Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Midnighter

How to deliver a package to a private residence

ROFL, this happened to me the other day.

I was home all day expecting the package the only thing I did was do some yard work int he back yard for like 20minutes.

The package never arrived later that night I find a slip in the letter box....

Edited by Bundy

Step 5: If someone at the residence rings to inform the company when they'll be available to receive the package again, ignore them and proceed to return-to-sender.

Yes, I think this must be the training handbook that Fastway Couriers follow... we had a parcel arrive from Queensland Guide Dogs, I was at work, my father (to whom it was addressed) was on holidays, so back to the depot it went. A few days later I was home ill with a cold ... so I rang them up and informed I'd be home that day to accept any parcels.

They never bothered to show up.

Calling them on the day - to say you'll be home for redelivery - is kind of useless. They don't get paid extra to drive off to wherever it's in storage and pick it up and come back to find you.

Startrack and Fedex are amazing in my area. They walked the whole acerage looking for my parcel to pickup, calling my name.

Love those guys

I have SEEN these guys simply get out of the truck and drop the slip into the mailbox without knocking.

I was going to complain, but my brother suggested that I shouldn't in case I would actually like to have future packages not mysteriously end up lost...

I made a mistake with a recent delivery and put my home address instead of work. The guy called when I didn't answer at home, I explained the mistake and he took down the work address and delivered the next day.

There are good couriers out there, and they can really make your day.

Fedex are very good but yes, I have had the problem of being home and finding a card at the door. A number of times they have rung the bell and I get up to answer and they're already getting back into the driver's seat in less than 30 seconds.

I have SEEN these guys simply get out of the truck and drop the slip into the mailbox without knocking.

I was going to complain, but my brother suggested that I shouldn't in case I would actually like to have future packages not mysteriously end up lost...

Yeah there have been times when I was home all day studying and I checked the mail box later in the afternoon only to find a "Sorry we missed you" slip. No you fucking didn't - you were just too lazy to ring the bell!

It irks me sometimes but at least the post office is right near my place and doesn't close until 6PM.

Just as well you're sending my package Australia Post =p.

That said I feel for these guys. If they're anything like Oz Post they only have a set amount of time to complete their route, and if they take longer there can be some pretty serious repercussions for them (up to and including being sacked if they do it a few times).

Whatever happened to customer service? Quality not quantity? =(

A friend of mine got called back by operations about a delivery that the customer couldn't find.

On his sheet was written LIT.

Asked what this was, he said the instructions were to throw the parcel over the barbed wire fence if no one was home because they had guard dogs.

Anyway, upon doing that, the package got caught in a tree.

Hence the initials for Left In Tree.

I get parcels delivered and the driver just sometimes leaves them besides my front door. Even when I am home and he/she could have rung my bell to see if I was home.

Calling them on the day - to say you'll be home for redelivery - is kind of useless. They don't get paid extra to drive off to wherever it's in storage and pick it up and come back to find you.

They certainly won't get paid for non-delivery.

There's no warning of when such a package will arrive, so how is one supposed to plan around this sort of thing? They won't leave it at the post office in most cases, so they take it all the way back to the depot. Other than ringing to say I can make myself available on a given day to receive a package, what more can I do?

If I were to drive to the depot to collect it (assuming for a moment that I could drive a car) what is the point of paying the courier company?

I had AusPost roll my parcel down my driveway as walking down to the door (a whopping 15 steps) was too much.

Luckily a good friend of mine was there and saw him do it, so I had a witness should the parcel of been damaged.

The parcel, was a laptop with fragile stickers plastering almost every square inch of the outside...

I refuse to use AusPost when I can avoid it.

There's no warning of when such a package will arrive, so how is one supposed to plan around this sort of thing? They won't leave it at the post office in most cases, so they take it all the way back to the depot. Other than ringing to say I can make myself available on a given day to receive a package, what more can I do?
You can call and let them know you'll be available on a given day that is not today. You can try asking at roughly what time the courier is typically in your rough area.

