Umart has them too.

Just remember your unable to boot from them unless you have EFI enabled which is extremely rare unless you have a MAC.

I'm tossing up grabbing 2 of these in the coming weeks.

You just need to format to partitions of 2TB or less to boot to them? Don't see where this would be any different from a 8TB RAID Array. :-)

You just need to format to partitions of 2TB or less to boot to them? Don't see where this would be any different from a 8TB RAID Array. :-)

Yeah pretty much

Below is a quote from Andandtech for those interested in the 2.1tb barrier for MBR

Pretty much all HDDs (and SSDs) are addressed using a scheme called Logical Block Addressing (LBA). The method is very, well, logical. Storage is addressed linearly, regardless of how the hardware itself is accessed. You start at LBA 0 and you go all the way up to the last address in your device.

The number of LBAs you can address is a function of your hardware and the style of partition you’ve applied to your drive.

Master Boot Record partitioning is by far the most common on PCs today. LBA 0 contains the Master Boot Record (MBR) and your BIOS looks at the contents of LBA 0 to determine how to boot.

Now LBAs under MBR partitions are addressed using 32-bit values, the maximum of which is 2^32 or 4294967296. Each LBA on a hard drive corresponds to a 512-byte sector value (even on 4K advance format drives, they still appear as 512-byte sector drives to the OS), so the largest partition you can have in a MBR partitioned drive is 4294967296 * 512-bytes or 2,199,023,255,552 bytes.

Hard drive manufacturers define 1TB as 1 trillion bytes. If we use that definition then the largest 32-bit MBR partition would be 2.199TB (2,199,023,255,552 bytes / 1,000,000,000,000). If we define 1TB as 1024^4 bytes (TiB) then the largest 32-bit MBR partition would be 2TiB (2,199,023,255,552 bytes / 1,099,511,627,776). Either way, with a 3TB drive there’s no way we’re getting a single 3TB partition using MBR.

In use on all Itanium and Intel based Macs (among other systems) is GPT (GUID Partition Table), and a feature of GPT is 64-bit LBA support.

With 64-bit LBAs the largest 512-byte sector drive we can address is 9.4ZB (Zettabytes - 10^21 or 2^70 bytes depending on if you’re counting in base 10 or 2). That’s an absurd amount of data.

GPT drives are supported as data drives in all x64 versions of Windows as well as Mac OS X and Linux.

If my experience is anything to go by, Win7 x64 will ask to format even a 2TB drive with GPT.

My Win 7 64 is running 4 x 1TB in RAID 0 - formatted to 110GB (XP), 120GB (Win 7 64), 2.0TB and 1.7TB (data) partitions - and never said a thing to me about GPT. I needed GPT to go larger than 2TB, but saw no point in doing so. The partitions were created in NTFS by my RAID controller, and then formatted again with Win 64. I'm also using a RocketRAID 640 controller, but don't think that would make any difference either. :-)

Edited by darklife41

Umart has them too.

Just remember your unable to boot from them unless you have EFI enabled which is extremely rare unless you have a MAC.

However a standard Win7 install creates a 100Mb system partition for booting so shouldn't you be able to then make a single large partition over 2Gb in size for the actual OS install?

Umart has them too.

However a standard Win7 install creates a 100Mb system partition for booting so shouldn't you be able to then make a single large partition over 2Gb in size for the actual OS install?

I pretty sure that the answer is 'no you can't' but to be honest the specifics I'm not sure of know. I think it's down to a case of the historical method of formatting/partitioning being incompatible with 3 TB drives, and the new method (GPT or something) requiring EFI, so it's not so much that BIOS systems are fundamentally incompatible with ~ 3TB drives as that the format/partitioning methods they can use being incompatible with those drives. Anandtech did a good review of a the first 3TB drive (a Seagate external) which went into this if you're interested.