Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

you shouldn't run 3 on a HX1000 you'll likely kill it IMO 1.2kw is required for GTX480 sli.

EDIT: Upon raping google, I'm getting mixed reports, but one thing I do know is it will be stressing the PSU 12v rail ALOT....

A post somewhere points out something interesting...

I know what you are saying, but the HX 1000 is such a beast it will be fine not borderline.

The internals of the HX 1000 are identical to the Thermaltake Toughpower 1,500 Watt PSU

We are pretty confident that Corsair HX1000W is in fact a 1,500 W power supply that Corsair decided to label as a 1,000 W model because of efficiency. If Corsair had labeled this unit as a 1,100 W or greater unit it wouldn’t achieve the minimum 80% efficiency at full load that is considered by today’s standards the minimum a power supply should perform.

Source http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/484/10

I would be very suprised if it couldnt run tri 480s

Peak it would draw 1000w, but not in normal load situations, I wont be running furmark+linpack, which would top out 1000W.

I've already roughed it out, it will handle a few minutes of tests without being a problem.

I'll soon see, it wont die, if it tries to overdraw it will just switch off.

Edited by morgoth

Just don't run furmark and it should be ok but ideally you'd want a 1.2kw PSU so its not sitting at 90-95% capacity when playing games.

Edited by nesquick

Just don't run furmark and it should be ok but ideally you'd want a 1.2kw PSU so its not sitting at 90-95% capacity when playing games.

Yeah that was my thinking.

I want to only throw the card in for a few minutes, I'm selling it to my friend, I purchase PC gear for him occasionally.

oh right well hopefully you don't melt the 24pin connectors like some people did on ocau by using to small a power supply.

if i can run vantage with two 4870x2 and a q9450 running 1.53v on a corsair 750w tx i think you will manage just fine :)

if i can run vantage with two 4870x2 and a q9450 running 1.53v on a corsair 750w tx i think you will manage just fine :)

3 gtx480's and an i7 is not even remotely close to that setup

nope but it dosent use 300w more

gtx480 use less than a 4870x2

thanks to the links in marks thread

4870x2 cf typical draw 512w

gtx480 tri sli typical draw 666w

reviews show i7 950 system at ~4ghz with tri sli using ~950-1000w at the wall so they are only drawing ~800-900w from the psu

a corsair ax 850 can handle 1200w draw at the wall which is ~1000w load on the psu going by hardwaresecrets review

so with the gpu's at stock v it should be fine but if morgoth had any intention of keeping three cards and running them on water with extra v at ~900mhz then yes i agree a 1200w psu would be a good idea for long term use

reviews show i7 950 system at ~4ghz with tri sli using ~950-1000w at the wall so they are only drawing ~800-900w from the psu

a corsair ax 850 can handle 1200w draw at the wall which is ~1000w load on the psu going by hardwaresecrets review

so with the gpu's at stock v it should be fine but if morgoth had any intention of keeping three cards and running them on water with extra v at ~900mhz then yes i agree a 1200w psu would be a good idea for long term use

but you are comparing apples to oranges the HX1000 != AX850 anyway as long as there is no furmark he should be ok.

but you are comparing apples to oranges the HX1000 != AX850 anyway as long as there is no furmark he should be ok.

simply pointing out that even a good 850w psu could run his rig for a few benchmarks

unfortunately i couldn't find any heavy overload tests of the hx1000 just what was pointed out that its the same as the tt 1500w psu

as for the mention about melted plugs earlier the main contributors to this would be

light plugs\wires on a cheaper psu\mb

frequent use swapping the plug which may loosen the pins contact

a sharp bend in the wire before the plug to make wire look neater could increase heat under high loads

a quality psu that is overloaded should by rights just shut down

Uh ohh... Bad news :S

Stupid corner piece of removable mobo tray blocks the third card :P

Seeing as I watercool, I'm not gonna take my CPU block off, to take the mobo out to put the card in.

Oh well :S

aww i really wanted to see how they went for you

ahwell maybe you can test each one and let us know there oc variables

Well I still have the card, if I pull the gear out of the case before I put it in his pc, I'll run 3 =D

Oh I got a delivery or two today!

MCW80 block from PCCG

Also an order from my new fav store.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well I still have the card, if I pull the gear out of the case before I put it in his pc, I'll run 3 =D

Oh I got a delivery or two today!

MCW80 block from PCCG

Also an order from my new fav store.

haha yes its a great store! pity bout the third 480!

WHAT?

they give you jellybeans and a personal note when you order from them?

nows thats service! (and very cool indeed)

nice!

now get them up and running!

:)

Yeah they chuck that stuff in, totally awesome =D

Okay getting the case bottom chopped tomorrow, will pull my 480's out and put the waterblocks on them tonight. I've got the last of the screws I need for mounting all on radiators and shit.

In the morning I should have my compression fittings I need, and possible 3x nidec 220cfm fans :P But no controller yet so I'm a bit scared to use them!

Hopefully the missus gets my hints and looks at buying me a 3x120mm rad and some mcw80 gpu blocks for xmas so i can put mine on water

Hopefully the missus gets my hints and looks at buying me a 3x120mm rad and some mcw80 gpu blocks for xmas so i can put mine on water

Hell yeah, I'm looking forward to water on the GPUs!

Here we go, template marked, cut, case is masked up and marked ready to go under the saw

EDIT: new picture, had wrong one I didn't do right the first time, this is final

Posted Image

Edited by morgoth

Started mounting GPU blocks last night. I'll say now, those MCW blocks with the G80 kit need a TIGHT mount :/

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia went broke from the amount of thermal 'goop' they put on cards...

The heatpipe design isn't super hot on these, not even designed to mount flush with the IHS :S

Here's a few pictures of the crusty paste, I recommend that any 480 owners redo their paste yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Started mounting GPU blocks last night. I'll say now, those MCW blocks with the G80 kit need a TIGHT mount :/

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia went broke from the amount of thermal 'goop' they put on cards...

The heatpipe design isn't super hot on these, not even designed to mount flush with the IHS :S

Here's a few pictures of the crusty paste, I recommend that any 480 owners redo their paste yesterday.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

SO, so envious!