Sign in to follow this  
sirtrancealot

Mumble - Open Source Ventrilo alternative

Hey all,

just thought i'd pop in a quick post about a lovely bit of software I found on the interwebs the other week.

I've been running a private ventrilo server for ages and ages, but have never had it working well, would always stop transmitting and catch up 5 mins worth of push to talk in 30 seconds, and then die until the service was restarted.

so I did a bit of a hunt and found this

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

has some top features that ventrilo doesn't have..

like certificate auth, on-screen overlay of who is talking, android client

and the quality is exceptional!

so if you and some mates prefer to use non-ingame voice services.. this is by far what i'd recommend!!

anyone who's up for some Bad Company 2 or Starcraft2 some time, feel free to PM me and i'll shoot you the details of my mumble server!

apologies for the double post... proxy server at my work is crud and decides to timeout occasionally.

I'm interested. Checking it out.

Wonder how it copes with 25 connections, and my pron downloads simultaneously!

Well this answered my question. Repost from Mumble's forum:

The guild I am in uses my Mumble server, it currently runs on a P3 733mhz with 256 megs of ram. We frequently have 50 people or so on and the cpu rarely if ever goes above %25 for the OS as a whole, atm we have 25 people on and the Murmur service is sitting at %0-%5 with the occasional spike to %10. Ram for the Murmur service is around 35megs.

Current bandwidth = 59.6 kbit/s

The requirements are ridiculously low.

Edited by metasynaptic

yup, I currently run this on a sempron LE 1650, with 1gb ram, and it also runs IIS and a 1/2 dozen other things.

that and my internet connection can't even stream youtube.. (damn TPG) but seems to handle this just fine! I am very very impressed with it.

I remember checking it out a while ago but couldn't get it to work at the time.

At the moment I'm just using Teamspeak 3 which tends to do the job well enough.

I'll probably look into mumble again when all my exams and assignments are over.

Mumble app for Android imo works better than ventriloid for vent, i was never able to get it working well.

but the mumble one, worked first go, decent quality, only caveat is it doesnt work without a headset.. but then again, you really would want to be using a headset anyways.

works perfectly even on 3G, but I suppose that will really depend on your handset and carrier.. i'm using virgin mobile on a HTC desire.. and have no probs.