Sign in to follow this  
nitro.vo

Commodore lock issues

Hey dudes & sheilas,

Hoping someone has some experience with Commodore locks..

I got off the train last night and my remote wasn't working. Put the key in and it doesn't do anything.

I've read commodore forums (tried and failed at signing up to ask them) and it looks like it's deadlocked or something.

I can turn the key in 180 turns and it clicks each time its verticle.

Battery shouldn't be dead, no lights or anything was left on.

This happened once before but came good after about 20mins. I've just gone down to the station and tried but I can't get into the bastard.

Pretty lame tbh.

Can anyone help out?

Thanks.

Perhaps I didn't turn it enough rotations.. it just felt like the key was turning but nothing was happening.

I've gotta lug all my music gear down to the station again so i'll retry when i get down there.

Edited by nitro.vo

Is it a modern one with the "Smart Key" or whatever it's called ?

If so and the battery's dead, then you might have some trouble.

I can recall not so long ago finding a guide relating to putting a new battery in, fairly sure it was for a Commodore one - IIRC they're soldered in with some, an obvious money-making strategy that "requires" the entire key to be replaced, but the reality is that if you're handy you can just desolder the battery and put a new one in.

So you can't get in at all - what about the boot, or is it remote entry only for that one?

If the battery on the key is near dead, it can help trying in different places.

Give it a go holding it over the vent intake at the front (near the wipers), in front of the grille, etc.

The stupid thing about this so-called "smart entry" - if part of the system fails, often there's no fallback method.

OK - i'll just list the general things then :) it could be almost any type of VY / VZ

Remote cental locking - the receiver is in the sun load sensor on the middle of your dash - use the remote really close to this. The key may have lost its code (happens all the time) or the battery could be dead flat (unlikely) so this may not work. The key will resync when you use it in the ignition.

If that doesnt work you have 3 options:-

1. Break the DSF window and hope your battery isnt discharged (well, all you would need is a jump start)

2. Call a locksmith

3. The fun way :P If the battery is discharged you can jack up the car and put a jumper on it using the starter motor - make sure you solidly support the car so it wont fall on you and connect a jumper pack - positive on the starter motor terminal (the one that goes to the positive battery terminal) and the negative on the chassis somewhere that has a good connection. Your central locking may work :) - cant be sure

I'd recommend getting a locksmith if you cant get the cental lockin working because it sounds like the door lock is cactus.

just thought of something - have you been pressing the remote twice to unlock all doors?

Annoying - happened to me once, it was a failed lock barrel but the passenger door opened.

If you are an NRMA member or whatever just call them, otherwise yeah, locksmith.

Cheers

Annoying - happened to me once, it was a failed lock barrel but the passenger door opened.

If you are an NRMA member or whatever just call them, otherwise yeah, locksmith.

Cheers

Yeah!

Why didn't you just call them?

( the other thing is.......it's not far from Campbelltown where there are thousands of experts.........mostly called Wayne)

:)

I've no idea how to break into a Commodore but not much you can't get into with a piece of packing binder.

(Aside from the highly sophisticated stuff of course, in which case you need a pro.)

Cheers

:)

I've no idea how to break into a Commodore but not much you can't get into with a piece of packing binder.

(Aside from the highly sophisticated stuff of course, in which case you need a pro.)

Cheers

breaking in is easy - getting the bastard started is another thing :)

Commodore's suck. Cut your losses and move on. Falcons are good value for money :p

From locked, you should get a 1/4 turn clockwise before it unlocks, this part is completely mechanical but will trip the alarm if you open the door.

If the fob button doesn't work, you've got a flat fob battery.

From locked, you should get a 1/4 turn clockwise before it unlocks, this part is completely mechanical but will trip the alarm if you open the door.

If the fob button doesn't work, you've got a flat fob battery.

And when the alarm trips just put the key in straight away and turn it to the on position. Should stop it.

just thought of something - have you been pressing the remote twice to unlock all doors?

Yeah, press once for driver door, twice to unlock the other 3 doors.

I'm gonna replace the battery in the remote and go back and try that but since the key doesn't do anything when turning I'm not sure how that would help. But it's worth a shot.

Is it possible someone tried breaking into my car and set the deadlock or fucked up my lock as it locked fine with the remote when I left it.

Shall report back in a couple of hours. Thanks fer your help :)

Can anyone confirm whether or not the lock trick works on these commodores? I know it works on the previous models and AU Falcons but I don't know about the year that you have Nitro.

Edit - I'm not sure if I should post how to break into these cars

Edited by King_Of_The_Mountain

Just to confirm... you have tried the key in the other doors than the driver's one? Or only that door has the mechanical lock on it on newer models?