SlurmsMackenzie

North Korea fires on South

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11...?section=justin

There are reports that North Korean artillery shells have landed on a South Korean border island, damaging homes and causing injuries.

The Yellow Sea border has been the site of several exchanges of fire between the two Koreas, with naval clashes claiming a number of lives.

South Korean media reports the shells smashed into the island of Yeonpyeong.

South Korean troops immediately returned fire.

Does this mean a M.A.S.H reboot?

But seriously, anyone think it will escalate further?

Like the shoving before a fight, I swear NKorea is trying to provoke SKorea into retaliatory action so they can take it a step further.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

lol DH thats actually what I thought when i saw the thread title.

What kind of drugs does Kim Jong-ill take? Does he pass on to his son? Its probably doing wonders for them. Not to mention making them more retarded by the second. Didn't Kim Jong-Ill want to make a truce for the United Nations about a year ago? I read it on the newspaper in the Korean Airport.

Edited by geekytalon

North Korea has shot dozens of rounds of artillery onto a populated South Korean island near the countries' disputed western border causing casualties, South Korean military officials say.

South Korean troops have returned fire and Seoul has scrambled F16 jets to overfly island after the shelling.

The South Korean military went on its highest state of alert, the defence ministry said, and YTN reported that South Korean air force jets were scrambled to the island.

A ministry spokesman said: "A North Korean artillery unit staged an illegal firing provocation at 2.34pm local time (1634 AEDT) and South Korean troops fired back immediately in self-defence."

Didn't Kim Jong-Ill want to make a truce for the United Nations about a year ago?

It's a game he plays he agrees to stuff and then backs out at the last minute claiming the terms are unreasonable.

Didn't Kim Jong-Ill want to make a truce for the United Nations about a year ago?

It's a game he plays he agrees to stuff and then backs out at the last minute claiming the terms are unreasonable.

O_O Dictatorship is quite a bitch.

He's a pretty sick guy to be playing these kind of games when his successor is kind of untested, I'd have thought.

Looks like Kim Jnr is rattling sabre to play up the home crowd before his takeover.

Wish some black ops team would just kill the fucker already.

I wonder what news is played, in NKorea it's possible the news of them shelling SK is censored but the Sk's retaliation is national news as an 'unwarranted attack'.

Wonder if we'll get discounts for Homefront now that it's been leaked...

Most likely just another piece of crass stupidity out of Pyongyang.

The idiots really don't understand, it is not 1951 any more, China is unlikely to support them, the US has a huge presence in Korea, the North would get creamed.

Cheers

Yep.

It'll be goodbye 1930s, hello stone age in a few weeks for them.

The idiots really don't understand, it is not 1951 any more, China is unlikely to support them, the US has a huge presence in Korea, the North would get creamed.

Cheers

I disagree they would get creamed.

They would be worse of by heaps yes but a war now in Korea would last over a decade, this regime is entrenched culturally and socially through years of propaganda, misinformation sewing seeds of hate for the west and all opposing nations, if you thought Afghanistan was a bad situation you aint seen nothin yet.

Same thing Rybags why do you think we could just walk in and clean out house in a "few weeks"

When has this ever been the case in modern warfare, not to mention on this a much more massive scale than anything recent.

Edited by Bundy

When?

Just look at Iraq, especially V1.

If this escalates, it just gives the Yanks another place to dump the bombs that are approaching their "Best Before" date.

And by relative terms, Iraq was a technologically advanced country.

Cheers

They would be worse of by heaps yes but a war now in Korea would last over a decade, this regime is entrenched culturally and socially through years of propaganda, misinformation sewing seeds of hate for the west and all opposing nations, if you thought Afghanistan was a bad situation you aint seen nothin yet.

Same thing Rybags why do you think we could just walk in and clean out house in a "few weeks"

When has this ever been the case in modern warfare, not to mention on this a much more massive scale than anything recent.

i agree. With the power of propaganda and dictatorship flavor in the hearts of North Korea's fighters and visionaries, these guys might gain similar size ballz to the old Hitler's Germany.

American intelligence has information concluding that North Korea is conducting more research and investment into nuclear arms with covert spice as they are conducting it in secret with other enemies of the west like Cuba. Hopefully not china. i dont want to think that because china is running out of resources they'll fight for it. Il contradict myself in saying China has a good enough economy to buy what they need....

North Korea is starting to sound like the next Nazi Germany. Correct me if Im wrong.

Cheers

The NK economy is $10B.

That's it. An attack would completely destroy - there won't be an opposition, they couldn't even buy arms from the Russkies.

Covert spice... hmmm.

I think Dong-Ill sees his own end near and just wants to go out with a bang.

Yea Iraq has been a great success since "V1" Your example left the dictator in power and we even went back..

Two we are talking about a country (Nkorea) who has ground forces that could potentially number between 10-15million.

With a functional air force and navy making it logistically different to anything that has been encountered that I can think of.

With citizens that are taught in schools about the glory of their nation and hatred for the west is nurtured.

If their forces stand down Leo perhaps but I wouldn't bet on it even if it's likely the cost is not worth it.

Anyone who thinks it would be 'over' in anything less than a time frame of years is ignorant of history and the reality of the situation in Korea.

How long would the occupation post the war last on top of that, is anyones guess..

Edited by Bundy

Hmm,

I seriously doubt it Bundy, wars just don't last that long any more, not full-on warfare.

NK is a strange place, lots of people pay lip-serve to the regime - lots try to leave as well, and their military is nothing compared to the South, except in terms of numbers but they don't have the food supplies to support a long campaign, which is what is implied if you rely on numbers.

It wont go that far, the South doesn't want war, but is fully prepared to do so if the need arises and has powerful allies.

What you are looking at is in some ways analogous to the situation when the wall came down, there is no substance to the north outside the fanatics, the south by contrast is a vibrant and committed economy, aside from moles, who are regularly removed, it is not about to cave in to the north.

Militarily the north is just a joke, that's why they started rattling nuclear sabres, the field leveler, but I doubt they would even be able to deliver them. The US has the latest and best Patriot missiles in-theatre, with enhanced Hawks as back up and Aegis cruisers off the coast, to knock down nothing better than warmed over Scuds - no contest.

It will probably blow over, unless the father is quite deliberately throwing in the towel with his son as the patsy, and I would not put it past him, in which case it will be done by Christmas.

Again, not 1951, China is up there on the northern border, doing huge business with SK, they wont let that economy be destroyed, it would suit them, very nicely, to have that economy closer as one nation rather than one distracted by the fuckwits in Pyongyang.

The US has the same sentiments, SK is on par with Taiwan for hi-tech partnering with the US, not going to happen.

Cheers

North Korea is starting to sound like the next Nazi Germany. Correct me if Im wrong.

Correction: you're wrong.

Nazi Germany was a major military and economic power with serious support at the start of the war from other major powers, like Italy, the USSR and Japan. In contrast, North Korea is a backwater shithole that has been stewing in its own propaganda and poverty for the last 60 years.