Sign in to follow this  
Morgoth

Building i7 rig finally!

I remember reading that the GTX480 HSF needs a heap of thermal paste to make proper contact.

it actually turns me off buying one, they still go for a fair few $$ might as well GTX460's of the new GTX570's really imo.

nice shots morgoth!

@tunsky: the GTX 460 is awsome card i own one and it has awsome OC capablity (im currently running 800mhz core and maybe can go high but i dont want to kill it!)

nice shots morgoth!

@tunsky: the GTX 460 is awsome card i own one and it has awsome OC capablity (im currently running 800mhz core and maybe can go high but i dont want to kill it!)

oh yea thats half the reason I want one, the OC like mad, and they'd be insane underwater, trick is i need ot find a refrence model one! if i want to use a full cover block, but mcw80 and like 60 bucks so....yea

edit: ive got an mcw55 or whatever it is but a. im pretty sure it wont fit and b. it only take 1/2" barbs, which isnt the size tubing im using.

Edited by tunksy

I remember reading that the GTX480 HSF needs a heap of thermal paste to make proper contact.

it actually turns me off buying one, they still go for a fair few $$ might as well GTX460's of the new GTX570's really imo.

GTX 570 is probably better.

nice shots morgoth!

oh yea thats half the reason I want one, the OC like mad, and they'd be insane underwater, trick is i need ot find a refrence model one! if i want to use a full cover block, but mcw80 and like 60 bucks so....yea

edit: ive got an mcw55 or whatever it is but a. im pretty sure it wont fit and b. it only take 1/2" barbs, which isnt the size tubing im using.

i think MSY may have have refrence models,mine is but its only the 768MB version (the 1GB version wasnt in stock)

still to test it my im currently rocking 851 mhz core! ( i think its the highest i can go...shame,i really wanted to try and crack the 1ghz barrier...

Edited by jdog

i really want to try and crack the 1ghz barrier...

that made me lol

LOL yea. jdog you'd be lucky to get 900 with 460's, and youd be even luckier to get 950 with watercooling. where you're at is pretty bloody good!

nice cuts man they look really neat! offtopic: hopefully i can pick upa lian li PC-A71 for dirt cheap in a couple of days!

Thanks mate, it's not perfect, couple of mount holes don't quite match up unless I file a bit. but plenty are in for it to be solid. Otherwise its real good.

I have done now so far.

Mounted 240/360 rads with fans.

Mounted PSU, Mobo, both 480's with waterblocks on, CPU block, connected bulkiest cables to make sure they wont be in way of tubing,

I've found my pump/res placement.

Measured every run of tubing down to +-10mm accuracy with a bit of play so it's not too tight incase I need to move something or whatever, it's just how it's done, better to overmeasure than under!

Measured 2-3 times for each, haven't cut yet.

I first decided on this order to possibly keep the second GPU cooler after the cpu+gpu1, but really should make little temp difference once running.

But it was mainly to avoid trying to join two MCW blocks without kinking!

It was planned:

Res>pump>360>cpu>gpu1>240(in bottom)>gpu2>res.

But I only have 3050MM of 7/16" masterkleer tubing (1/2" barbs) and it came out to 3300+mm.

New plan, once I got over my problems and decided to MAKE it work.

Res>pump>360>cpu>gpu1>gpu2>240>res

This came out to 2965mm and I was being generous with measurements, so I can trim here and there if I need to once the tubing is portioned to each run,

I have killcoil antikink stuff (eww green but still) which allows a 300mm piece to bend and join the two MCW GPU blocks nicely whilst allowing the case side to stay on too.

What's on my mind?

Waterblock mounts... In such a fat loop, taking off blocks for remounting is out of the question without draining the whole damn lot :/ Except the CPU which I can work around.

GPU block pressure.

I did some mounting tests with thermal paste to see how much cover it got fully mounted but not warmed up (I want it FAIRLY flush)

I found that I needed some VERY heavy pressure, a turn or three past tightest finger tight, with springs rather compressed, though they look like other G80 mounted 480's I've googled.

I figure GPU IHS/pcb can handle alot more punishment than a mounted CPU in a mobo. Lets hope when I hit GO they don't do stupid things such as not working, or whatever :/

Since I made a dumbass on my Koolroom order (right product name, wrong number) and ended up with the wrong ended 45 degree rotaries, I am not using the compression fittings OR 1/2" tubing.

7/16" and barbs all the way, the bottom rad takes some tube curling, but works out alright.

Anywho here's some snaps before bed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks really nice mate, the 800D is a great case, i love mine! I'll be looking forward to when you get all the tubing in there :)!

Thanks mate, I'm impressed with it so far, good build quality and strong, also the cable management is insane compared to my usual :P

I would have got it all done yesterday, but I got called into work so I had to do what I could last night.

After work today I'll see how I go.

Very very nice morgoth! the gpus look great with the fans still on :P (thanks for the idea if i get one!)

Cheers! I haven't gone all out, with sleeving and all sorts of things, I'm more of a functionality person, but maybe that may change in the future.

Yes the VRM/RAM cooler plate on those is quite good, it's nice a heavy and pretty thick, I'm leaving the fans plugged in to blow a little air around, can't hurt.

Looking fantastic morgoth, that rad fits up there nicely :) But with the loop,

Res>pump>360>cpu>gpu1>gpu2>240>res

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a 240 rad, as it cools it into the res then goes through the 360 but is already cool? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not experienced with watercooling.

I would try and make it go

Res>pump>360>cpu>240>gpu1>gpu2>res

Again not sure if Im right but that seems common sence. As it goes through the CPU heats up then is cooled before the GPU's?

But as you said you might not have enough tubing, as the cpu block needs to go to the 240 rad down the bottom which would have a long tube going down the case. Which also would look wrong.

Anyway it looks sick and cant wait for some more pics morgoth :)

dosent really matter where you put the rads in the loop if the flow rate is good enough then there will only be ~1c difference between the inlet and outlet

the extra rad space is all about dropping the total water temp

its looking very nice now it will be great to see how they go on water for you

the cards vrm crank out a fair bit of heat and much more when you overclock with extra v so you really want some airflow over the vrm still i just removed the stock fan so i could use some quieter fans but since you dont care about noise :)

it may be worth playing with a fan profile to up there speed otherwise they will stay at min rpm now the gpu is under water

or just set them as fast as you can without them being much louder than your other fans

back when i had x1900 crossfire my loop setup was gpu-cpu-gpu-pump-rad

and yes more picks and some overclocking!

Edited by Dasa

I've been working, I got a 2 hour window atm to get something done before I go back (Work split shifts)

Yes unrestricted, I wanted to do that exact method, but the increase in tubing (approx500mm) would offset any minimal gains from that order.

Dasa is right when he says what he did, loop order doesn't really matter as long as res before pump inlet, res above pump, and route tubing reasonably short if you can.

Edit: if I wanted these card to not have any resale value, I'd cut the left half of the shrouds off, so the fan still draws/pushes air right where it used to

Edit2:

Okay tubing is labeled and cut, had about 60mm piece left :P

I'm boiling the kettle as we speak, wana get that 7/16" over the 1/2" barbs and setting in uber tight once it cools. I wont need hoseclamps at all.

Edited by morgoth

Split shifts suck, I work at Coles casually and have to do them every weekend -_-

I work in restaurant, while I didn't like it at first, I don't mind them as I live 2 mins from work.

Okay 3/4 of the tubing is on, this stuff is tight as, especially on the pump^^

Okay loop is joined, filled and leak testing, with zero hose clamps, no leaks seen.

Ready to join

Posted Image

All filled

Posted Image

Leak testing

Posted Image