if it sux, make two

Well I'm very tempted to run loops of their own, but I think it's easier to test how they got on one loop, if it sux, make two

The Drive 220 is just barely good enough for my cpu atm, I'm thinking adding the 3x120mm into the same loop should give me the extra headroom and cooling capacity I need. Shouldn't be a problem.