If I were to drive to the depot to collect it (assuming for a moment that I could drive a car) what is the point of paying the courier company?

The depot is probably closer to you than the person shipping it.

A friend of mine got called back by operations about a delivery that the customer couldn't find.

On his sheet was written LIT.

Asked what this was, he said the instructions were to throw the parcel over the barbed wire fence if no one was home because they had guard dogs.

Anyway, upon doing that, the package got caught in a tree.

Hence the initials for Left In Tree.

hahahahah

this is awesome.

Gir once left her phone at my house (which for arguments sake is less than 3 hours drive from hers), so I decided to just courier it up to her. It left Monday morning, and on Tuesday afternoon (after staying at home all day Monday and Tuesday to receive it) it still hadn't arrived. So I rang the courier company, they told me that "The business was closed when a delivery was attempted", I said "Um no, its a residence, and someone has been at home for every second of the last 48 hours" I then informed them that there was no card left. They told me they would look into it and call me straight back.

The next morning I called them, talked to a different person and they informed me that they would not try to deliver a package for a third time. I told them thats fine, and to just attempt to deliver the package the first two times. They informed me that a delivery driver had attempted delivery twice, and both times the place of business was closed. I explained again that it wasn't a business, someone was home all of Monday and Tuesday to receive it, and no attempted delivery slip was left. I was then told Gir would have to take the (non-existent) failure of delivery slip to the depot to retrieve the package.

I then drove 3 hours to their delivery depot, swore at the person on the gate and drove another 30 minutes to Gir's house to give deliver her phone to her. 3 days waiting and in the end I had to drive it there my-fucking-self.

Oh, and on the next bill from them there was a delivery charge and two "failure to deliver" fees. I rang them and told this exact story back to them and told them that we would never be using their company for any deliveries ever again. We still haven't paid the entire last bill.

'

The problem seems to be couriers are only interested (most I have used) in dealing with businesses, they seem to have this attitude of go fuck yourself to anyone that is not in direct business with their company or if the delivery address is not a business ect like at work I have seen couriers wait for 40mins to deliver one thing to us as we are due to OHS requirements only allowed one delivery at a time despite being able to facilitate up to semi's on one dock and medium rigid on the other at the same time so even if they can get their trucks in with whatever it is they are delivering we are not allowed to take delivery which means they have to wait. Most are fine with it some crack the shits, but I tell them to fuck off, if they don't like it they can ring their supervisor and discuss their liberal interpretation of our OHS policies. Then you get a company like Austpost with drivers that knock but as soon as they knock start writing out a card saying oh we missed you...

To solve the problem in the OP though I just listen for my dog to go crazy as soon as someone walks up the steps, sure fire way for me to be at the door before they get a chance to knock :P

I had AusPost roll my parcel down my driveway as walking down to the door (a whopping 15 steps) was too much.

Luckily a good friend of mine was there and saw him do it, so I had a witness should the parcel of been damaged.

The parcel, was a laptop with fragile stickers plastering almost every square inch of the outside...

I refuse to use AusPost when I can avoid it.

I think they do it for fun.

AirRoad or Australian Air express, can't remember which one put a forklift through an LCD TV we were shipping to a customer at my last job.

We also had a moving company that was supposed to take all of our old servers, computers, monitors, keyboards, mice and printers and store them until we could organise for them to be returned to the leasing company.

Once they got back to the leasing company, we were informed that 80% (about $55,000) worth of the servers had not shown up, and that the monitors that did show up, were mostly smashed.

As it turns out, stacking monitors face down and then loading a pallet of computers on top of that is how these professionals felt they should deliver the gear.

When we called the company to track our lost servers, they were for some reason found after two weeks of looking (in a spot already checked many times), but were stored differently to how they would have normally, off a pallet and away from where stuff should have been stored...