Sign in to follow this  
lordsid

Wireless 802.11n Router

Decided it is time to upgrade my now aging router and just wondered what you guys thought would be the best option.

Not really sure of any brands or sorts, looking to spend up to $100, definitely want it to be 802.11n so yeah any ideas

Just a router or a modem router?

Just a normal router I think, bigpond cable modem still works fine so unless you think I should change it probably a modem routers probably not required

Had a look, any reason why you prefer the tl-wr1043d over the wrt160n - am leaning towards the wrt160n but just wanted to see what your opinion was

Just a normal router I think, bigpond cable modem still works fine so unless you think I should change it probably a modem routers probably not required

Ah a cable modem, then no that is not user changeable as the modem itself needs to be authenticated on the network AFAIK.

In that case the first two bowiee linked to should be fine.

I am a bit of a fan of the TP-link stuff, having used two of their ADSL modem routers and they have performed well.

I currently have a Billion 7800N ADSL modem router and the only reason for the switch was TP-Link do not as yet do a wireless N Gigabit LAN ADSL modem router.

Had a look, any reason why you prefer the tl-wr1043d over the wrt160n - am leaning towards the wrt160n but just wanted to see what your opinion was

I assume you mean the wrt160n over the tl-wr1043nd, not the other way around as you have posted. As the linksys wrt160n was posted first as my first choice. ;)

The reason I prefer Linksys is because of price/performance, it's all I use here and I also encourage my clients to use linksys also. But I like to give people a choice, so based on reports here and at other forums, I have formed the opinion that TP-Link is also a good reliable product.

Edited by bowiee

The I prefer Linksys is because of price/performance, it's all I use here and I also encourage my clients to use linksys also. But I like to give people a choice, so based on reports here and at other forums, I have formed the opinion that TP-Link is also a good reliable product.

Thanks for that

Have had another look around and found the E3000 which seems to tickle my fancy Cisco E-3000 Wireless N 300 Router

Its $165 at another store and does what i want it to, i know my budget was orginally $100 but knowing me I probably wont be updating it for the next decade lol.

The dual-band wireless should be handy for my media-center-to-be so seems pretty worthwhile, and until then i can plug in my external harddrive using the usb port on it...

Still uncertain at this stage decisions probably going to be made over the next few days so i you know of any others i should know look at please comment

Thinking about installing DD-WRT on the router when(if) i get it- is it worth it or would i be better to just use the stock OS

Cheers for your help

I would just use the stock software (it's all I use) IMHO you will find it does everything you want. :)

They all seem to work pretty well to be honest, although D-Link has given me a few headaches from time to time, usually fixed with a firmware flash.

I've had Billion, perfectly ok, Linksys is still in use, I think, but since we went with iinet's BoB we have their badged Belkin unit and it is fine as well.

Cheers

Oh yes stay away from D-Link as chrisg pointed out he has had trouble with them, and I can tell you clients who have gone against advice given to them to buy anything but D-Link always regret it. I am sure that some people use them without problem, but in my experience that's the exception to the rule.

I don't really understand D-Link marketing/QA - seen too many instances of what came out of the box being basically unusable, get the latest firmware and it is ok, so why ship what is not working?

Cheersw

I don't really understand D-Link marketing/QA - seen too many instances of what came out of the box being basically unusable, get the latest firmware and it is ok, so why ship what is not working?

Cheersw

Because it's too much effort to RA their products really, they don't care if it works or not. people still seem to buy their crap so they're making money

:)

I was at an Intertop in San Francisco years ago and had a look at the D-Link stand. One of their incredibly smarmy booth people told me "D-Link is all about profit, it's what we sell."

It was right then that my business partner and I decided to have nothing more to do with them.

Cheers