Sign in to follow this  
jdog

Looking for a CPU cooler

wireless lan.

I'll buy myself a directional antenna :D I've always wanted to see if i can lan something from a couple of blocks away. never had the chance....

that sounds fun!

ill look into it!

add me on steam!

now im off to confirm and then order (not pay) my jan rig!

Edited by jdog

that sounds fun!

ill look into it!

add me on steam!

now im off to confirm and then order (not pay) my jan rig!

ill add you too dude :p

cheers!

ill buy the #119 of atomic tommrow and have a read of the CPU coolers and make my descion from there!

Edited by jdog

cheers!

ill buy the #119 of atomic tommrow and have a read of the CPU coolers and make my descion from there!

honestly I take what atomic says with a grain of salt for most things, Justin just doesn't have the time to do full in depth reviews and this results in a lot of bad products being passed off as good.

for good coolers though you pretty much get what you pay for, IMO H50 is about the best you can get without spending the big $$, while its not as good as the massive air coolers or proper water its very compact, looks nice and is super easy to install.

Edited by nesquick

honestly I take what atomic says with a grain of salt for most things, Justin just doesn't have the time to do full in depth reviews and this results in a lot of bad products being passed off as good.

Just because I don't include twenty pages of graphs with my reviews doesn't invalidate them; I test in a comparable way that takes the price and performance into account. I don't test every single socket and I don't test it at five different configurations for the sockets and I don't test with additional aftermarket fans - because while that'd be nice, it's not what comes with the cooler.

Atomic's testing is far better than most out there, considering the resources we have.

its horses for courses, you do what you can with the resources you have, I wasn't having a dig just pointing out an observation.

Just get a Coolermaster Hyper TX3 or Hyper 212+ which ever one fits.

The TX3 can be had for as little as $23 and the 212+ for $31 (prices from MSY).

its horses for courses, you do what you can with the resources you have, I wasn't having a dig just pointing out an observation.

You're effectively saying don't trust our reviews - that's pretty much a dig!

You're effectively saying don't trust our reviews - that's pretty much a dig!

some things say PSU's you need certain equipment to test a PSU thoroughly which is why silentpcreview, johnnyguru, anandtech and hardwaresecrets are the only sites that one should ever look at in that regards.

edit: this is not really the thread for this, my apologies if you take issue with what I said David and Justin, PM though me if you'd like to discuss it further.

Edited by nesquick

Are you still jealous that Justin got the job nessy? :P

Its not the first time you've implied that you think Justin is a shitty Tech Reviewer.

Its a bit different when sites like Anandtech, silentpcreview etc. Are based online, They can take as much space as they like, whereas AtomicMPC needs to fit into a magazine so the reviews reflect that, they're informative enough as it is and if you want to know more about a particular piece of hardware, then you go to the online reviews.

I find the Atomic articles are written in such a way that they are a joy to read and still offer enough relevant information to help people consider a purchase, if people are still unsure they can go onto the web and check what everyone else thinks about them too.

Its like how I wouldn't purchase a game off a single review alone, but after reading several and getting a general idea of how good the game is, I'd be more inclined to buy it or steer clear of it.

In the case of Air coolers, You don't need 20 pages of crap, a graph of temps running the program of choice should be more than enough to get a general idea of what is worth the cash. As it stands, apart from saving space, I wouldn't say the H50 is that great a cooler, sure its smaller than some of the great air coolers, but the price tag is rather high and having a lower surface area than the likes of the D14 or the Silver Arrow, you'll find its cooling becomes much more limited as the ambient temperature rises.

Sure its a cheap form of water cooling, but when it comes down to it, even a single 120mm rad with a decent fan and a decent cpu block will produce better temps than the H50.

Regardless, if jdog wants to read atomic reviews and make a decision, who are you to tell him not to?

Atomic tests very accurately. Even though its concise they look into most (if not all) of the important variables and, by and large, are more scientific than online tests. That doesn't mean that I always agree with their conclusions but I cant fault their testing for it and their conclusions are drawn from a solid data and an informed opinion as experienced techies.

@Scythe if you have an old copy of atomic handy they did a good wireless aired made out of a pringles can in one of their "how to" sections. Then all youd need is one of the extra wide goldencicrle can antennas to aim it at...

@OP I wouldn't get the H50 with the H70 available but unless you are up for some serious overclocking you could save a lot of dosh with hyper 212 of an Aywun. You can't fault Noctuas quality but they are very expensive for a secondary rig. Although if you wanted to overclock till destruction there is always double TEC + watercooling.........

Edited by UberPenguin

i will read the atomic mag and also look into the TX3/hyper 212 (which wont fit without modding or getting a new case)

the h50/70 is touch on the $$ side..

how did such a simple question go on for so many pages?

@DH+Justin: i trust your reviews!

...and use other sources as well (like you should)

Yeah, the cantenna project from back in the XP3500+ review issue... issue 38? was it? I cant remember off the top of my head. I have it somewhere.

If u trusted their reviews would u look anywhere else ?

Award for best ass kisser goes to jdog.

Just buy a cooler so we can end this thread.

Yes. People are human we all make mistakes. Also, if you respect two publications you may trust them equally.

Award for best ass kisser goes to jdog.

Just buy a cooler so we can end this thread.

me? an ass kisser? i dont think so..

time to cram a hyper 212 into it!

/thread closed!

Edited by jdog

Jdog you realise the Hyper 212 can be mounted horizontally as well? it would fit easily that way.

i didnt know that!

thanks!

time to measure and then re-organise my cables,then buy this thing!

cool,only by fitting the hyper 212 horizontally wouldnt the fan be right next to my PSU fan,thus creating a wind tunnel?

just thinking...

the included fan is not the best it has a very defined whir sound, if you can afford it get like a antec tri cool for it and toss out the included fan.

edit: I forgot the tri cools have sleeve bearings and if you mount them any other way than vertical it fucks the bearings :/

back to the drawing board on that idea I guess.

Edited by nesquick

Not really, if you have it blowing air through the cooler into the PSU fan it will actually help extract the air, which is a good thing.

the included fan is not the best it has a very defined whir sound, if you can afford it get like a antec tri cool for it and toss out the included fan.

Tricools whir aswell :P