Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

I'm running a Radiical 3x120 atm for the CPU, I think I'm gonna lap this Apogee XT.

I have no idea though, if the MCP655 (1200lph/3.1m head) has enough grunt to drive a second 3x120 +2 more blocks. I'm not worried about flowrate as it barely matters, but it needs to run enough to be efficient.

I'm running a Radiical 3x120 atm for the CPU, I think I'm gonna lap this Apogee XT.

I have no idea though, if the MCP655 (1200lph/3.1m head) has enough grunt to drive a second 3x120 +2 more blocks. I'm not worried about flowrate as it barely matters, but it needs to run enough to be efficient.

it will run fine i use to run 3 blocks with a 1200l 2m head pump and the storm cpu block would have been a lot more restrictive than the apogee

just guessing that you may see a about a 0.5-3c temp drop with two mcp355 +top in series

it will run fine i use to run 3 blocks with a 1200l 2m head pump and the storm cpu block would have been a lot more restrictive than the apogee

just guessing that you may see a about a 0.5-3c temp drop with two mcp355 +top in series

Well that's likely my answer.

I have 3m of 7/16 tubing on the way, also once I hook a second card up, I'll look at using twin rads

im running the 655 pump and 2 gpu blocks and cpu block, with 3 rads and i have no problems.

Great to hear, I didn't want to need new gear.

I just took off the waterblock cos I wasn't happy with my temps.

I have never used the new screw/backplate thing they do now for the XT, also I was lazy and mounted it with the case standing up,

I had a hunch the mount wasn't so hot.

Turns out 1/2 the paste hadn't even touched the block :S I felt like a dumbass, so I sat the case on it's side, re-applied paste, put the block on, held it with pressure and screwed it on as tight as i could with my hands, and now my idle temps dropped about 10C and load dropped from around 60 to max 48.

This is testing just a modest OC, but it reflects alot still.

I wasn't aware you had to tighten the ringer out of these mechanisms, not like the old spring tops.

I'm happy now =D

ha running 32m quad pi now cores are 48/40/47/39 in realtemp^^ Just slightly above what Idle used to be ha.

I should do some more overclocking

What do you get under linpack load?

Would be interesting to compare settings and temps, as my 930 runs very fargin hot.

I dislike using linpack as it's unrealistic and no better at finding errors than a stresser than runs colder.

I played a game for an hour or so, BC2,. didnt go over mid 40's temp.

I'll run linpack just for you, but I'm not gonna use it as a measurement when overclocking later.

Okay linpack temps sitting at 55/49/55/48

HUUUUUGE improvement over before.

Very nice temps there even under linpack.

Well it's sorta what I expected, but I had shitty temps, lucky I decided my mount sucked and redid it.

Ambient is pretty good here in tassie most the time, doesn't often get over 20 inside.

Beginning more testing since the heat issue is sorted, using lowest vcore possible, then give it little jumps when I need

NOTE: All bios set overclocks, no windows utils used

1.275vcore set in bios. (1.264 actual, LLC enabled too)

all testing done on 1.475QPI for 2000mhz ram once I test on 200blckwith it.

HT off, as I don't need it.

Using Realtemp to record max temperatures

First run:

4140MHz 1.264v (1.275bios)

Loaded cinebench cores max 51/46/52/44

Loaded hyperpi (multithread superpi) 8m cores max 51/44/51/44

Loaded IntelBurnTest cores max 57/53/57/50 , power draw 102W (using gigabyte utility)

I'll do another 5 blck jump now, see if I don't need more vcore =]

Okay I needed to bump bios from 1.275 to 1.325 (1.312 cpuz) for 5 more blck (4255Mhz)

Testing:

4255Mhz 1.32v (1.325 bios)

Loaded cinebench core max 53/47/53/46

Loaded hyperpi (multithread superpi) 8m cores max 52/46/52/45

Loaded IntelBurnTest cores max 60/56/60/53

Testing:

4375MHz 1.37v (1.375 bios)

Loaded cinebench core max 54/49/54/46

Loaded hyperpi core max 53/48/54/46

Loaded IntelBurnTest cores max 64/59/63/55

Seems to need fair bit vcore for 4.5Ghz, but some need 1.4v for like 4.2, so mines pretty good. Bad thing is temps increase alot in linpack.

Testing:

4485MHz 1.424v (1.435 bios)

Loaded cinebench core max 58/54/59/52

Loaded hyperpi core max 58/54/58/51

Loaded IntelBurnTest 69/64/67/61

32x200=4600MHZ here we come!

Loaded

Edited by morgoth

I shoulda really just started an OC topic haha

Oh and during linpack in last test, draw 150W power

Edited by morgoth

Just ran 3dmark06 on 4485MHz

temps hit 60/55/60/53

Score: 26,547 3dmarks

sm2 : 10661

sm3: 12548

CPU: 7267

Also completed 32m hyperpi no problem.

Seems nice and stable, I'm impressed so far.

Edited by morgoth

Couple of pictures of results so far.

Posted Image

Oh and a pretty one, I need to submit to the other thread, I used too much vcore I think, as I neeed to boost QPI to boot once I realised :/

Posted Image

looking good morgs! 4.6 is just sweet!

Thanks! PI run on 4.6 was the end of testing for today, hopefully do some silly things this week!

looks like your having fun :)

congrats on a nice chip

looks like your having fun :)

congrats on a nice chip

Thanks mate, this thing is great now the temps are down!

Seems nice enough chip, not golden, but does 4.2 on low vcore which is a nice sign.

Updating first post with most of what I've posted.

Okay a reasonably cold night, the radiator is blowing cold air on me :S

check this out =D

Idle: - look at CPUZ for speed/vcore

Posted Image

Load: -

Posted Image

=D

Edited by morgoth

A few presents arrived for my MCW60 block today!! One of the GTX480's, adapter plate and 3m more tubing =D

Should be picking up the obsidian 800D today or tomorrow, also plan to redo the loop to include rads INSIDE the case, yes rads, I'll run the 360 in the top, 240 i the bottom

Posted Image

Ya, hopefully I'll only be using that cooler for a day, then putting it on water.

I've compared it in a couple of things to the 4870X2 roughly.

BFBC2, runs 60FPS (vsync locked) with 16xCSAA at max setting 1920x1200 without a hitch.

I would run it on the 4870x2 same settings with 8x aa, would do 50-60fps and slowdown a bit in high particle explosions etc.

Much easier to play on the 480, both tests done with cpu@4140MHz

Also vantage without physx or hyperthreading this 480 scores almost 2000 higher than the 4870X2, 19000+, would be more if I enabled HT for a better CPU score ofc. And I wont do physx cos that is cheating anyways

I can't get DX11 AVP3 to work properly, but then again, not many people do. I'll figure it out later.

Yet to try out Metro2033, see how fallout NV goes vs the x2

Yeah one of my 480s is a GB one, they look cool.

Will hopefully be putting my 2 on water after xmas.

Most noticable thing about this card over my 4870x2 is how little AA affects it...... However, that being said, two games I think need SLI so far.

Metro2033,

and Crysis.

I'm yet to try anything that requires more than one.