have decided to order this http://www.adaptec.com/en-gb/products/cont...entry/sas-2805/

i have recently had a couple of folders go missing on my onboard raid 5 array and dont want to loose anymore so i bought 3 more drives and will cram it all into my case.

so in the end i will have 8 1.5tb's in raid 5 instead of 5 using onboard controller.

any thoughts on speed/reliability of these adaptec cards ?

i was going to build a server but i lan alot and want plenty of space on my game rig so people can leech and i can leech back.

waits for someone to tell me raid isnt a backup, well what would you backup 10 tb worth of stuff with ?

I don't have the same card but I do run a few Adaptecs in my systems. I have found they are reliable but transfer speeds are down compared to some of the onboard solutions like the Intel and nForce chips.

If you have the BBU then follow the instructions and pay attention to the warning about cache settings. The RAID cards are designed more for RAID intended drivers rather than plane-jane desktop drives that can give errors when there are multiple sets of caches. Usuall disable the HDD's cache and let the card do the cache, thats what the BBU is for. the other reasons that desktop drives can be fussy is the firmwares are different.

If your data is important then keeping the RAID and other drives on a second system is always wise. Essentially, the second would become a large NAS but it means that if you main system crashes (overclocking gone bad or bad programs) then the second is still running fine and safe.

Edited by Nasty-Pastie

unfortunatelly amd akimbo wants an all in one box so the big nas is not really an option.

adaptec have been around a long time and the 2 series cards have been out a while. I would think most of their issues have been found and solved by now.

just don't get green drives for raid 5 they are rubbish.

all drives will be seagate and like the idea of everything in one box not spanned all over the house in multiple boxes.

for backup i might have to invest in some 2tb drives in my wifes computer.

how many people can say they have a hex core, watercooled, sli rig that they take to lans with 10tb of storage? not many.

hopefully all goes well with the setup, im starting to backup my data to my mates server tomorrow then i have to wait for my card to come in probly monday or tuesday.

will keep you guys updated.

i have recently had a couple of folders go missing on my onboard raid 5 array and dont want to loose anymore so i bought 3 more drives and will cram it all into my case.

waits for someone to tell me raid isnt a backup, well what would you backup 10 tb worth of stuff with ?

I'd try to find out what it was that lost the couple of folders. That sounds more like a software issue with the filesystem than a failure on the part of the controller. Unless you are getting I/O errors trying to read files. Then the situation changes.

no hardware fault or raid fault im baffled, never had a read error or had array verify.

no prob's with windows running off my ssd but same controller.

not sure what caused it but im not happy bout it, lost nearly 2tb worth of stuff.

no hardware fault or raid fault im baffled, never had a read error or had array verify.

no prob's with windows running off my ssd but same controller.

not sure what caused it but im not happy bout it, lost nearly 2tb worth of stuff.

I have had this before and the issue was caused by a mixture of bad Matrix software and Cache settings. The culprit was the use of the newer 9.XX software rather than the older 8.9 stuff. The newer stuff is best suited for SSD's and the ICH10R chipsets. The newer software however was prone to random things including occasional lock-ups and files just vanishing.

adaptec have been around a long time and the 2 series cards have been out a while. I would think most of their issues have been found and solved by now

LOL

I run 2 series cards.