Hey guys.

I have a server running 2x 160gb Hdds in Raid 1.

The server went through a stage of crashing a fair bit which I was never able to find the cause of.

Now i've had to rebuild the Raid Array twice now in about 3 months.

After the second rebuild I restarted the server and it was reported the Raid was broken again.

Thinking this was odd I restarted the machine and this time it reported a healthy Raid.

Now I cant determine if its a faulty drive in the array or if the Raid controller is telling me fibbs.

I might upgrade to 500gb drives anyway but i'd like some opinions if possible.

Seatools wont recognise my raid and I dont really have time at the moment to test drives out of the array.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jamie

I'd back it up to an external drive if you have no time to sus it out.

I'd suspect a drive.............but you know what computers are like!

I'd back it up to an external drive if you have no time to sus it out.

I'd suspect a drive.............but you know what computers are like!

Yeh I should stop being lazy and take my external in tomorrow haha.

Should really up the capacity anyway so it wont be a waste if its the controller anyway.

Cheers

Jamie

If they're 160GB drives, I suspect they are past their use by dates on a 24/7 server!

I got mine to run RAID 0 on my old Athlon 3500+. I think 250GB was the largest you could get at the time.......within reason.

edit - I'm still using them in a HTPC now........they're a bit wonky but I don't care if they fall over.

Edited by LogicprObe

If they're 160GB drives, I suspect they are past their use by dates on a 24/7 server!

I got mine to run RAID 0 on my old Athlon 3500+. I think 250GB was the largest you could get at the time.......within reason.

edit - I'm still using them in a HTPC now........they're a bit wonky but I don't care if they fall over.

Yeh they'd be in to their 4th year now. But its always hard to explain to someone that you need to replace something until its dead.

Delaying only adds to the cost.

Edited by DiStOrTeD

Maybe point out that a factory-new drive won't magically have the data the old drive did… in other words, existing drives dead = data gone?

i have a fairly old Wester Digital 250 gig drive. bought about 4 years back and has also been running nearly 24/7. Not a single bad sector, fuck I love WD.

Seagate on the other hand, every drive dead within 3 to 8 months.

Samsung I hear good things about.

Drop in a couple WD Black 1 or 2 TB drives? maybe Samsung F3's?

i have a fairly old Wester Digital 250 gig drive. bought about 4 years back and has also been running nearly 24/7. Not a single bad sector, fuck I love WD.

Samsung I hear good things about.

Drop in a couple WD Black 1 or 2 TB drives? maybe Samsung F3's?

I've had my fair share of issues with seagate drives actually.

But i've also heard horrible things about WD Blacks in raid arrays. Not sure if its still relevant because that was quite some time ago.

F3's do sound like a solid idea though.

Off to make an image

Samsung silencer.

Quiet, cool, power saving, WITHOUT WD green's TERRIBLE slowness. They're pro.

Also; is this a RAID card? or Windows software RAID? If its windows; this happens A LOT to me too; all drives are 100% fine; just the raid breaks.

Its why I dropped to a nightly sync between 2 independant disks; 24 hours for me isnt a lot of data; and it gives me the same window to manually restore things i delete by accident.

Is RAID really neccisary? without CONSTANTLY changing data; I find a sync to be 'more secure' with that 24 hour 'undo' window. (if you dont add too much NEW in 24 hour)

Samsung silencer.

Quiet, cool, power saving, WITHOUT WD green's TERRIBLE slowness. They're pro.

Also; is this a RAID card? or Windows software RAID? If its windows; this happens A LOT to me too; all drives are 100% fine; just the raid breaks.

Its why I dropped to a nightly sync between 2 independant disks; 24 hours for me isnt a lot of data; and it gives me the same window to manually restore things i delete by accident.

Is RAID really neccisary? without CONSTANTLY changing data; I find a sync to be 'more secure' with that 24 hour 'undo' window. (if you dont add too much NEW in 24 hour)

Its on a hardware raid card. Just a cheap and nasty controller though so its probably just as bad.

Its a business server so while they could probably get away with just regular backups they prefer to use raid and off site backups as well.

Was just worth a mention.

A lot of small businesses use their server for redundancy.

eg. Local copy, server copy (raid 1)

NO reason they cant run:

Local -> Server -> Sync'd Drive

Its a great solution for businesses that DONT want to spend money on proper hardware.

Clearly its not the solution this time; but so few think of it when looking at it from a business standpoint. (then again, not many have been in my unique example [twice] of working for companies who give LITERALLY $0 IT budget)

Edited by Master_Scythe

Was just worth a mention.

A lot of small businesses use their server for redundancy.

eg. Local copy, server copy (raid 1)

NO reason they cant run:

Local -> Server -> Sync'd Drive

Its a great solution for businesses that DONT want to spend money on proper hardware.

Clearly its not the solution this time; but so few think of it when looking at it from a business standpoint. (then again, not many have been in my unique example [twice] of working for companies who give LITERALLY $0 IT budget)

Its only a secondary server used for some pretty mundane work so I dont think raid was really necessary, but its there now so I might as well keep using it.

I've had exactly the opposite experience!

I've had BOTH your experiences; which is why I only use samsung. Running about 11? or so in my house; Myself, and none of my customers have ever reported a dead drive to me.

Wish I could find the old census I keep referencing. The outcome was: Samsung - Shortest warranty, least failures per drive sold

I've had BOTH your experiences; which is why I only use samsung. Running about 11? or so in my house; Myself, and none of my customers have ever reported a dead drive to me.

Wish I could find the old census I keep referencing. The outcome was: Samsung - Shortest warranty, least failures per drive sold

Bah!

I only tell them one years parts and labour warranty.

Then they have to pay!

Drives replaced and we appear to be stable. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

On a side note how cheap are Hdds these days!

$50 for 500gb drives. Even in tasmania the land of inflated prices.

Im amazed.